News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Lynch

I Blame "Golf in the Kingdom" - A Step Back in Time
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
Well, I finally watched “Golf in the Kingdom” on Saturday, which led to me explaining the Mysticism of Golf to my wife.  She didn’t roll her eyes, which was a good sign (or at least she masked her concern very well).

When I first read GITK about a decade ago, I showed up at my Men’s Club the next day armed with a new lease on my golfing life.  I got off to a slow start, which led one of my buddies to ask me why I was still smiling:
“Kev, you’re not doing so well.  Why are you in such a good mood?”
“Gary, the game’s about so much more than that. It’s all in the walking.”
“Kev, I’m worried about you.”

Saturday led to a resurgence of my desire to play a more “rooted” version of the game.  So when I arrived on the first tee with Ron Mon Sunday morning, I came armed with more than just a renewed attitude.  I dug into the shed, made some phone calls, and showed up with this:

I loved my Tony Penna  Woods, and used the 3-Wood in my bag all the way through 2008.  Unfortunately, the Penna Driver lost its whipping, so the head now shifts on the downswing.  As a result, I had to use a mixed set, with the Wilson Royal 1 Wood taking the “big dog” position.  Since there were no hybrids back in the day, the 1 and 2 irons were resurrected, along with a set of Wilson Staff Tour Blades.  A hickory-shafted putter completed the bag.

When was the last time any of you played a “back in time” round?  I certainly didn’t set the world on fire with my performance, but I managed 7 pars on a waterlogged golf course, each of which were savored with an enhanced sense of “I earned that.”

I regret that I didn’t have this inspiration earlier in the season when the Buffalo-area courses were firmer.  We had chosen a course that is typically the driest in the area, but even this one was in a cart-path only situation.  The course was also “cart mandatory", so my desire to savor the walking was muted by the equal desire to share the social side of the day (Forgive them, Melvyn – I’ve berated and protested enough to no avail).

However, despite those few drawbacks, it was a great experience that will not be a “one time only” occurrence.  Part of my decision was based on using this as a “training aid” (like high-altitude training for runners) to help correct some swing flaws masked by today’s equipment (mainly tempo).  A few of the primary observations:

- It’s hard to describe the excitement of standing over your first fairway 1-iron shot since the mid 1990s.  I had no idea what was in store, but I was eager to find out (hard, low fade). 

- How did I not give up the game out of frustration from this equipment, back when I had a scorecard mentality? 

- Chipping and pitching is a completely different animal when the ball doesn’t “jump” off the face.  After the first few attempts, I found this actually made things a little easier to control distances.

- How much have manufacturers strengthened lofts over the decades?  The Pitching Wedge appeared to have the same loft as my current “A” Wedge.

- Am I given a pass on the “No Spitting” Rule when it’s solely meant to revive a small semblance of tack to rubber grips that are older than Jessica Simpson?

I’ve been contemplating the purchase of a set of hickories to complement the “modern” game.  Yesterday affirmed my desire, and I’ll be even more eager for the 2012 season to begin for that experience.  Scott Witter designed a “zero irrigation” course just 5 minutes from my house (Ironwood) that will be perfect for the hickory game.

Anyone else ready to step Back in Time? (I've been singing the Huey Lewis theme from Back to the Future all day)

Terry Lavin

Re: I Blame "Golf in the Kingdom" - A Step Back in Time
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
Whatever floats your boat!  I tossed all of my persimmons last year, having no desire to play with them.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
Did you play a featherie, gutta-percha, bramble, wound, balata... ?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
"- How much have manufacturers strengthened lofts over the decades?  The Pitching Wedge appeared to have the same loft as my current “A” Wedge."

Kevin L. -

Lofts on irons have pretty much strengthened by one club over the past 20-40 years. The loft on today's PW (around 46 degrees) is close to what a 9-iron used to be. Plus, shafts thru the set have gotten longer, which enables a PW of today hit the ball almost as long as an 8-iron used to.

DT

DT   

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
Kevin...

I'm with you 100%!!!

Wade S. and I just had a match yesterday using persimmons, and Wade generally uses balata as well...but not yesterday.  We generally play with an odd assortment of clubs ranging from modern stuff to hickories and guttas.  Golf is meant to be fun, at least in my book.

FYI, our match was a classic that went to extra holes only to be delayed by darkness still even.  Until next time, Wade.  Hey, Kevin...maybe we can link up somewhere for a match using old school weapons?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »
Nice Kevin. Where's the putter?

