News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

New Zealand & OZ
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »
are on my radar screen for January/February in 2014.  Input from the antipodeans on the discussion group will be greatly appreciated.  It won't be just a golf trip although I do intend play while down under.  You may fire when ready, Kiwis and Diggers.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jason Topp

Re: New Zealand & OZ
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
My biggest surprise when planning my trip was how big Australia was.  It quickly became clear we needed to eliminate some destinations for a two week trip so I took out New Zealand, Uluruh, the barrier reef and Adelaide.  My wife is still irritated about the barrier reef omission. 

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »
I can't speak for NZ, but as someone that just went to Australia, make sure you go to Barnbougle and make sure you play RMW as many times as they'll let you.  Plus, bring a shitload of money.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
Steve,

You know the usual suspects when it comes to golf in Australia, and if number of rounds is limited, sticking to those architectural gems will make for a memorable visit.  If you have a bit more time around Melbourne, be sure to see Peninsula North, Woodlands, Royal Melbourne EAST (the little brother course that doesn't get enough respect) and head down to the Mornington Peninsula south of the city to see St. Andrews Beach.

TK

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
January and February can be very, very hot...

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
Queenstown NZ and Melbourne should both be on your radar.  Direct flights between the two run regularly.     

If you make it to Queenstown or NZ, then feel free to PM me!

@Pure_Golf

Dane Hawker

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
Queenstown is a must if you are coming to NZ
Summer is a great time to also visit Kauri Cliffs in the Bay of Islands followed by some fishing for marlin or kingfish.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
I'm going to bookmark this thread and pump the locals for information and suggestions as the time nears.   While I intend to visit both locations, I have to admit that New Zealand has always called to me.  As I think about it of course, there's no reason I can think of why I couldn't, health permitting, make more than one trip down under.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »
I'm going to bookmark this thread and pump the locals for information and suggestions as the time nears.   While I intend to visit both locations, I have to admit that New Zealand has always called to me.  As I think about it of course, there's no reason I can think of why I couldn't, health permitting, make more than one trip down under.

Steve:

I was going to suggest you think of them as separate trips.  When I went the first time, I tried to do both at once and wound up giving New Zealand not near as much attention as it deserved ... and that was spending three weeks in Australia and one week in NZ!  I would suggest a minimum of two weeks for each, so if you don't have that long, pick one to see first.

Luckily, years later I found clients who started paying me to go back to both countries.  I hope it works out as well for you.  :D

Ash Towe

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:39:22 AM »
Steve,

All sound advice.

Regarding NZ.  Depending how much time you have consider the following courses, Kauri Cliffs, Titirangi, Kinloch, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and the newly renovated Royal Wellington ( not played yet myself ). Then as others have said a stay in Queenstown, with or without golf.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 03:32:02 AM »
I would highly recommend taking advantage of the wonderful play & stay option at Victoria Golf Club.

http://www.victoriagolf.com.au/layouts/mp_standard/Template.aspx?page=Accommodation+Rates&ComeFromCat=179

Playing Royal Melbourne West is a non negotiable.

Ben
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Rob Swift

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:33:42 AM »
Steve,

If you make it down to Melbourne, message me and I will be more than happy to try and help you out in playing a few of our top courses.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:35 AM »
Be prepared for a "Chinese" style rip off the foreigner at the golf club where you will pay considerably more than a local. At Royal Wellington over THREE times more than an unaccompanied Kiwi and TWICE as much at Titirangi. The strength of the A$ and NZ$ along with their overseas pricing policy will eventually drive golfers away.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »
When did you last pay an unaccompanied visitor fee, Chappers? 1994?!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »
NZ 2011 although I believe I may have been an honorary Kiwi for a couple of days  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

Grant Saunders

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »
Steve

In regards to the NZ component of your trip, it will depend largely on your goals. Is it a holiday with golf on the side or is it a golf focused trip?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back