News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Gil Hanse Press Release
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:16 PM »
Just got this from Tommy Naccarato (whose ecstatic!)

Hanse Golf Design chosen as a designer for the Rio 2016™ Olympics Golf Course
(Official Statement from Gibert S. Hanse for publication)

We want to take this opportunity to say how honored and humbled we are to have been selected to design the golf course for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.  On behalf of everyone involved with the Hanse Golf Course Design presentation, thank you to the City of Rio de Janeiro, the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, and the International Golf Federation for placing their trust in us to deliver a course that will become the first course to host golf in the Olympics since 1904.
It has always been our goal to produce pleasurable and interesting golf courses, so needless to say we are excited that our body of work has been deemed to be of a standard that will provide a great stage for the Olympic games while providing a long lasting legacy for the game of golf in Brazil.  We will strive to produce a course that will maximize the benefits of the site while creating an identity that is in keeping with the natural terrain, vegetation and wildlife indigenous to what we believe will be transformed into a “picturesque” landscape which will make the people of Rio proud. As the interest of any course is ultimately felt in the way it plays, we hope to construct something that will prove to be a fascinating study in the many faces it presents: options, recovery shots,  and a sense of whimsy are all critical components which we think will make the 2016 Olympic course fun to play.  The traditions of the game and of its most artful designs have taught us so much, and it is within these traditions that we will seek to provide a joyful design that will reinforce in future generations the unique character of the courses upon which golf is played can be a singular experience in the world of sports.
As you can imagine and as only such an once-in-a-lifetime design commission deserves, this was a comprehensive process and I need to first and foremost thank Jim Wagner, my incredibly talented design partner. His creativity makes all of our work better.  Also, a great debt of thanks to our partners on this project, Owen Larkin, head of The Larkin Group, Margie Larkin, David Fay along with Jeff Carlson and Frank Rossi, for creating an environmentally-sustainable golf course template that will set the standards for this emerging golf market.  Furthermore, we have benefited greatly from the support of Hall of Famer Amy Alcott, who unselfishly accepted a supporting role on this project and brought her great playing and teaching credentials to our team.  The technical support and advice of Tommy Naccarato, Andrea Lynch, Ian Andrew, and Larry Rodgers helped us to prepare a solid presentation that would certainly have been lacking if not for their considerable help.  We also want to thank all of the clubs, co-workers, and friends who have supported us with work over these nearly 20 years, the sum of those experiences has put us in this position today.  And lastly my deepest thanks and gratitude to my wonderful wife Tracey and family, Chelsea, Tyler, and Caley. They have sacrificed much in the way of my time, I hope in some way that the enjoyment of this accomplishment will help to repay that sacrifice.

Best,
Gilbert S. Hanse
Hanse Golf Design

Eric Smith

Re: Gil Hanse Press Release
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
Just got this from Tommy Naccarato (whose ecstatic!)

Hanse Golf Design chosen as a designer for the Rio 2016™ Olympics Golf Course
(Official Statement from Gibert S. Hanse for publication)

We want to take this opportunity to say how honored and humbled we are to have been selected to design the golf course for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.  On behalf of everyone involved with the Hanse Golf Course Design presentation, thank you to the City of Rio de Janeiro, the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee, and the International Golf Federation for placing their trust in us to deliver a course that will become the first course to host golf in the Olympics since 1904.
It has always been our goal to produce pleasurable and interesting golf courses, so needless to say we are excited that our body of work has been deemed to be of a standard that will provide a great stage for the Olympic games while providing a long lasting legacy for the game of golf in Brazil.  We will strive to produce a course that will maximize the benefits of the site while creating an identity that is in keeping with the natural terrain, vegetation and wildlife indigenous to what we believe will be transformed into a “picturesque” landscape which will make the people of Rio proud. As the interest of any course is ultimately felt in the way it plays, we hope to construct something that will prove to be a fascinating study in the many faces it presents: options, recovery shots,  and a sense of whimsy are all critical components which we think will make the 2016 Olympic course fun to play.  The traditions of the game and of its most artful designs have taught us so much, and it is within these traditions that we will seek to provide a joyful design that will reinforce in future generations the unique character of the courses upon which golf is played can be a singular experience in the world of sports.
As you can imagine and as only such an once-in-a-lifetime design commission deserves, this was a comprehensive process and I need to first and foremost thank Jim Wagner, my incredibly talented design partner. His creativity makes all of our work better.  Also, a great debt of thanks to our partners on this project, Owen Larkin, head of The Larkin Group, Margie Larkin, David Fay along with Jeff Carlson and Frank Rossi, for creating an environmentally-sustainable golf course template that will set the standards for this emerging golf market.  Furthermore, we have benefited greatly from the support of Hall of Famer Amy Alcott, who unselfishly accepted a supporting role on this project and brought her great playing and teaching credentials to our team.  The technical support and advice of Tommy Naccarato, Andrea Lynch, Ian Andrew, and Larry Rodgers helped us to prepare a solid presentation that would certainly have been lacking if not for their considerable help.  We also want to thank all of the clubs, co-workers, and friends who have supported us with work over these nearly 20 years, the sum of those experiences has put us in this position today.  And lastly my deepest thanks and gratitude to my wonderful wife Tracey and family, Chelsea, Tyler, and Caley. They have sacrificed much in the way of my time, I hope in some way that the enjoyment of this accomplishment will help to repay that sacrifice.