Even with access to modern technology my bag is mostly made up of clubs and technology that were popular and available almost 20 years ago. Other than a new Titleist driver and a modern golf ball, I play Mizuno MP-14 irons, blade wedges (Vokey), an old 1980's Titleist "PT15" 3-wood, and a Wilson 8802 (1964) putter. I've tried to update my equipment over time, but I keep coming back to what I know and what I personally perform the best with. For many golfers, I think the jump in performance between irons, wedges, & putters is not nearly as great as it's made out to be (many don't hit their irons further when you take into account the actual loft of the clubs).

What's made the most difference has been driver and ball technology, obviously, and it's hard to argue a balata and persimmon driver could perform anywhere near what's available today. That doesn't mean I haven't thought about going out and finding a quality persimmon driver to screw around with....  :)
H.P.S.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
Nice one Kevin!

I garaged my Ben Hogan Apex persimmon woods and bladed irons a few years ago and segued into Mizunos. The perfervid nature of my game has been tempered by a Shivas Irons approach to the gowf and modern equipment, particularly hybrids. I have a way to go before I access Nirvanah but "for this (slight) relief much thanks".

The movie has not arrived in Oz as of yet but I do believe a DVD is being released pretty soon (can anybody verify this?) and I will continue preaching Seamus' and Shivas' eternal message. I should pracrice what I preach a bit more methinks!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
Kevin L.

By the way, what did you actually think of the movie? Do you think it did a decent job of capturing the essence of the book?

DT

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »
Did you play a featherie, gutta-percha, bramble, wound, balata... ?
I may have found Religion, but I didn't claim to be Orthodox!  ;D

It was short notice, so I didn't have any of those available.  Instead, I found the closest to what I used in the days when I played with that equipment - Pinnacle Gold!  I could always put quite a bit of spin on the ball, so I played the Rocks in my early days (I loved the Molitors!)

When I get the Hickories, I'm not sure what I'll use.  There is a National Level Hickory Player from the Buffalo Area (Greg Vogelsang) that I've been corresponding with about the hickory game, and they generally just use softer, modern balls.  Maybe I'll find some of the smaller British balls that go further to help make the transition easier.

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:16:43 PM »
Speaking of "Golf in the Kingdom": where can I watch it??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
"- How much have manufacturers strengthened lofts over the decades?  The Pitching Wedge appeared to have the same loft as my current “A” Wedge."

Kevin L. -

Lofts on irons have pretty much strengthened by one club over the past 20-40 years. The loft on today's PW (around 46 degrees) is close to what a 9-iron used to be. Plus, shafts thru the set have gotten longer, which enables a PW of today hit the ball almost as long as an 8-iron used to.

DT

DT   

I feel like Bubba Watson, with such a finely tuned sense of feel to have noticed the difference.  :D I started using the 9 iron as my wedge.  I discovered the hard way how much shorter the clubs were trying to carry a pond from 150.

What you said about the shafts rings true, too.  I felt like I was crowded over the ball all day.  But that may be a good lesson, as it caused me to slow down my arms and try to get more in sync with the body turn.

While the distances were much shorter in the bottom half of the bag (7-PW), it seemed like they “leveled off” as I worked towards the longer clubs.  I was able to hit near my normal distances in the 3-5 iron range (assuming I hit near the center).  And I must have found the pin-sized “super sweet spot” on one swing, because I had one 230 yard 5-iron (downwind, but way beyond anything I would normally do).  That may not be a function of the manufacturing, but may simply be a matter of how my swing matches up with those specific length clubs.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
Tony Penna custon golden mist, still own one and love the sound. Good job.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
Kevin...

I'm with you 100%!!!

Wade S. and I just had a match yesterday using persimmons, and Wade generally uses balata as well...but not yesterday.  We generally play with an odd assortment of clubs ranging from modern stuff to hickories and guttas.  Golf is meant to be fun, at least in my book.

FYI, our match was a classic that went to extra holes only to be delayed by darkness still even.  Until next time, Wade.  Hey, Kevin...maybe we can link up somewhere for a match using old school weapons?

Mac –

You absolutely said it – the game is meant to be fun, and yesterday added an element that I know will “spice up” my enjoyment of the game.   For me, the late fall is usually my “silly season” where I’ll try different formats.  Me & my buddy will use a yellow SpongeBob ball to play Alternate Shot and see how that score compares with our individual scores.  Or we’ll each play two balls in a Scramble Format  against each other to flirt with scores we’d never accomplish playing straight up.  Yesterday was the first time I’d tried “throwback” golf, and I’m excited to do it more often.  I don’t see any reason why it needs to be restricted to the “silly season.”

