News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: Aggregate Course Competition WINNERS ON POST 137!!!
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
Wow, I'm excited to steal 3rd place from a number of other good entries! Thanks for doing this Ben, it was a lot of fun to see what everyone put together.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »
Ben,
What happened to sway you off your opinion in post 83?

jeffwarne

Re: Aggregate Course Competition (with prizes!)
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »

[/quote]
Nice work Ben
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
Ben, Jeff and Mike:

I'm honored (and a bit shocked) to have my entry picked as the winner.  I'm a big fan of these types of exercises on this site and hope there are more to follow.

As much as I'd love to get down to Aiken for a round at Palmetto, I'm not really sure if it will be feasible.  If its okay with you, I'd like to contribute the round to the next edition of the world's greatest golf raffle.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sean Leary

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
1 Merion (Par 4) - 360 yds
2 Pine Valley (Par 4) - 368 yds
3 National Golf Links of America (Par 4) - 430 yds
4 Lahinch (Par 5) - 475 yds
5 Crystal Downs (Par 4) - 355 yds
6 Royal Melbourne West (Par 4) - 428 yds
7 San Francisco (Par 3) - 189 yds
8 Pebble Beach (Par 4) - 427 yds
9 Yale (Par 3) - 235 yds

Out - 3267 yds (Par 35)

10 Riviera (Par 4) - 315
11 Pacific Dunes (Par 3) - 148 yds
12 Barnbougle Dunes (Par 4) - 278 yds
13 Augusta National (Par 5) - 510 yds
14 Royal Dornoch (Par 4) - 459 yds
15 North Berwick (Par 3) - 190 yds
16 Cypress Point (Par 3) - 230 yds
17 St. Andrews (Par 4) - 495 yds
18 Royal Lytham & St. Annes (Par 4) - 410 yds

In -  3,035 yds (Par 34)
Total - 6,302 (Par 69)

Par 3's - 148, 189, 190, 230, 235
Par 4's - 278, 315, 355, 360, 368, 410, 427, 428, 430, 459, 495
Par 5's - 475, 510

The Redan and SF#7 are similar in scorecard length but I can't imagine many folks will be pulling the same club.  The same could be said for the Biarritz and the 16th.  The similarity in the lengths of holes 1, 2 and 5 is more than made up for by the distractions at each.  The 3rd at NGLA, the 6th at RMW and the 8th at PB play to different effective lengths, especially considering the nature of the tee shot on 8 and the approach required for each hole.  

General themes:

Holes 1 - 3:  an homage to 80 page threads
Holes 4 - 6:  the good doctor's influence
Holes 7 - 9:  Tupac v. Biggie
Holes 10 - 12:  short but sweet
Holes 13 - 15:  stand alone masterpieces
Holes 16 - 18:  a fitting close

I'd vote for an out and back routing with the predominant wind working with you on the front and hurting on the back.  I can see a St. Andrew's like loop after 8 returning for 11 along the coast.

Edit: to correct an egregious misspelling and converting the yardage of the 12th at Barnie from meters to yards.

Here is Sven's submission...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
Okay, I completed my entry yesterday while waiting for an oil change --...

Sounds like you had a pretty easy job.

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Kelly

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
1 Merion (Par 4) - 360 yds
2 Pine Valley (Par 4) - 368 yds
3 National Golf Links of America (Par 4) - 430 yds
4 Lahinch (Par 5) - 475 yds
5 Crystal Downs (Par 4) - 355 yds
6 Royal Melbourne West (Par 4) - 428 yds
7 San Francisco (Par 3) - 189 yds
8 Pebble Beach (Par 4) - 427 yds
9 Yale (Par 3) - 235 yds

Out - 3267 yds (Par 35)

10 Riviera (Par 4) - 315
11 Pacific Dunes (Par 3) - 148 yds
12 Barnbougle Dunes (Par 4) - 278 yds
13 Augusta National (Par 5) - 510 yds
14 Royal Dornoch (Par 4) - 459 yds
15 North Berwick (Par 3) - 190 yds
16 Cypress Point (Par 3) - 230 yds
17 St. Andrews (Par 4) - 495 yds
18 Royal Lytham & St. Annes (Par 4) - 410 yds

In -  3,035 yds (Par 34)
Total - 6,302 (Par 69)

Par 3's - 148, 189, 190, 230, 235
Par 4's - 278, 315, 355, 360, 368, 410, 427, 428, 430, 459, 495
Par 5's - 475, 510

The Redan and SF#7 are similar in scorecard length but I can't imagine many folks will be pulling the same club.  The same could be said for the Biarritz and the 16th.  The similarity in the lengths of holes 1, 2 and 5 is more than made up for by the distractions at each.  The 3rd at NGLA, the 6th at RMW and the 8th at PB play to different effective lengths, especially considering the nature of the tee shot on 8 and the approach required for each hole.  

General themes:

Holes 1 - 3:  an homage to 80 page threads
Holes 4 - 6:  the good doctor's influence
Holes 7 - 9:  Tupac v. Biggie
Holes 10 - 12:  short but sweet
Holes 13 - 15:  stand alone masterpieces
Holes 16 - 18:  a fitting close

I'd vote for an out and back routing with the predominant wind working with you on the front and hurting on the back.  I can see a St. Andrew's like loop after 8 returning for 11 along the coast.

Edit: to correct an egregious misspelling and converting the yardage of the 12th at Barnie from meters to yards.

Here is Sven's submission...

