News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: DISMAL RIVER GOLF CLUB
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 06:35:26 AM »
Paul Jones:

Yes it was a recent visit, just last week.  They tell me it is because of the changes that the gc is so much better.
My member friend would like to host a group next season.  I hope you can make it out to see for yourself.

Eric

Brian Laurent

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
Great stuff, Eric.  Does the course favor any shot-shape?
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Adam Clayman

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
Not one shot shape is preferred. Jack got away from that tag years ago. Due to the changes ground options are now even more of an option in many holes.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Gray

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »
Jim,

I don't have to rank golf courses and I won't do it on this thread.  The Doak scale is not my scale and I wouldn't want to try to fit my preferences to any one else's much less fit someone else's to mine.

I said I loved it and it is my favorite played to date. 

But thanks for asking.

Do you think you'll give Dismal River a look some time?  I hope you do. 

Eric

CLASS

Anthony Gray

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »
With all due respect, if this were designed by Mr. Doak or Coore/Crenshaw, wouldn't this course get a lot more love around here...

Dismal River looks AWESOME!

Sand Hills and Ballyneal looks great as well, and I am not comparing, but I guess I don't understand why DR gets no love.  Can someone help me out?

+1

Jim Tang

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 07:45:12 PM »
Really wonderful pictures.  Thanks for posting.  DR looks fantastic.

Jim Colton

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »
With all due respect, if this were designed by Mr. Doak or Coore/Crenshaw, wouldn't this course get a lot more love around here...

Dismal River looks AWESOME!

Sand Hills and Ballyneal looks great as well, and I am not comparing, but I guess I don't understand why DR gets no love.  Can someone help me out?

+1

Not sure I agree with you Jordan.  There was a lot of hype and buzz surrounding this course before it opened.  Search the archives and you'll dig up a lot of anticipation.  It sounds like they had some growing pains that turned people off, but from the looks of it, are heading in the right direction.

Jim

Greg Tallman

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »
One designer's QUIRK is another's failed attempt to copy?

That said I can see the differnece between the courses bing compared and would be hard pressed to place DR in the class of the others based solely on visual appeal and playing charatceistics that have been discussed/reported.   

TD and C&C do seem to have a special knack for bleeding the planted grasses into the natural landscape in a softer more pleasing manner... and that is not a knock on DR or Nicklaus/Corcoran.

Eric Smith

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
Really wonderful pictures.  Thanks for posting.  DR looks fantastic.

Jim,

Thanks.  Would you believe all were taken with my iPhone4?  I am amazed how much Apple improved their camera from the horrible one in my first iPhone.  My better camera quit working at Wild Horse and I was bummed.  I love it when a plan comes together. ;)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »
Really wonderful pictures.  Thanks for posting.  DR looks fantastic.

Jim,

Thanks.  Would you believe all were taken with my iPhone4?  I am amazed how much Apple improved their camera from the horrible one in my first iPhone.  My better camera quit working at Wild Horse and I was bummed.  I love it when a plan comes together. ;)

Pfft...what do you know about cameras?   >:(

Nothing beats the one I use!!!   ::)

What is the saying?...you can talk trash about a man's wife, his job, and his weight...but don't say anything about his choice of cameras.  Isn't that right?  Maybe instead of camera it is favorite golf course, but maybe not. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:45:45 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
Great pics, Eric.  Now I really wish I'd made it a day early to play there with you guys.  Looks like a fun track.  And, I can say that the view from the clubhouse is really fantastic. 

Chris Johnston

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »
Dismal River is a terrific course in great shape.  The experience is simply outstanding.  Jack was just out and spent a few hours in a late night Q and A at the firepit.  Every hole is epic and not a weak one in the bunch!  Every shot/every club.  The food and lodging are world class.

Attention to detail is a priority.  An example, each of the 2,800 irrigation heads have been calibrated, one by one.  

Hard, Fast, and Green!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:43:04 AM by Chris Johnston »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
Chris...

welcome aboard!!

I agree with you that Dismal is awesome stuff.

Could you answer a few quick questions?

When is the new green on 14 going to fully come on-line?  Will the current green still be maintained and used periodically?

It looks like there was a new tee box and fairway coming in on 6.  Will that be an additional tee box or are y'all moving the existing ones to over there?

Again, you've got a great course and an amazing club.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »
Dismal River is a terrific course in great shape.  The experience is simply outstanding.  Jack was just out and spent a few hours in a late night Q and A at the firepit.  Every hole is epic and not a weak one in the bunch!  Every shot/every club.  The food and lodging are world class.

