News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Mowing lines
« on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »
On many posts I have read disparaging references to mowing lines.  I can take them or leave them, but why don't many of you like them?  Sometimes they actually help my aiming and am thankful for them.  And no, I do not use a cheater line on the green, not because I think it is cheating, but because it doesn't actually help me.. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Greg Krueger

Re: Mowing lines
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
I don't mind stripes on tees, fairways and greens, it's when you have that plus stripes in the rough. That is too much for me.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Tommy,

Not a big deal for me, but I find the criss-crossed ones look much too fussed and busy for my eye.  I think they have fallen out of favour due to high fuel costs.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »
I like when there is a single line down the center of the fairway.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Brian Chapin

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
I'd prefer no line at all.  Fairways mowed completely in one direction look great.  Unfortunately it takes too many machines to be an efficient practice for most courses.  Second best is the half and half look. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:18:54 AM »
Tommy. Its the assistance in providing that ease you mention is enough of a reason not to like'em. Busy is how I would describe their effect aesthetically. Sometimes, I suppose, it is needed on holes that offer little in the way of interest.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
Someone told me once that he liked the up and back on older traditional courses but not on moderns? Any thoughts?

I am an up and back guy.

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Mowing lines New
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »
Tommy

Mowing lines are the lines created by different heights of cut - green to collar, fariway to rough, green to fairway, etc.
Fairway striping is the patterns created by direction and route of the mower.
There is a published book on the subject.

I view anything that takes the golfers eye away from the game or the course a negative.

Cheers

p.s.
I meant to say this....

"Glaring artificialty of any kind detracts from the fascination of the game"  -- CB Macdonald
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:34:48 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
Sean - we have up and back on our 2003 golf course, and it works very well.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
Enter 53deg 19'18.10"N and 1 deg 30' 24.92" W in Google Earth and you find Abbeydale, a WH Fowler course near Sheffield. Its stripes look very forced for a Fowler course, and the bunkering looks suspiciously modern. Any thoughts?

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »
I'd say when this thread disappears to about page 500, we'll truly be on our way to affordable golf
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »
Once in the 60s some sheep at Brora got into a backpacking hippie's blotter acid stash.  Some very interesting mowing patterns ensued.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back