News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

The post-modern Top 10 thread was so much fun...is there enough interest in highlighting courses from the other sub-era's of the last ~50 years? I think a logical split would be 1960-1979 as 'Early Modern' and 1980-1994 as 'Mid Modern', with TPC Sawgrass being the course that marks the shift.

This probably isn't nearly as interesting or exciting as the other cluster exercise since these courses have had the chance to stand the test of time, but if it drives discussion, debate and highlights the best work of the architects of these respective eras, then I say we go for it. I'll even volunteer my services as human punching bag and numbers grunt, assuming no one else wants that role. Expect a similar drag-and-drop exercise, although to compensate for potentially less ballots, I will probably ask everybody to rank order within the boxes and submit a no-holds barred, top-to-bottom sorted list of courses played. I may even ask you to sort amongst the two respective eras in question, as that added context will strengthen the numbers further (though I'll only post the separate top 10's for each era). I'm less concerned about the *** ratings but if you want to rank courses publicly under those same definitions, knock your socks off.

For starters, a list of ballot-eligible courses to start is below. Like the other thread, a nominate and a 'second' will be required to add a course to the ballot. Remember, we are only trying to list out the top 10, so don't nominate a course unless you believe it legitimately should be top 10 in that given era, and not simply because you feel it's as good as one of the courses already on the list.

EARLY MODERN (1960-1979)
Butler National Golf Club
Casa de Campo
Cog Hill G&CC (No. 4 Dubsdread)
Congressional Country Club (Blue)
Crooked Stick Golf Club
Desert Forest Golf Club
Eugene Country Club
Harbour Town Golf Links
Hazeltine National Golf Club
Jupiter Hills Club (Hills)
Mauna Kea
Muirfield Village Golf Club
Oak Tree National Golf Club
Quail Hollow Club
Sahalee Country Club
Shoal Creek Country Club
Spyglass Hill Golf Club
The Golf Club
The National Golf & Country Club
Valderrama
Waterville

MID-MODERN (1980-1994)
Atlantic Golf Club
Black Diamond Ranch (Quarry)
Blackwolf Run (River)
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club
Castle Pines Golf Club
Devil's Paintbrush
Double Eagle Golf Club
Forest Highlands Golf Club (Canyon)
Honors Course
Kapalua Golf Club (Plantation)
Karsten Creek Golf Club
Loch Lomond
Long Cove Club
Ocean Course at Kiawah Island
Pete Dye Golf Club
Pumpkin Ridge (Witch Hollow)
Secession Golf Club
Shadow Creek Golf Club
Sycamore Hills Golf Club
The European Club
The Prince Course
The Quarry at La Quinta
TPC Sawgrass (Players Stadium)
Valhalla Golf Club
Wade Hampton Club
Wolf Run
World Woods (Pine Barrens)

Bart Bradley

Grandfather certainly deserves to be added to the "Early Modern" List so I nominate it.

I am a member of such, so let the bias rant begin!

Bart

mark chalfant

Two by RTJ senior

Shady Oaks,   Fort Worth
Crag Burn,  near Buffalo

Don_Mahaffey

PGA West
High Pointe (NLE)

Michael George

Although it opened officially in 1959, how about adding Laurel Valley?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Andy Troeger

Although it opened officially in 1959, how about adding Laurel Valley?

If you add Laurel Valley I would say that Point O'Woods falls in the same time frame, although I don't really know that I can claim it should be top ten.

I was all set to rant about Wolf Run being a great addition and undervalued, etc., but then I noticed its already listed there. So I'll save it for the results thread!

jim_lewis

I think Pine Tree opened in 1960 and should be included in the early modern list. I know that GOLFWEEK considers it a modern course. Patrick can confirm.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Mark Saltzman

Jim,

Is The National G&CC, the one near Toronto?  If not, that one should be listed, though the correct name is The National Golf Club of Canada

Other courses that could be on the lists:

EARLY MODERN
Doral (Blue)
El Saler (Spain)
Bay Hill
Atlanta Athletic (Highlands)
Crag Burn
Glen Abbey (Canada)

MID-MODERN
PGA West - TPC
Links at Spanish Bay
PGA National - Champ
Lake Nona
Pinehurst (No. 7)
Tralee
Old Works

Probably included too many here, but easier to discard later than not list them at all.

Sean_A

Folks probably won't buy these three, but looking at what has presented so far these are of far more interest to me than most.

Donegal Mid Modern Ruddy redo
Saunton West Early Modern Pennink redo
Lakewood Shores Gailes Late Modern

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike Sweeney

Early:

Montauk Downs GC
Farm Neck GC

Mid:

Galloway National GC
Stone Harbor GC

Kevin Pallier

I offer up these from Australia

Early:
Tasmania
Peninsula

Mid:
National (Old)
Joondalup

Jud_T

Mid: Dunes Club
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Pritchett

Early Modern

Atlanta Country Club
Chanticleer

BCrosby

Mid-Modern

Cuscowilla

Correction. Cusco was built in 1999. Please disregard.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:29:11 AM by BCrosby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back