Part of the reason I’m excited about taking up the Hickory Golf is the chance set my game back a little bit and then improve as I learn new shots and skills.  My “modern” game has reached a certain plateau, and each time out isn’t so much a learning exercise, as it is a matter of significantly varying levels of execution.

I’m really excited just sitting here thinking about how I’ll play myself around Ironwood next year with hickories.  I can already think of several holes where I’ll need to be much more careful about drive placements, because I won’t have the spin of the juiced-up A Wedge to bail me out.

I would love to get together for an “old time” match if you’re ever in the Buffalo region or if we meet up at any GCA events.  As I’m looking for my own hickory set, I’m also trying to find a second set so I can share the experience with some of my friends who will get into the spirit of the old game.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
Nice Kevin. Where's the putter?

Even with access to modern technology my bag is mostly made up of clubs and technology that were popular and available almost 20 years ago. Other than a new Titleist driver and a modern golf ball, I play Mizuno MP-14 irons, blade wedges (Vokey), an old 1980's Titleist "PT15" 3-wood, and a Wilson 8802 (1964) putter. I've tried to update my equipment over time, but I keep coming back to what I know and what I personally perform the best with. For many golfers, I think the jump in performance between irons, wedges, & putters is not nearly as great as it's made out to be (many don't hit their irons further when you take into account the actual loft of the clubs).

What's made the most difference has been driver and ball technology, obviously, and it's hard to argue a balata and persimmon driver could perform anywhere near what's available today. That doesn't mean I haven't thought about going out and finding a quality persimmon driver to screw around with....  :)
It was a Sweetwood Putter that I borrowed from Ron Montesano, but Igave it back to him before I snapped the photo. 

I think you’re right that the performance of the clubs isn’t that much different, but the “forgiveness” is light years apart.  I was able to keep up with my playing partners when I found the sweet spot, but anything high on the face or towards the toe went nowhere.  If you’re a very low handicapper, that probably won’t matter as much and you may revert back to the older equipment since forgiveness isn’t as important as feel.  I definitely felt the clubhead more yesterday than I have in years.

I kept the Penna 3-wood in my bag until 3 years ago.  If anything, my modern 3 wood doesn’t go as far as the Penna did.  But I abandoned it during a bad stretch in favor of some more forgiveness.  Unfortunately, I think the additional forgiveness has caused my ball-striking to deteriorate.  Years ago, my misses was mainly directional, but I made solid contact and really struck down on the ball.  Now, my misses are due to poor contact, for which I don’t pay as severe a price as I should.  I’m hoping this experiment may re-focus my game a little.

It’s funny how much our feel has changed over the years.  One of my partners decided to hit my Penna 3 Wood into a 210 yard Par 3.  He said, “My god, that’s heavy.  I can’t believe I used to put lead tape on these things.”  But he hit it to 15 feet.

I would highly recommend you find that quality persimmon to screw around with occasionally.  I did love the feeling on those balls that did find the sweet spot.  It’s worth it for that alone.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »
Nice one Kevin!

I garaged my Ben Hogan Apex persimmon woods and bladed irons a few years ago and segued into Mizunos. The perfervid nature of my game has been tempered by a Shivas Irons approach to the gowf and modern equipment, particularly hybrids. I have a way to go before I access Nirvanah but "for this (slight) relief much thanks".

The movie has not arrived in Oz as of yet but I do believe a DVD is being released pretty soon (can anybody verify this?) and I will continue preaching Seamus' and Shivas' eternal message. I should pracrice what I preach a bit more methinks!

Cheers Colin

The hybrids were tough to abandon, since I’ve become a little too spoiled by their “specialty” nature.  My 2-Hybrid is so strong lofted that it’s mainly used for the low, hard chaser.  The 1 iron was able to replace that.  But it was a little tougher to find the replacement for the high flight of the 4 hybrid.  But if I’m going to play “throwback golf” I’ll probably avoid courses that demand a sky-high shot from 200 yards.

I’m excited to give the Shivas Irons approach an extended try in terms of retroactive equipment.  I’ve yet to determine how long the ego can stay in check and if I can let go of “I used to be able to do this….”.

Even when I do play the modern equipment, the spiritual aspects of GITK can still apply.  We all can use the occasional reminder to “enjoy the walking” and forget so much about the shots.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
Nice thread, Kevin.

