News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

A Bruges Sidebar: ROYAL ZOUTE GC New
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »

Sandwiched between the huge port of Zeebrugge and the Nederland border is the Belgian resort of Knokke.  Between the two countries is the Zwin, a nature reserve well known for its salt resistant flora.  At one time this tidal inlet connected Bruges with the sea, but this silted up long ago, hence the reason for constructing the relatively new port of Zeebrugge.  Knokke is not without its charms with a large beach as its focal point, however, we have come to Knokke for one reason and that is to play a course in the fashionable Zoute district of town.  The neighbourhood is quite obviously heavily influenced by wealthy British tourists seeking clean sea air in the early part of the last century.  As a result, and with the foresight of the still very well known Lippens family, what we now know as Royal Zoute was eventually built.  The history of the courses is a bit muddled, but it would seem the Championship Course is perhaps 50% Colt (many alterations required due to war time damage).  It would also seem The Harris Brothers built the course and Suttons provided the seed for what must have been a challenging project to grow grass among the dunes.     

Flanders is generally quite flat, except for this small coastal section around Knokke so the location for the course was not accidental.   Like Royal Lytham, le Zoute is now cut off from the sea by a hundred years of urbanization, but there is an unmistakable links quality to the turf; although, it is safe to say Lytham’s surrounding neighbourhood is somewhat less grand than that of le Zoute.

As one of a small handful of premier clubs in Belgium, it is no surprise le Zoute has hosted the Belgium Open on many occasions.  Illustrious golfers such as Walter Hagen (1924), Roberto De Vicenzo (1950) and Nick Faldo (1994) all claimed victory on this storied course.  Sadly, the event can no longer provide the purse required to draw the top names in the game and is now a minor Open in Europe.  As hinted at previously, the terrain and turf at le Zoute are perfect for golf.  There is a lovely mix of rolling holes not dissimilar to the London Heathlands mixed in with a few flat holes.  Unfortunately, most of the flatter holes are rather uninspiring.  This indifferent golf is most evident on the opening and closing two holes, despite some good land movement on 17 and the best green on the course at 18. 

After two prosaic opening holes, perhaps the best hole on the course comes on the third.  Well known for his par 3s, it is ironic then that the one-shot 3rd is not a Colt hole.  This hole would be difficult if played straight to the green...   

now turn the green oblong and we have a challenging hole with great interest.  The green is a two-tier affair, a trait we shall see a few times in the round.

#4 takes us to roly poly ground.  There is a hidden bunker left which will catch a kareemed drive if one is lucky.  The alternative to sand is likely a lost ball in the trees.  The green slopes quite a but from the rear so its essential to stay below the hole.  The fifth is a short par 5 which turns hard left and crosses two pinching bunkers.  While short, the green is a tough target to hit in two. 

The 6th too runs over tumbling terrain and features a false front.  Most of the greens with movement are one or two-tier, back to front or false front types.  Like #6, the 7th too is difficult.  There is no respite at the 8th, a par 3 of some 210 yards. With the exception of 11, the par 3s are quite challenging.   

#9 turns sharply between dunes to a green hidden by sand well short of the putting surface.  Probably the best par 4 on the course, the tenth is a sort of double dogleg.  The fairway first turns left around a 10-12 foot mesa like dune.  There are two bunkers on the mesa, but flat bellies can consider having a go at the carry.  The green is behind rumpling, high ground with bunkers protecting the front corners.   

Continuing the relentless march around the perimeter of the course, the 11th seemed to capture something that is amiss with the design.  The green complexes don't feel right to me, or at least they feel very un-Colt-like, especially for a Harris Brothers job.  The green surfaces seem a bit disconnected from the shaping and bunkering.  The twelfth is a hard par 5.  The fairway hugs the boundary line, but there seems to be a spur heading right as well.  I found myself very confused on the tee.  In the end, I decided to play out right rather than try a blindish hook.  I am still not sure, but I seemed to be on a part of the course which didn't lead to the 12th green (it was a blind shot back to the fairway) or to a hole on the inner course...very strange.  The next, a longish par 4, is the only hole at Zoute which doesn't have a bunker.  The hole can be short-cut a bit by driving over the left-hand hollow.  The approach is blind to a green without much interest.

We turn back on ourselves for the 14th.  A medium-length par 4 turning right between mesa dunes.  The bunkers housed in the dunes don't look the part and that was the same story the entire day. 

The angled, heavily sloped green is very good. 

