News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Urbina

Re: Gil Hanse Press Release
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
Wow,

I am totally impressed with the selection, when asked I had picked the Jack Nicklaus group because of his Iconic name and the number of courses he has done world wide.

I like underdogs.

What a nice press release.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
I was 99% certain it was gonna be Nicklaus or Gary Player.

Good week for Mr Hanse... first the Doral project and now this :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
Wow,

I am totally impressed with the selection, when asked I had picked the Jack Nicklaus group because of his Iconic name and the number of courses he has done world wide.

I like underdogs.

What a nice press release.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm also impressed with Gil's presentation and I guess it's fair to say he won it as opposed to the others losing it.  Using David Fay in a video was brilliant.

PGertner

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »
Congratulations Gil and partners!!

There is not a better guy in golf, and I am so happy the world will see his talents of design and golf course building!!!

Patrick Gertner
Potowomut Golf Club
East Greenwich, RI

Mark McKeever

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »
Awesome news.  Congrats to all involved!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
Congrats to Gil, Tommy, Ian, and others who undoubtedly put their hearts into this bid.  This is awesome news!
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Rob Rigg

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
Crazy exciting that an "architect" not a "pro" won the competition - the presentation must have been brilliant.

Congrats to Gil and his team along with Tommy, Ian and the rest of the crew that helped out.

This is a major victory for those who love GCA and thoughtful course design.

Looks like a fun/interesting layout - the inner/outer circle on the nines is pretty cool.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
Congrats as well to Gil and Co for this opportunity....it'll be a chance to shine on the big stage.

Of the non-PGA big names, I would have thought Doak to be the front-runner, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
I like the idea of sustainability as an overriding theme on the design. I think that message is bigger than the competition.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:13:44 PM by Ian Andrew »

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
Congrats as well to Gil and Co for this opportunity....it'll be a chance to shine on the big stage.

Of the non-PGA big names, I would have thought Doak to be the front-runner, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Congrats to Gil.
Obviously many of us were rooting fo our homer Tom Doak, but we're very pleased with the outcome.

It would seem that having the opportunity/demand to present a routing gave an edge to those who rely on their experience and skill in the field, rather than their name which may have been achieved or at least enhanced by playing record.
I know the candidates weren't given a whole lot of time on the land so their work is very preliminary and no doubt subject to change once spending a lot of time on the property,but it does bring up an interesting scenario/consideration.

Many times candidates are reluctant to submit a routing prior to getting the job for fear it may be plagerized.
I would say in this case, without nailing the interview and routing, that a nonhousehold name underdog would have no shot, and all candidates being forced to reveal a lot was an advantage to candidates not well known to the committee. Or at least leveled the playing field and gave them a chance to show what they would do vs. what the big names came up with.
Once they got their foot(routing) in the door they had a chance.

Anyway congrats
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:02:31 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brock Peyer

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »
Congrats, this is fantastic news.

George Pazin

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
Just a minor clarification or maybe reminder to some who are newer here:

Gil actually used to post a good bit, back in the early days of the site. Much like Tom, he was always forthright in his explanations and discussions of his courses, and always offered insight into the things many of us are just guessing about. I believe his account is still active and he does still post, albeit quite infrequently.

In a weird way, I'm kinda happy when the architects aren't posting quite as much, because I hope that means they are busy with work.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
My hat is off to Gil and his team for this honor. I hope the project turns out great and reflects on him and the firm in the most flattering way possible. cheers Tiger

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
It kind of looks like a different version of Rustic Canyon.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
Freakin' awesome!

I love French Creek and Inniscrone, and I also love the restoration work at CC of Rochester and Monroe here in Rochester.  What a great choice!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
Brazilian Brassie anyone?  Rio Rutter?  South American Spoon?  Carnival Cleek?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
It kind of looks like a different version of Rustic Canyon.

If the course turns out as well as Rustic it will be a great venue and a terrific public course thereafter.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:22:48 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

George_Bahto

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
Boy, I’m excited.

As most o you know I have worked on a number of restoration projects with Gil as well as a number of Master Plans, so I have intimate knowledge to his innovative thinking when it comes to course design and redesign.

For me, an ex-dry cleaner - hah, it was a wonderful experience and the time we spent together over the past 12-13 years was an experience I’ll never forget.

In 1999 Gil turned over to me a small project he was involved with, out on Long Island  while he was building his Tall Grass course. It led to a very interesting experience for me, something that never crossed my mind before; building a golf course .......... it developed into what is now Stonebridge, a muni out in Hauppauge, NY. - not much of a course but, to me as a total novice, to see your thoughts and visions “grow” out of the ground, and grow into a course people would play for many years was very exciting.

Gil had routed the course, but left the finals to me, touching up the tight routing (about 96-acres - phew) and what was most cool,  it was up to me to design the green surfaces and finally overseeing the construction of the course.

I met Gil a few years earlier while he was working on the Brookville course and also Morris County CC here in NJ. I had been in the midst of researching the Macdonald book and he asked me to take a look at the bunker shapes and angles.

Two very special projects together came later, the restoration of Essex County CC and, of course, Sleepy Hollow.

These may be “chump change” type jobs for most architects, but for me, at this point in my life, these were extraordinary, and very rewarding experiences. I love restorations.

Working and making decisions in the field with Gil during these and other projects demonstrated to me the genius of his design philosophies and creativeness and with him “allowing” my input on occasion, the entire experience was very satisfying.

Gilbert Hanse is one of my very good friends and to see him advance to these lofty levels is such a thrill for me.

But as many have said, this a huge boost for golf course architecture as we think of it. The usual star power (under circumstances such as this) has taken a back seat.

Congratulations, good friend
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:26:43 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
George:  Very nicely said.

Dave:  Tommy is so frigin busted.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
I wonder if Caveman Construction will be involved?  (LOVE that name!)

http://www.hansegolfdesign.com/Caveman_Construction.html

Mike_Young

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »
Congratulations to Gil.  It is quite an honor. 
One of the most significant things about this to me is the fact that the architect's team  will build the course I assume.  And I think that is the future of golf design. 
Congrats.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
Well done to Gil. A golf course architect who is a professional rather than a professional golfer who is a golf course architect. Good to see.
Congrats to Ian and Tommy for their assistance.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
I like the idea of sustainability as an overriding theme on the design. I think that message is bigger than the competition.

I think sustainability isn't just a message that was bigger that the competition's, it's the only way for golf to continue in the future.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:17:30 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

William_G

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's all about the golf!

Tim Nugent

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
Whoo Hooo!!!  How do you like them apples? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  Too bad they didn't have room to put a Doak next door.
While I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the choice, I can't help but wonder if we aren't witness to a watershed moment in golf design - "The day the music (read 'Pro Designer') died".
Coasting is a downhill process

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back