News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Highlands Links seriously damaged
« on: January 10, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Here is a link to an article by Lorne Rubenstein outlining the serious damage Highlands Links recently suffered.

http://www.golfcanada.ca/professional-tours/golf-news/?articleId=1863672

Perhaps Ian Andrew can add more information.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Terry Lavin

Re: Highlands Links seriously damaged
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
I've heard from Josh Lesnik that Cabot Links escaped any damage from the storms.  Might be the product of a brand new drainage system!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
In an ideal world, Parks Canada - and the federal government - should use this as a major opportunity.
jeffmingay.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »
In an ideal world, Parks Canada - and the federal government - should use this as a major opportunity.

If this were Chambers Bay this board would say an opportunity to cut their losses. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:54:56 PM »

If this were Chambers Bay this board would say an opportunity to cut their losses. 

Cruel, but funny.  I haven't played CB, but it looks like exactly the kind of course the USGA loves: an aerial attack golf course that looks like a treeless links course.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »

John,

Notice I prefaced my comment with "in an ideal world". That means something, and takes differing perspectives into account  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
I've heard from Josh Lesnik that Cabot Links escaped any damage from the storms.  Might be the product of a brand new drainage system!

Terry, The topography of the two are not very similar. Highlands 6th has had issues, for years, because of an improperly working gate that helps close off the water at high tide. The hole is virtually at sea level.
 The interior holes that were damaged, along the river, are very flat and look like a flood plane. Cabot on the other hand is on the leeward side of the Island, and is raised above sea level.  By more than a few feet, increasing as you go east, up hill. Even the holes near the harbour have several feet of rise before the GC.

Whats so wasteful at Highlands is the road work being done to the west of the 6th hole and the tunnel being built to protect golfers. It:s wasteful because golfers have been crossing that road for 70 years, and you are in a state park with speed limits that are low. I doubt there"s been an incident to justify the worry. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dale Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
[
Whats so wasteful at Highlands is the road work being done to the west of the 6th hole and the tunnel being built to protect golfers. It:s wasteful because golfers have been crossing that road for 70 years, and you are in a state park with speed limits that are low. I doubt there"s been an incident to justify the worry. 

That would be - ahem - a PROVINCIAL park, except that it is actually a national park.  :) :) :)
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »
I meant nanny state  ;D
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Philippe Binette

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »
Did the flood washed away the cart path ???

Seriously, what Canada's deficit would be this year.... 30 billions $... we can definitely pinch in another 500 000 $... nobody would notice plus there a lot of money uselessly spent from our governments  ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »

Cruel, but funny.  I haven't played CB, but it looks like exactly the kind of course the USGA loves: an aerial attack golf course that looks like a treeless links course.

Terry, you don't have a clue about Chambers Bay. Your statement couldn't be more wrong. Just ask the guys who played US Amateur last summer.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »
I just wanted to pass along a note that the silt has been washed off all the greens and the couse will open as usual.

There is other work to be done and discussions are taking place on how to go about getting some of that work done - including some of the Master Plan work.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
Anyone planning on going to Cape Breton Island for the 10 hole Preview of Cabot Links, will undoubtedly return when the entirety is open. Seeing Highlands now, and imagining what it will look like when the Master plan is complete, is a great lesson in envisioning what's not there. (GCA Geekdom 402)

As Ian has confirmed, only the 13th hole has had it's green rebuilt since 1941. The feeling one gets while putting out on 18 is becoming scarcer.

Do you and your family a favor and go see this amazing part of the world.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back