Another good hole and I think the best three-shotter, #15 plays down a secluded avenue of trees.  A cut out gouges into the fairway as it turns left making for an excellent second shot if the drive isn't stellar.  The front of the green is heavily guarded by three bunkers.

The tough golf continues with the very intimidating 16th.  The blind bunker down the right is reminiscent of Raynor.

Just as the course was gaining momentum for a final strong push, a few tough, but unremarkable holes finish the round.  Mind you, the best green was saved for last, 18.

The house befits the stature of the club.

I have mixed feelings about le Zoute.  I get the impression the turf and terrain should have produced something a bit special.  It could be that some prime property was sacrificed to the inner course and that some of Colt's ingenuity was wiped off the face of the earth during WWII.  In any case, the course doesn't quite do it for me.  Among several decent to bland holes, there are only four (#s 3, 5, 10 & 16) which really turned my head. Given that magnificent terrain and superb turf, I would have expected an exceptional design; Zoute falls well short of this. Still, if I do make it back to Bruges, I may make time for a return visit.  It will be difficult to do because Bruges is an outrageously beautiful city punching miles beyond its size.  2014

Jerusalem Chapel

Hudenvettersplein

Rozenhoedkaii

Walplein

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:45:18 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: A Bruges Sidebar: ROYAL ZOUTE GC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:44:11 AM »
Sheehy

The house is more attractive from the outside than inside.  Its not bad in a sort of faded British way.  There are about half a dozen rooms upstairs which makes it incredibly convenient to play a late PM game and hit the bricks in the AM.  I want to say its half off the green fee for those staying on site, but I bet the rooms are well over-priced. 

Wow, I think Zoute would struggle to make my top 100 in GB&I let alone the world - thats crazy talk.  Zoute is more or less on par with places like Liphook, Cavendish, Huntercombe, Stoneham, Whit Heath, Knole Park, Prestbury etc.  The design of Zoute isn't as good as these, but the turf gives it a kick up.  I was a bit underwhelmed and think it may be time to re-Coltify Zoute...the course seems mish-mashy to me. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom Kelly

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
Looks like a renovation waiting to happen, plenty of potential.

A couple of the greens look abit out of place though, pushed up and banked back into the player not very subtly. Is this common with the rest of them? 18 looks real nice though.

Frank Pont

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
Looks like a renovation waiting to happen, plenty of potential.

A couple of the greens look abit out of place though, pushed up and banked back into the player not very subtly. Is this common with the rest of them? 18 looks real nice though.

The course has a lot of potential, needs a thorough bunker restoration, tree removal in places and original mowing lines reinstated.
Would be happy to help, but I think they are using a local Belgian architect already.

Only green 3 is not original as far as I recall, PT should know more on that.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Thank you for this tour Sean.

I recall watching the Belgian Open on TV when it was played at Royal Zoute quite a few times in the 1990's. Always appeared an interesting course, one I remember the Tour Pro's making nice comments about so your comparison with the likes of Liphook, Cavendish, Huntercombe, Stoneham, Whittington Heath, Knowle Park, Prestbury etc is interesting. Maybe times have just moved on. It happens.

Bruges looks rather nice.

Is this figure mimicing the expression of someone who paid a thick wedge of cash to play a course that ultimately turned out to be somewhat disappointing! :)

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
atb

I didn't pay that much, or rather I did, but collected half my cash back after complaining about the work crew harassing me for several holes.  I have never seen anything quite like this.  The game didn't feel relaxed as mowers were whizzing around all over the place and guys were working on greens.  Twice, I was lining up approaches only to stop mid-swing because the green keeper swooped in on the rider and moved the flag off the green...incredibly rude to a paying customer.  The Caddie Master was cool about it though and refunded half the green fee for the grief.  I am not sure I would rush back for 105 Euro...thats about 85 quid...too much for a course the quality of Zoute unless one is giddy like a girl on royal status and ambience of the house. 

I was intrigued by the inner course.  There looked to be some good holes and quite small greens.

Bruges is an excellent place to wander about and there is a lot of cool stuff nearby for day trips.  The restaurants too are of a very high calibre.  I was most impressed. 

Ciao

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
Royal Ostende is a sad course. There are some genuine links holes, but many make-weights, too. It's been cut into pieces by a road running through the course. Clubhouse is visually interesting.

I like Royal Antwerp - very flat, full of trees and strategic. Probably too short for you big hitters but it suited my limited game when I played there. Some very fine restaurants.