Attention to detail is a priority.  An example, each of the 2,800 irrigation heads have been calibrated, one by one.  

Hard, Fast, and Green!

Welcome to GCA Chris!

I'm assuming you are the same Chris Johnston we met at Dismal River on my visit last week with John Kavanaugh?  

The night we stayed there, I emailed my wife the picture I took of your dogs while we were out playing.  They are really beautiful dogs!  So the next day she tells me that she and the kids had decided our next dog will be a BMD.

Here's the pic.

Kudos Chris -- to you and your team for doing a fantastic job out there.  I wish you much success and I can't wait to get back out again next year.

Eric

John Mayhugh

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »

Hard, Fast, and Green!

Welcome to GCA.  For those of us that have not met you, what is your affiliation with the club? 

JC Jones

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 08:28:09 AM »

Hard, Fast, and Green!

Welcome to GCA.  For those of us that have not met you, what is your affiliation with the club?  

A quick Google search (us kids and our technology) says he is an owner.

Here is a link to a recent Brad Klein article where Chris is quoted (including a very compelling picture at the top):

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/aug/16/unique-look-golf-nebraska/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:31:59 AM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
Chris...

welcome aboard!!

I agree with you that Dismal is awesome stuff.

Could you answer a few quick questions?

When is the new green on 14 going to fully come on-line?  Will the current green still be maintained and used periodically?

It looks like there was a new tee box and fairway coming in on 6.  Will that be an additional tee box or are y'all moving the existing ones to over there?

Again, you've got a great course and an amazing club.

A few answers in one place...We are slowly growing in a new fairway and green on 13.  It won't come on line until next spring.  When completed, we will unplug the exiisting green for rework and grow it in over next year.  Then, we will use both greens for the hole as both are too good.

The tee on 6 will be moved down to the valley towards 7 fairway.  The tees will then be a bit more remote.  We also plan to change 18 by moving the green and shortening the hole a bit.  It will be a stunning 500+ yard uphill par five into the prevailing wind with a view of the green the entire way.  For the earlier question, the fairway on 18 is quite wide - almost 60 yards!

I am the CEO and managing shareholder of Dismal.  Like our neighbors, we allow limited access to the club for those who love and respect the game. We believe great golf should be shared as long as our Members aren't impacted.

Those of you who don't have a member to bring you...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:35:45 AM by Chris Johnston »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »
Thanks for the pictures and updates fellas.  I'm glad to see DR moving in the right direction it seems.  The sand hills are indeed a magical place.  Living only a few hours away makes this compelling - I may have to try and get up there soon.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
Chris, Are there any arguments that could be made to save the existing 18th green?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:59:39 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
Great pictures Eric...thank you for sharing.  I have been intrigued by this course for some time, and especially after the changes were made.  I'm really missing living in Denver....would have been a nice road trip to take one weekend.  the course looks fantastic, and great to hear that it plays fun and well too! 

Chris - beautiful dogs!  I wish I could have my girl with me at work and out on the course!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
Chris, Are there any arguments that could be made to save the existing 18th green?

Adam - probably not.  I believe the hole, while very good today, will be enhanced by the changes.

Richard Choi

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
How far apart are Sand Hills, Dismal River, Prairie Club, and Wild Horse? Seems like a great road trip through Nebraska. What would be the ideal itinerary?

Tim Bert

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »

Hard, Fast, and Green!

Chris - Welcome to the site.  I've read a couple comments that imply that Dismal would be a very difficult walk.  I also read another comment that Dismal would not be that much more difficult to walk than Sand Hills except for the fact that walking paths haven't been cut in many cases.

I'd love to hear your comments on the walkability of Dismal River.  Are there any plans in the near future to create any such walking paths, or is that just not a priority for the existing membership?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:35:16 PM by Tim Bert »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
How far apart are Sand Hills, Dismal River, Prairie Club, and Wild Horse? Seems like a great road trip through Nebraska. What would be the ideal itinerary?
I think SH and DR are quite close, within half hour or so of each other.  PC is about an hour north, and WH is about an hour and a half or so southeast.

All quite close together and would indeed make a great trip.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Scott Szabo

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2010, 01:35:34 PM »
Eric,

In one of your pictures on the 2nd hole I see some cart tracks in the fairways - was it overly wet when you were there? 

Do you know what grasses were used throughout the course?  Is it similar to what was used at Sand Hills and the Prairie Club?

If you can't answer maybe Chris can.

Thanks,

Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back