News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon McSweeny

Stone Eagle
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
Not sure this is the best idea in light of recent events- but I would rather be uncouth than let someone miss out on a unique opportunity. If this truly does not belong, please delete as necessary.

The SCGA has scheduled (and recently extended the Registration for) a day of golf at Stone Eagle on Tuesday, May 20th.

For any SCGA members, you can register to play through the SCGA. For any non-members of the SCGA, you are welcome as a guest of an SCGA member provided slots remain (and it appears that slots will remain open.) Should anyone have interest in the latter approach, I would be happy to assist in any way permissible (and may be able to assist a couple of people if needed.)

I will also be playing in the valley on the two days before if anyone wants to get their summer tan started early.

Tom_Doak

Re: Stone Eagle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:21:49 PM »
The last time anybody from this site played Stone Eagle, it was part of a group set up in early June, with temps well over 100 degrees, and it set back the reputation of the course considerably because most attendees couldn't hack the weather.

I wish some of you would get to play it in-season.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
The last time anybody from this site played Stone Eagle, it was part of a group set up in early June, with temps well over 100 degrees, and it set back the reputation of the course considerably because most attendees couldn't hack the weather.

I was part of that mostly hardy group.   Stone Eagle was the afternoon round of a 36-hole day.  I'm pretty sure I really enjoyed Stone Eagle but the day is a bit hazy in my memory. 

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

jkinney

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
If you want to play SE in June, then tee off very early in the morning. It is a club & course highly prized by its 200+ members as an ideal winter playground, but the bulk have left by mid May for northern climes. IMO, SE is one of the great golfing grounds in the world, as enchanting to me in a desert way as National is in a seaside/linksland way. And that is a very high compliment indeed to you, Tom Doak.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
Let me say this:  Stone Eagle is the most unique golf course I’ve ever seen.  It is literally in a class by itself.  Bear in mind that I’m not a rater or particularly well-traveled when it comes to golf courses, but I spent 20 years shooting pictures on location in some 60 countries and trust my eyeballs when it comes to evaluating a landscape.  This place is a work of landscape art.  Golf on Mars, so stunning that it even exists that playing golf is a distraction.  Standing there looking at it, I couldn’t quite believe it was possible.  If you appreciate architecture as an act of creation and imagination and have some knowledge about how a golf course is constructed, Stone Eagle will trip your breakers.

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »

I was part of that mostly hardy group.    Stone Eagle was the afternoon round of a 36-hole day.  I'm pretty sure I really enjoyed Stone Eagle but the day is a bit hazy in my memory.  

As was I.  Almost 8 years ago if you can believe it. We played other courses in the heat as well and those courses reputations seemed to not be as affected. Many that were there that afternoon played the next morning as well at Stone Eagle and saw it under much better circumstances.

I have played Stone Eagle in in the winter as well. Fantastic course and place, but no better architecturally in the winter than is in the summer, from what I could see.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:06:12 AM by Sean Leary »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 01:37:16 AM »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David_Elvins

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 06:00:39 AM »
Other than the fact it is a tough walk, I haven't had a better inland golf experience  than an April morning at Stone Eagle (Philadelphia excepted).  An amazing place.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Stone Eagle earlier this year and highly recommend it.  I don't have much to add that everyone else has already said but it is a truly unique golf course.  I would not plan on walking it though.  It is a difficult walk in the winter months.  Wouldn't want to even attempt it in the summer!

jkinney

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
SE is walkable in cool weather if one is in very good shape - otherwise it isn't, unless one opts to have a caddie or partner drive a cart. That way one can walk the great bulk of the fairways and ride with a driver on the cart paths. That's plenty of exercise in itself, and it's great way to take in the great beauty of the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 07:22:53 PM »
Other than the fact it is a tough walk, I haven't had a better inland golf experience  than an April morning at Stone Eagle (Philadelphia excepted).  An amazing place.

That must be the new back tee on #17.  Eric does better tie-in work than that!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »

In house?