Royal Belgique I loved - all sorts of interesting twists and turns through lovely parkland with a huge variety of trees from the Royal Arboretum.

RGC des Fagnes really appealed to me - high ground heathland with some stunning views.

I also loved the big gestures and fine clubhouse of R Sart-Tilman near Liege. Drouhin burgundies, I recall!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
Sean

The 11th is a brand new green. Whittaker and I spoke to the pro about it and his memory is much better than mine with these things. I recall that the green was redone several years ago and for some reason the club didn't care for that version so they built the new one in house. As  I recall it was a pretty boring green with no remarkable features or internal movement. I liked the course and it is a nice resort property with several very good holes but not strong and daring like most of the Colts I have played.

R Ostend is a travesty and recently made much worse by ridiculously inept alteration by Hawtree but it has(had) a great chef!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
Chez Wardo

It seems to me a lot of the greens were somewhat disconnected in one way or another.  I found this aspect of the course very disappointing.

Ciao

Christoph Meister

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 03:18:31 AM »
.....As a result, and with the foresight of the still very well known Lippens family, what we now know as Royal Zoute was eventually built.  The history of the courses is a bit muddled, but it would seem the Championship Course is perhaps 50% Colt (many alterations required due to war time damage)....

Perhaps the best hole on the course comes early after a few rather prosaic holes.  Well known for his par 3s, it is ironic then that the one-shot 3rd is not a Colt hole.  ...

The 6th too runs over tumbling terrain and features a false front.  Most of the greens with movement are one of two-tier, back to front or false front types.  Like #6, the 7th too is difficult.  

There is no respite at the 8th, a par 4 of some 210 yards. With the exception of 11, the par 3s are quite challenging.  

Continuing the relentless march around the perimeter of the course, the 11th seemed to capture something that is amiss with the design.  The green complexes don't feel right to me, or at least they feel very un-Colt-like, especially for a Harris Brothers job.  The green surfaces seem a bit disconnected from the shaping and bunkering.  The twelfth is a hard par 5.  The fairway hugs the boundary line, but there seems to be a spur heading right as well.  I found myself very confused on the tee.  In the end, I decided to play out right rather than try a blindish hook.  I am still not sure, but I seem to be on a part of the course which didn't lead to the 12th green (it was a blind shot back to the fairway) or to a hole on the inner course...very strange.  The next, a longish par 4, is the only hole at Zoute which doesn't have a bunker.  The hole can be short-cut a bit by driving over the left-hand hollow.  The approach is blind to a green without much interest.

Dear All,

please find below a 1931 layout plan for Royal Zoute which might help to unmuddle at least the history of the course. In former times the Club house used to be a different building at another location, roughly behind today's 12th green. So what is hole 1 on today's Championship course used to be hole 6 in 1931. As you can see today's No.3 is effectively a new hole added. Also today's No.6 is a new hole, whereas on 8 the Golfer used to play onto the green from a different angle.

Not sure if today's No.11 is also a reconstructed hole, but most importantly Sean_A spotted very well "a spur heading to the right" on No.12 - and indeed this spur was heading right onto green 17 in former times. Today's  hole No. 12 is played from the old 17th tee onto the old(?) 18th green. The modern drawing I have seems to indicate a bunker for hole no. 13, but maybe that one has gone.

So now I leave it to you to maybe spot even some more interesting differences.

Best

Christoph

There also used to be a third course at nearby Lekkerbek called "Le Nouveau Golf" that did not survive WW II. You'll soon read more about it on http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk !
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:31:54 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
Interesting photo, particularly (at left) the planks or boards adjacent to the tee on which to walk.

Fortunate from the fatigue aspect that courses in yee olde days were shorter in length because walking in heavy boots over open, rough sandy terrain with soft slippery sand is hard on the legs and tiring at the best of times. Nowadays grass and formal paths abound.

atb

Christoph Meister

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »
Thomas,

here is another postcard showing Planks in the very bottom right hand corner:

Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Thomas Dai

Re: A Bruges Sidebar: ROYAL ZOUTE GC New
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
Another lovely old photo. Thanks for sharing it Christoph.

I see the planks.

Would that be some kind of woven hessian or rush-matting their teeing off from?

Also, could that be a practice net secured by ropes in the background (behind the watching folks)?

The terrain really is pretty rough in comparison to what we're used to these days - 'rough' was called 'rough' and 'fair way' termed 'fairway' for good reasons! :)

atb

Later edit - some coloured photos from early days at Knocke-Zoute -

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:02:10 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back