In a way, I feel luckier than you or Mac or Colin.  My game is so average that I can get all the spirit I need from a 10 year old driver and 20 year old set of Hogan blades.  If I tried to go to hickories it would be like going to a monastery, i.e. I'd be attracted to the idea, but I wouldn't actually be able to give up the pleasures of the world for very long....

Peter
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:47:21 PM by PPallotta »

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Kevin L.

By the way, what did you actually think of the movie? Do you think it did a decent job of capturing the essence of the book?

DT
I gave up years ago expecting any movie to capture the essence of any book that I particularly enjoyed.  It’s not so much a weakness of the movie, just the reality that I think it would be impossible to distill that much philosophy into an hour and a half.  Really, so much of the mysticism of Golf is in the second part of GITK, and not so much in the recounting of the one day together.  I was a Philosophy minor is college, so I was fascinated by the application of philosophical principles to the endeavor of golf.  It speaks to my personal beliefs that the Divine is here in our everyday lives, rather than existing in some other plane from which we are separated during our earthly existence.  I could go on for hours about the divinity of music, mathematics, art, nature, etc. but I enjoyed seeing the same metaphysical principles applied to the game I love.

I think if you weren’t familiar with the book, you may have a tough time following the movie.  It seems a bit disjointed, but you do sense the deep serenity of Shivas and how to apply that (to golf and beyond).  However, the movie just scratches the surface of the much deeper teachings in the book.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »
Speaking of "Golf in the Kingdom": where can I watch it??

I never noticed a theatrical release in the Buffalo area, but I was able to watch it via pay-Per-View from my local cable TV provider (Time Warner). 

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
Tony Penna custon golden mist, still own one and love the sound. Good job.
How often do you use it? 

The sound was very unfamiliar for us.  Ron didn't watch my first swing, but said "it sounded like you missed it" until he remembered the sounds they made.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »
Nice thread, Kevin.

In a way, I feel luckier than you or Mac or Colin.  My game is so average that I can get all the spirit I need from a 10 year old driver and 20 year old set of Hogan blades.  If I tried to go to hickories it would be like going to a monastery, i.e. I'd be attracted to the idea, but I wouldn't actually be able to give up the pleasures of the world for very long....

Peter
Who said anything about "giving up" the pleasures?  I'll just be visiting the monastery from time-to-time, not moving in.    ;)

But really, I'm not viewing a loss of distance or certain aerial capabilities as giving up some type of pleasure.  Instead, I'm viewing it as a way to open up a whole new world to discover.  I could have been doing the same thing by limiting myself to 7 clubs or some other restriction that would force me to play the game a little more “old school.”  But it was too easy to go with the simple shot that was at my disposal.

As a result, I spent very little time thinking about how to hit shots, and all my attention was whether or not I would execute a given shot that I already know I can pull off.  I spent more time being frustrated by the lack of execution, rather than experiencing the game.  I’m just trying to refocus my energy on attempting new and different shots.  Rather than obsessing about the “failure” in execution, I can enjoy the planning and discovery of new ways to reach the green.

For example, yesterday I greeted every par with “that was fun.”  Whereas, with the modern equipment, I may view them as “why can’t you just do that consistently?”

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
Kevin - I understand, and am with you. My choice to buy the (used) Hogan blades was based on some similar thoughts/feelings (as, practically speaking, I have no business trying to play blades).  And what lies behind those thoughts/feelings I believe are some very powerful and deep aspirations.  So it's good that you (and I) already know that we'll only be visiting the monastery.  As Shivas might say: "No man who puts his hand to the plough but turns back is fit for the kingdom of heaven".

Peter 

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
A funny thing also happened yesterday that may have indicated the "golf gods" were watching and noticing our little experiment.

As we drove up the 16th fairway, we found a club next to the trees.  It was one of the Original Taylor Made Metal Woods - the "Pittsburgh Persimmon."

We drove it up to the group ahead, and one of them said "I didn't lose it, I threw it away!  You keep it!"

So we were blessed with a new "advanced" club, which actually made my Wilson Royal Driver look oversized.  We got a kick out of hitting the club that started it all, and it served a fitting bridge between my persimmons and my playing partners' 460 cc weapons.

William_G

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
Got my persimmons, blades, and 2 dozen 100 comp. balatas ready to go when the moment strikes
It's all about the golf!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
Gray...no better time than Christmas in Bandon for those clubs!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
Got my persimmons, blades, and 2 dozen 100 comp. balatas ready to go when the moment strikes

100 Comp?  That used to be the badge of manliness in the late 80s!  Kind of like the "x" added to the end of the ProV1 nowadays.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back