News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: DISMAL RIVER GOLF CLUB
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Thanks Mr. Johnston for sharing all of that - I've said on here many times that there is nothing better than those in the industry sharing their passions with the rest of us, and you helped show why I believe that. Hope you keep sharing, a belated welcome to the site.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tim Pitner

« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »

As the best golfer in history, and arguably the best course designer in the modern age . . . 

I admire the loyalty Chris.  Does this mean we're now in the postmodern age?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »

As the best golfer in history, and arguably the best course designer in the modern age . . . 

Tom:

I don't think we are in the post modern age just yet.  As one who appreciates the game and design, Jack's contributions to both have been almost without peer.  Think of how many other great designers have become so with inspiration, at some point in life or career, by TGB.  The contributions are astounding.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »

Tom:

I don't think we are in the post modern age just yet.  As one who appreciates the game and design, Jack's contributions to both have been almost without peer.  Think of how many other great designers have become so with inspiration, at some point in life or career, by TGB.  The contributions are astounding.

TGB is "the golden bear?"  I think he has had an amazing career in golf, but don't see how that is the same thing as being the best course designer in the modern era.  The Nicklaus brand has contributed a huge number of golf courses, but how many of these are great and how many he designed is not so clear.

I cannot think of any great designer that I have heard mention Nicklaus as an inspiration in the area of golf course design.  Does not mean that they haven't.  Do you know of any that have?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
Since this is a website that allows for "frank commentary," that's a whole lot of Nicklaus honking coming from Chris Johnston!!!

I'm more impressed with "keeping it real" and honest commentary than I am with loyalist pandering and butt-kissing.  Save the canned speeches for opening day, Chris.

With all the courses Jack has designed, some of them damn well better be highly ranked!!!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:47:30 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
With all the courses Jack has designed, some of them damn well better be highly ranked!!!

Unfortunately most of the highly ranked ones were done with another designer.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
Garland,

There are so many Nicklaus designs out there we probably can't even remain abreast of what is and isn't good!!!

I'm curious about Kinloch in NZ....

images look good...

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/kinloch/index.php

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Greg Tallman

« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Nobody should expect to be perfect the first time out; there is always room for improvement over time.  But this fetish that some of you guys have for tweaking courses is just beyond me.

RJ, how can you say "maybe they did have a few miscues.  But, with the sort of commitment and investment that is out there, we should recognise that eventually by user observation and critique, they will EVOLVE!!! "  I think that comment refers to a course that's on its THIRD owner.  I'm not picking on that course in particular; I'm picking on the idea that a developer or his new members enjoy having their course torn up every couple of years, or enjoy paying for it.  [And in fact, I would rather go on to build another new course than come back and tinker with all the ones I've done to date, but it is the nature of the world economy that many architects are looking to get paid to fix their own errors because no one is eager to pay them to make new ones.]

[b]I've got one owner who loves to tinker ... Mr. Pascucci ... and that experience is enough that I hope I don't have any more.[/b]

I understand the new 14th green is quote the architectural masterpiece.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:55:52 PM by Greg Tallman »

Chris Johnston

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »
Since this is a website that allows for "frank commentary," that's a whole lot of Nicklaus honking coming from Chris Johnston!!!

I'm more impressed with "keeping it real" and honest commentary than I am with loyalist pandering and butt-kissing.  Save the canned speeches for opening day, Chris.

Michael

I'm not sure what "honking" is but if it means I admire Jack and his career in golf, I certainly do.  And I'm not real good at speeches my friend.  With his body of evidence, Jack has made a huge mark on golf design and has done a bundle of truly great courses.  Yes, he has worked with others and I find that a good thing.  These days, golf is fortunate to have several great designers, and all certainly deserve admiration and respect - they certainly have it from me.

Unlike most, I can speak from first hand knowledge, Jack is great and great to work with at Dismal River.  I don't have that experience with many others although I did spend a great few days with Bill Coore years ago.  As a Sand Hills guy, I really admire Bill and Ben as well.

Scott Warren

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2010, 05:50:22 AM »
If Dismal River is one of Jack's better courses, and it required significant changes so soon after opening, does that really say much in support of a claim that he is "arguably the best designer of the modern age"? Don't get me wrong, alternate opinions make the world go 'round, but I think left-field claims like that are best delivered with some kind of case to support them.

Even if we ignore the current crop of stars, does Nicklaus' portfolio or his design legacy (both his impact on the next generation of designers and the success of guys who trained under him) rival Pete Dye's?

JC Jones

« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2010, 07:23:05 AM »

Should the same be directed towards the people on this site who are members of courses designed by Doak and C&C and constantly kiss their butts?  They have a financial interest in the success of their course, no?  Or, how about the members of the industry who promote themselves and their own work on this website?

Moreover, this thread is about Dismal River.  I'm certain there are other threads to discuss the merits of Nicklaus designs, generally.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »
Moreover, this thread is about Dismal River.  I'm certain there are other threads to discuss the merits of Nicklaus designs, generally.