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
 8)  SE and all of its Palm springs desert neighbors must use an incredible amount of water in the summer...  any recycling of sanitary wastewater done there?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »

I'm on it...contact me off list for deets:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »

Looks Photoshopped to me.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark_Fine

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
Just played Stone Eagle for the first time.  I have to say I loved it.  Word in the area was that the greens were over the top.  Frankly, I disagree with that opinion.  Some were severe with limited hole locations but overall I thought they were very playable and required accurate approach play.  The course overall is exceptional.  I loved the width and angles of play and sense of freedom.  It is beautifully bunkered and routed though the foothills though not really walkable.  A must see in the desert.

Anton

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
Fantastic opportunity to play a truly unique course in the PS area.  Nothing else looks or plays like it in that town.  Highly recommend seizing the opportunity. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

David Wuthrich

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »

A must play if you are in PS!

DW

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »
I played it and the Quarry on successive days. Both were nothing short of wonderful. The scenery is spectacular and the golf is excellent. Stone Eagle is th biggest surprise of my last five years. I loved everything about it. If you get the opportunity to,play it, do.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matthew Sander

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 11:27:27 PM »
Just played Stone Eagle for the first time.  I have to say I loved it.  Word in the area was that the greens were over the top.  Frankly, I disagree with that opinion.  Some were severe with limited hole locations but overall I thought they were very playable and required accurate approach play.  The course overall is exceptional.  I loved the width and angles of play and sense of freedom.  It is beautifully bunkered and routed though the foothills though not really walkable.  A must see in the desert.

Hi Mark,

I also played Stone Eagle this week and was beyond impressed. I really don't get the criticism of the greens. My caddie mentioned that there are many that hold critical opinions of the greens. My response was that they actually seem relatively tame (in terms of contour) when compared to some of Tom's other courses. Now, they are very difficult which is due primarily to the mountain effect and it is more prevalent at SE than any other course I've seen. So when you consider the contours that do exist and the mountain effect, you are left with a difficult (tricky but not "tricked" up) set of greens. They are not unfair, and personally I found them to be exceedingly fun and would only find them more so if I were a member trying to find their idiosyncrasies through repeated play. My opinion is only worth so much though...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 01:39:11 AM »
NCGA(NoCal) has a partnership with SCGA so their members can get the deal also. I skipped the afternoon round at that KP but played the next morning and consider StoneEagle the best course in the Palm Springs area.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 06:33:29 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Mark. Stone Eagle is a gem, for a variety of reasons.

The highly challenging terrain severe slopes along that canyon would've deterred most other architects, or at least yielded a far less enjoyable, and brilliant, design. I wonder whether this near moonscape of a property would be tackled today...by anyone not certifiably insane.

Furthermore, I believe that the evolution of desert golf is near complete...from the early genius of Red Lawrence's Desert Forest and C&C's We-Ko-Pa through to the incredible artificiality of Shadow Creek to the enlightened Stone Eagle. Stone Eagle is, IMO, that important a work for this sub-specific genre.

Some may criticize the greens (and I'm not always a fan of the perpetual and overt undulation found in most other TD courses), however Stone Eagle's mimic the movements of the canyon's footings and don't seem to fight the natural slopes and shoulders.

The course's width is exhilarating yet retains strategic advantages once you learn where to put a tee shot if you want any chance of exacting a close approach. The eye is easily fooled, but amply rewarded with well-placed shots.

Many folks I've discussed Stone Eagle with put it farther down their list of Doak creations, yet for some reason, I always think of it much closer to the top. Maybe it's my apples-to-apples comparison (desert vs. desert, instead of inland or shoreline), but after playing it numerous times, I've always appreciated it more and more and think it belongs at the top of any examination list. It deserves far more credit and attention than it has received to date.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 08:38:26 PM »

Propelled by a rare albatross on the 17th hole, Margolis fired an 8-under 63 from the back tees at Stone Eagle Golf Club in Palm Desert. That broke the record from those tees set by former PGA Championship winner Jason Day in 2022.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/propelled-by-an-albatross-this-california-high-school-golfer-broke-jason-day-s-course-record/ar-AA1o03F2?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b9e13f9dd51640bd97312ce242baf8b7&ei=19

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back