Best,
Gilbert S. Hanse
Hanse Golf Design

I wrote the committee yesterday and told em how good I thought Capstone was. Guess they listened to the big head! Congratulations Team Hanse!!

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
Fantastic, congrats. The world is changing and its a great day for the boutique architectural firms around the world!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
Wow and congrats to Gil! I was suprised to learn that Ian Andrew was part of Gil's team, I might have missed that in the earlier discussions. I wonder if Ian could expand on what his role was, and if he will be part of the work to come.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
Trump looking like a genius?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
Congrats!, but "picturesque"?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
marvelous, congratulations Gil

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
From thier website....the winning routing!!

Complete with a 3 hole warmup course it looks like too...thats neat.

#16 looks like it could be a tribute hole to Riviera #10

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:42:30 PM by Kalen Braley »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »
Trump looking like a genius?

or an inside-trader.  ;D

Good for Hanse/Alcott and all involved.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
I am absolutely thrilled - beyond words - for Gil. This is great news for golf, and a well deserved honour for a real talent and excellent person.
jeffmingay.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »
As the interest of any course is ultimately felt in the way it plays, we hope to construct something that will prove to be a fascinating study in the many faces it presents: options, recovery shots,  and a sense of whimsy are all critical components which we think will make the 2016 Olympic course fun to play.

This is a great day for golf architecture.  I think it shows an evolution of thought in the world about golf courses.  Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but the fact that Gil Hanse got this bid shows that there is power in good people and great golf courses that can overcome name recognition and marketing.  I am happy to see Gil getting this bid, and the dockets of guys like Doak and Coore so full.  This is a great sign that their brand of golf can thrive in this market.  

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
Congrats to Gil and his team.
H.P.S.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
Thanks for posting the routing, Kalen.

It will be interesting to watch this course develop. Looks like shared fairways and killer par 3's to me.

Thrilled this went to a non-player designer.

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
Congrats, love seeing all those names familiar to us on here. Very cool.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
I am SO happy!!!

Gil and Jim and team are really wonderful people that build great golf courses.  I'm just so fortunate to be able to play a Hanse design anytime I'd like.  (I'm so geeky, I have a framed course routing diagram of French Creek in my living room)

The world and Brazil are going to get one helluva golf course!

RDecker

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:43 PM »
Just watched Gil on the Golf Channel, just a thought...It is so refreshing to see a talented professional succeed and be completely devoid of ego.  Congrats to Gil and any of treehouse members who were involved.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Norbert P

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »

Congratulations to all involved and be sure to practice your Portugeuse so you can say howdy to  Heloísa Eneida Menezes Paes Pinto.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
Am I misreading the diagram - or do I see a course without distinct tee boxes?

Plus, look at #1, #7 and #18 - all sharing common ground - spectacular!

Ok - one more - Look at #A, #B, and #C over by the range - 3 hole area for practice/beginners?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:24:34 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »

I'm happy for Tommy. Hopefully he can continue his input.

Anthony

Alex Miller

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
2 looks like a brute (especially if there is a prevailing wind off the ocean)! A great looking plan and a decision worth being excited over!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
From thier website....the winning routing!!

Complete with a 3 hole warmup course it looks like too...thats neat.

#16 looks like it could be a tribute hole to Riviera #10

Could favor a right to left hitter

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:35:34 PM by Anthony Gray »

Chris Roselle

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »
Congrats to Gil and his Team.  Being a Philly guy and getting the chance to enjoy Applebrook GC on a regular basis this is quite a honor and I know the Golf Association of Philadelphia couldn't be more proud.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
That is a remarkably and refreshingly humble press release.  I don't know Mr. Hanse, and I don't know whether this will be "good for golf," but if the press release is any reflection on the kind of person he is, I'm very happy for him.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
Congrats to Gil.  Great guy and designer and he will do a great job there.  Like others, as a boutique firm, I like it that this kind of firm won.  I also like that the committee seemed to listen to the presentations and reward good design that met their criteria, rather than fall for the biggest glamorous names that apparently provided lesser solutions.

So, I guess Gil was the dark horse, and when Geoff reported that it was with at least some inside info?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
That is a remarkably and refreshingly humble press release.  I don't know Mr. Hanse, and I don't know whether this will be "good for golf," but if the press release is any reflection on the kind of person he is, I'm very happy for him.

Carl, if you had been fortunate enough to spend the day with Gil back at the Inniscrone GCA outing in 2001, as many of us were, you would have learned that Gil is much more than his release would indicate, all good. Terrific guy, surrounded by terrific people, top to bottom.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back