Chris Johnston brought up Nicklaus, saying he was "arguably the best designer in the modern age."  He also said that "Jack's contributions to both have been almost without peer.  Think of how many other great designers have become so with inspiration, at some point in life or career, by TGB.  The contributions are astounding."  So that is how the discussion got started about Nicklaus. 

Michael Dugger did not do a good (at least in terms of being polite) job expressing his opinion.  I think Chris Johnston is welcome to discuss Dismal River.  However, his posts are more interesting when he talks specifics about the course (e.g. planned changes, why they do things a certain way) rather than describing how great he thinks it is.  Is Chris the only person with a perceived bias towards his club posting?  Of course not.  The problem is that he hasn't been around very long and I believe all his posts have been about Dismal River or Jack Nicklaus. So this can create the perception that he's on the site to promote Dismal River and not discuss golf architecture in general.  I'm not saying this perception is accurate, but surely you can understand why some might view it that way.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Chris, Please don't let these few non-architecture related comments dissuade you from posting further.  It does require some backbone to stick with us, but, if we focus n the gca, and not the individuals, I'm certain we can all get along.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chris Johnston

« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »

Chris Johnston brought up Nicklaus, saying he was "arguably the best designer in the modern age."  He also said that "Jack's contributions to both have been almost without peer.  Think of how many other great designers have become so with inspiration, at some point in life or career, by TGB.  The contributions are astounding."  So that is how the discussion got started about Nicklaus. 

Michael Dugger did not do a good (at least in terms of being polite) job expressing his opinion.  I think Chris Johnston is welcome to discuss Dismal River.  However, his posts are more interesting when he talks specifics about the course (e.g. planned changes, why they do things a certain way) rather than describing how great he thinks it is.  Is Chris the only person with a perceived bias towards his club posting?  Of course not.  The problem is that he hasn't been around very long and I believe all his posts have been about Dismal River or Jack Nicklaus. So this can create the perception that he's on the site to promote Dismal River and not discuss golf architecture in general.  I'm not saying this perception is accurate, but surely you can understand why some might view it that way.

John

Saying Jack is arguably ther best designer of the modern age should not be controversial, it is a simple opinion and I expressed it on the number of great courses he has done over several decades.  I concur I am new here and am happy to answer questions about Dismal River, changes, and how she plays. A friend send me the thread and I merely chose to participate, in this thread.  I thought those here who were thoughtful might appreciate an inside look at the goings on at a unique place.  The thread isn't about me.

Being slammed (twice) by expressing my opinion was silly.  I was brought up to respect others and their opinions.  Making statements about "what I have heard" about a place or designer is as meaty as puffed rice.  I celebrate and respect golf and golf design - you will never see me say a bad word about any designer even if a particular design doesn't resonate with me.   There seem to be some "if Jack is good, then _______ must be bad" folks here, that is not my style.  Much of design is about the land the designer has at hand.  The sites for Sand Hills, Bandon, Dismal River, and Ballyneal were both unique and spectacular, and Bill and Ben, Tom, and yes, even Jack, did a wonderful job.  I'll celebrate them all and, like my children, will love each for their individual strengths.  But, that's just me.  I'm glad they aren't the same.

Last night, there was a discussion that included Old Tom Morris and Jack Nicklaus, proving my point that Jack has had a big impact on the game and design.  That was both unique and cool.

I hope most will here have an opportunity to visit Dismal River and see firsthand what is here.  It is unique. Like art, it will probably resonate with some and not with others.

Adam, Thank you.

George Pazin

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »
There is a huge giant gaping gulf of gray between "X is the best designer..." and "X is arguably the best designer...", and it is in the gulf that Chris is swimming. We all have our own opinions and are entitled to them, and many choose to make bold statements to make a point. Hat's off to them - and Chris in this instance - it's bold opinions like that that make this site interesting.

Imho, some of the best threads are when someone makes a bold statement. Doesn't me we have to agree, or even accept the statement without challenging it.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Mayhugh

« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
Chris,
To be sure no misunderstanding - If you want to say Nicklaus is arguably the best designer of the modern age, you certainly ought to be able to do so.  It would seem like a jumping off point for further discussion.  If you say something like that, though, you should expect someone to challenge you.  Hopefully that will be in a civil manner.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »
Well said George and John...

the beauty of Chris' comments is that an entire new thread on Jack's architectural legacy has started.  That is good stuff for a discussion group focused on golf course architecture.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
The point of my comment was right along the lines of what John M. wrote...I apologize for not being polite enough.  

Diiscuss the details of Dismal River.  Absolutely, that's the point of this website.  

But I didn't see where that was happening...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:05:42 PM by Michael Dugger »

JC Jones

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2010, 01:08:15 PM »
The point of my comment was right along the lines of what John M. wrote...I apologize for not being polite enough.  

