News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

ANGC 15 & 16 ponds & dreaming
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
I have always wondered if these 2 ponds were at the same level or which one was higher?

I had a dream last night that they were combined making the 15th green almost an island green and the 16th tee a peninsula in the big pond.  Yes, just a dream ...
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

Re: ANGC 15 & 16 ponds & dreaming
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
I think the pond on 16 is actually a couple of feet lower ... it's a long slow slope from the back of 15 green down to 16.  Both of them were natural streams to start with.

Chris Buie

Re: ANGC 15 & 16 ponds & dreaming
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
As Tom indicated, there were no ponds originally. The original, natural setting was an intricate network of streams - which MacKenzie made a significant part of the intended playability. For instance, the second shot into today's 2nd hole had to take a stream into account - try to hit over or lay up? Today most will just bat it down there as far as they can - ie. less strategic with diminished aesthetic appeal. 13 is the only one that has retained it's stream which is why it is on an entirely different aesthetic level than the bland, rectangular bass fishing ponds they later put on 15 and 16.
The course plays great for the tournament but it would have been an extremely interesting members course with the MacKenzie version - as long as the members liked to walk up and down quite a bit of steep terrain while golfing.
This early painting has the nine's reversed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back