I'm sure I'm not the only one (you're almost never the only one!) who envies those of you who have stood on all 18 of these tees, and can nod in approval 18 times.

As for me: Four down, 14 to go!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Simon Holt

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
This was a great thread Ben.  I wish I had time to tweak my illegal winner!!! ;)
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Michael George

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »

Ben:

Thanks for putting this together.  I really enjoyed the exercise.  Sven had a great course and deserved 1st place.  My only problem with his submission was that there was not a Dismal River hole  ;)
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Scott Szabo

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »
12. Sand Hills              Par 4      415 yds

Michael,

Are you sure you have the right hole in the picture?  That looks like #14, rather than #12.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Scott Szabo

« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »

In one way it would be good if guys couldn't automatically head for top 25ish courses to find holes - maybe set a limit.  There were far too many representations from this group for my liking.

Now this would be a fun exercise. 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Garland Bayley

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »

In one way it would be good if guys couldn't automatically head for top 25ish courses to find holes - maybe set a limit.  There were far too many representations from this group for my liking.

The problem is that we have all played great holes that few others know about. Although Sean has been particularly good at bringing some of those to light with his "winter" series posts, don't you think it would be impossible to judge such a contest?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Szabo

« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »

The problem is that we have all played great holes that few others know about. Although Sean has been particularly good at bringing some of those to light with his "winter" series posts, don't you think it would be impossible to judge such a contest?

Absolutely, it would be impossible to judge.  But it doesn't have to be a contest.

I think it would be fun to learn of some of these hidden gems, and may spark some interesting dialogue. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »

Absolutely, it would be impossible to judge.  But it doesn't have to be a contest.

I think it would be fun to learn of some of these hidden gems, and may spark some interesting dialogue. 

Agreed.  Excluding the top 50 or 100 courses in the world and making a list would be really interesting.

Michael George

« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
Problem with excluding the top 100 is that people won't know many of the holes.  Now if you had to post pictures, that would be cool - however, I think Mark Saltzman would be the only entry ;D

I have thought about contests like the best 18 in the metropolitan (CITY) area.  For instance, due to the large number of Chicago guys on the string, I think the best 18 in Chicagoland would be fun. 

Regardless, this was a really fun exercise.  Thanks again Ben.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Is it ironic that a course with both a hole from ANGC and TOC won?  After all the fuss and muss about that on the earlier pages?  ;D

Congrats to Sven on a job well done, way to go mate!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
A fun exercise and congrats to the winners.

Look forward to completing the next contest while waiting for a tune up.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »
Great fun! Thank you for thinking of it and putting in so much effort.

Eric Smith

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Ben,

I missed seeing how this ended up. Nice to hear you all had some fun in Aiken as well. I agree with your selecting Sven's course - it is super solid. However, I was sort of surprised that you chose it, knowing what you wrote earlier in the thread.

My personal opinion is that a course with a hole from ANGC with a hole from Royal Dornoch is missing the point of the exercise in some ways. 

Would you mind answering Keith's query below? I typed this r e a l l y  s l o w too so not to be accused of rapid fire posting. :D If you did have a change of heart and mind re: this, could you tell us more about it? Thanks.

Ben,

jeffwarne

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
Ben,

I missed seeing how this ended up. Nice to hear you all had some fun in Aiken as well. I agree with your selecting Sven's course - it is super solid. However, I was sort of surprised that you chose it, knowing what you wrote earlier in the thread.

My personal opinion is that a course with a hole from ANGC with a hole from Royal Dornoch is missing the point of the exercise in some ways. 

Would you mind answering Keith's query below? I typed this r e a l l y  s l o w too so not to be accused of rapid fire posting. :D If you did have a change of heart and mind re: this, could you tell us more about it? Thanks.

Ben,

The original judge/appointed judges politely explained to Ben that variety was the spice of life; and after enlightening him on this, were distracted by the rigors of interviewing interim guest judges ;), thus leaving the newly enlightened Ben to make the final calls.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JNC Lyon

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »
My list, after the fact.  Obviously, it won't count, but I love lists like this.  So here goes:

Best Eclectic 18 Holes:
1.   Yeamans Hall – 420 – 4
2.   Dismal River – 450 – 4
3.   Inniscrone – 330 – 4
4.   Woking – 350 – 4
5.   Lancaster – 360 – 4
6.   Country Club of Buffalo – 175 – 3
7.   Ballyneal – 290 – 4
8.   Monroe – 140 – 3
9.   Yale – 210 – 3

10.   Renaissance – 570 – 5
11.   Leatherstocking – 570 – 5
12.   Swinley Forest – 450 – 4
13.   North Berwick – 4 – 360
14.   Royal Dornoch – 440 – 4
15.   North Berwick – 190 – 3
16.   The Addington – 510 – 5
17.   Deal – 390 – 4
18.   Garden City – 190 – 3

Par 70, 6,395 Yards Total (Approximate)  The nines are unbalanced in par, but I love every single hole on this list.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ben Sims

« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
Ben,

Ben,

Eric,

I can see where some would argue that I sold out on my original opinion.  I would say that they're only 50% correct.  I did help choose some winners that are a bit jumpy in where they are located.  But you'll see that--and especially in Sven's case--there is a commonality of playing characteristic in many of his stretches of holes.  Sven does also have the commonality of ocean (Royal Lytham a bit off the ocean) on his 5 hole finishing stretch. 

Simply put, I wanted to play his the most. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back