Diiscuss the details of Dismal River.  Absolutely, that's the point of this website.  

Pages 1-4? ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

Pages 1-4? ;D

You are correct, JC.  Indeed you are correct.  

You see, I have this affliction where I get hung up on B.S.  It blinds me to all that is good.

When I read "masterpiece" and "Jack is arguably the best modern golf course architect" all I saw was technicolor. ::)

Then black.......then red. >:(  

Here's hoping we can get back to discourse....and here's hoping Chris Johnston will bring some meat to the conversation.  

I'd LOVE to know the truth behind the speculation.  

Why has the course been tinkered with so?  Spare me the politically correct version, let's get the dirt.

Why the changes?  
What did the elements/weather show over the past two years?  
Was the course unforgiving, too hard on high handicappers?

For the record, I am not a Nicklaus hater nor a Dismal River hater.  I've always thought some of the holes looked spectacular....and I've also read a lot of things on this website that have driven at the fact the design was somewhat forced onto the landscape...and that they've run into problems because of that...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:27:09 PM by Michael Dugger »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »

Chris Johnston

Say what you feel, submit your opinions and put forwards your thoughts, because you have as much right as anyone else on this site. So we agree or not, so what, but it’s in the manner of disagreeing that counts.

This site has its share of jealous little minded people who believe their opinions are more valid than others. You will soon learn who they are, yet we have many who have a wealth of great knowledge on nearly all subjects some with a wicked sense of humour as well. They far outweigh  those sorry individuals who want to put you down or correct your subject matter. Ignore and pity the thought police who seem to be lost in their world.

The site is about golf and all your opinions on the subject, don’t hold back and don’t let others shut you up either.

Melvyn

Michael Dugger

« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
Quite obviously your rant is directed at me, Melvyn, and that's fine.

I dislike your form of communication, and thus I tell you so.  You aren't much for conversing, but you are a lot for preaching.

You state your opinion and yer gone.

Well, indeed you are entitled to that, and in case you are confused, I do agree with you there.

But being entitled to an opinion doesn't mean it's a good one, an interesting one, an intriguing one or one other folks wish to discuss with you.

Eric Smith

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
Chris

My member friend is heading back out there tomorrow, lucky dog.  I imagine one of those double cut pork chops has his name written all over it.  I hope you all enjoy a weekend of great weather, great golf and great college football.  Will the cinema room have any game of consequence on, say around 1:30MDT? ;)

Eric

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
Who needs to judge the opinions of others, we should just agree, discuss  or agree to disagree.

As for rant, no its just a comment to a new guy. You have done most of the ranting over this topic on both threads.

A little courtesy to a new guy may go a long way to making him feel welcome

Melvyn

Chris Johnston

« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »

Pages 1-4? ;D

You are correct, JC.  Indeed you are correct.  

You see, I have this affliction where I get hung up on B.S.  It blinds me to all that is good.

When I read "masterpiece" and "Jack is arguably the best modern golf course architect" all I saw was technicolor. ::)

Then black.......then red. >:(  

Here's hoping we can get back to discourse....and here's hoping Chris Johnston will bring some meat to the conversation.  

I'd LOVE to know the truth behind the speculation.  

Why has the course been tinkered with so?  Spare me the politically correct version, let's get the dirt.

Why the changes?  
What did the elements/weather show over the past two years?  
Was the course unforgiving, too hard on high handicappers?

For the record, I am not a Nicklaus hater nor a Dismal River hater.  I've always thought some of the holes looked spectacular....and I've also read a lot of things on this website that have driven at the fact the design was somewhat forced onto the landscape...and that they've run into problems because of that...

Why the changes - to make the course better. The Sand Hills are almost alive, quite hilly, the wind blows and the courses shift or change naturally.  Several changes here have been for maintenance or drainage and/or playability in reaction to a sometime hostile environment. While a completely different personality than Sand Hills, Dismal is a blast!  I really believe you will find few better courses anywhere.

Elements/weather:  Bunkers are natural and change shape via wind or multi inch downpour in mere minutes.  

Dismal is very forgiving but unlike most "home" courses - originally the roughs were high and thick and we have thinned this so a ball can be advanced with some effort.  We keep the track fast.  

You are misinformed, Jack moved less dirt than you could put in your garage to build the entire course.  The holes were placed upon the existing topography - some of the greens should probably have been worked more - they have now been changed after the fact.  The great thing here is you play most all the clubs and the lies are not boringly flat.  

Michael, all courses are hard for high handicappers - that's why they are high handicappers! We had a fellow shoot 62 at Dismal two weeks ago, followed by a 65.  Jack shot 68 in June.  A new member shot 69.

You should come and see for yourself!

Eric - Yes, there will be a "bit of Red" on tomorrow.  The Dismal 2x Chop is fast becomeing the signature dish!  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:28:58 PM by Chris Johnston »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back