News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re: Monterey Golf
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
Is it worth $260?

Yes. Its a very good golf course....

Niall Hay

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Is it worth $260?

If one has no monetary worries, then yes.
If one cares how much one pays to play golf, then no.

Seems to me if one is playing the four previously mentioned, cost is not much of a factor.

;D

Well said Tom....

Niall Hay

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
This is the response I just received with regards to ranking the Peninsula courses from a buddy who has played all many times and lived there at RLS for a number for years  with access to all as well as captained the golf team there (RLS)….

“Cypress, mpcc-shore, mpcc-dunes, spyglass, pebble,  Spanish bay, poppy, PG”……interesting this is the 3rd person to not only like the MPCC second best but also Spyglass more than Pebble…again these are opinions (so in theory can’t be incorrect).

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »
Niall - your friend is not alone in those opinions - in fact, Spyglass over Pebble is fairly common among competitive players, and as for the two MPCC courses, preference of Shore is VERY VERY common in this forum and elsewhere... Shore gets way more press.  Putting either ahead of Pebble, well that is unique.

In any case you're correct, these all are opinions and cannot be wrong.

You're just going to have to consider the sources I guess in terms of how you prioritize.

My take is based on how fun the courses are to play.  I don't care much about architecture or design.  I'm also an OK player (5 handicap) but my strong competitive days are way behind me, if they ever occurred at all.

So judge accordingly.

David_Tepper

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
The 18th hole on the MPCC Shore was closed for alterations when I was down there in late February. Does anyone know if it is open and back in play yet?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 02:07:50 PM »
Niall. Many place Spy ahead because of the forest. Its like comfort food for most Americans because it reminds them of home. Also, many don't rate on architecture rather the experience. Its very hard to trump the private facility, experience wise with a public. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Niall Hay

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
Niall. Many place Spy ahead because of the forest. Its like comfort food for most Americans because it reminds them of home. Also, many don't rate on architecture rather the experience. Its very hard to trump the private facility, experience wise with a public. 

Must be why people love Cypress as well.....that and everything else about that masterpiece...

David Stamm

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
Spyglass and Pebble are not close in quality in design as some have claimed, IMO. Pebble is a clearly better design. While Spyglass is a good course, it is overrated, and frankly, when some say that if it were elsewhere would be more highly thought of, I think it works the other way. I think SH benefits BECAUSE it's on the peninsula. Someone made the comment (Tim I think) that Poppy and Spyglass are closer than Spyglass and Pebble and that is right on. And there is nothing wrong with that. Spyglass is worth a play, but another round there at the expense of playing another at Pebble is a major mistake. Personally, I'd play Pasa every time over SH, as it's a superior design in every respect. Del Monte and Pajaro are fun courses that will not feel like you wasted your time and the price for the area is quite good.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Hoak

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »
The new 18th at MPCC Shore is done.  It is a great improvement over the old hole, but it has received some criticism because the bunkering doesn't exactly match the rest of the course--and the green is very rolling and maybe a bit out of character.  But on the whole, it is good.  It was much needed.

Niall Hay

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
Who designed the new hole?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »
The level of quality is so high throught the area. I find it hard to rate them. I think Cypress, Pebble, MPCC Shore, Spyglass, MPCC Dunes, Bayonet, Preserve, Spanish Bay, Quail Valley, Poppy Hills, Carmel Calley Ranch, Pacific Grove Muni, Clint's other course.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:26 PM »
Thanks Kevin.  What were conditions like at Pacific Grove?

Niall

I was there last Oct and it was in pretty good nick. If you dont go there with too high expectations - particularly in relation to it's neighbours -  they will probably be exceeded.

Tom

I really enjoyed the variety and flow of the holes throughout the Shores routing. It felt a bit cramped around the 5th tee I'll admit but then it opens out again. I dont think I've ever seen three P5's and three P3's intertwinned by but one P4 through a seven hole stretch before ? - all of a different feel and character. Each to there own - for sure  :)

Niall Hay

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  What were conditions like at Pacific Grove?

Niall

I was there last Oct and it was in pretty good nick. If you dont go there with too high expectations - particularly in relation to it's neighbours -  they will probably be exceeded.

Sounds like Pacific Grove might be a nice little change of pace, both financially and otherwise….especially if you have an afternoon without a tee time planned at one of the other courses on the Peninsula.

Niall Hay

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
The 18th hole on the MPCC Shore was closed for alterations when I was down there in late February. Does anyone know if it is open and back in play yet?

What was wrong with the 18th hole? What kind of alterations?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
Niall--Gil Hanse is now the architect hired to oversee changes to the Shore Course.  As an aside, he is also doing the changes at LACC.  The 18th at the Shore was a problem from the beginning--not liked by members or golf designers.  Strantz said it only a way to get to near the Clubhouse from the 17th green.  It was straight uphill with a very unfair green.  It is now more of a dogleg, and the green was rebuilt and the hole rebunkered.  It may still need to be refined a bit, but it is certainly better.  Gil Hanse is looking at other tweeks to the Shore, but I don't know what will be done.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
If you are planning on playing both Spyglass and SpBay with a group or multiple times and want to save some cash you might consider the Duke's Card, check it out!

http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=2350
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Niall Hay

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
Niall--Gil Hanse is now the architect hired to oversee changes to the Shore Course.  As an aside, he is also doing the changes at LACC.  The 18th at the Shore was a problem from the beginning--not liked by members or golf designers.  Strantz said it only a way to get to near the Clubhouse from the 17th green.  It was straight uphill with a very unfair green.  It is now more of a dogleg, and the green was rebuilt and the hole rebunkered.  It may still need to be refined a bit, but it is certainly better.  Gil Hanse is looking at other tweeks to the Shore, but I don't know what will be done.

Great insight Jim, thanks!  Gil Hanse is an excellent choice.

Niall Hay

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
If you are planning on playing both Spyglass and SpBay with a group or multiple times and want to save some cash you might consider the Duke's Card, check it out!

http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=2350

For the annual fee of $290, you'll enjoy reduced green fees, frequent golfer rewards programs, seasonal dining specials and superb Stay & Play offers.
NOW IS THE TIME TO EXPERIENCE PEBBLE BEACH
Host of the 2010 U.S. Open!

Club privileges for spouse $100 or junior $65 each

Course Regular
Rate Member
Rate Guest
Rate* Member Twilight Rate
   Del Monte Golf Course $110 $42 Mon-Fri
$59 Sat-Sun
& Holidays $52 Mon-Fri
$72 Sat-Sun
& Holidays $30
   The Links at Spanish Bay** $260 $135 $135 $75
   Spyglass Hill Golf Course** $350 $185 $185 $100
* Up to 3 accompanied guests at the discounted guest rate(s).

Tom Yost

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
Is it worth $260?

You'll be getting the Senior discount, right?  l-o-l

You are hip to the NCGA "Association Membership" right?   $25 if you are a member of another state or regional golf association.  This can get some discounts at Poppy for sure and others depending...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
Here is a list of courses on the Peninsula

I have not played it but the cheapest golf around has to be the Montery Pines. It is an 18 hole 5,550 yard course that has taken on the bones of the old Navy Course. I drive by it quite often when getting my Q Time, and the place looked very attractive.

Perhaps someone who has played it can opine.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »

Niall Hay

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
Nial

If I was to give my recommendation based on which courses I've seen in Monterey - admiting that I've only seen them once or a couple of times - I would go with the following.

Cypress Point

Pebble Beach

Monterey Peninsula (Shores) - routing flows really well
Spyglass Hill - it's best holes are at the begining of the round

Monterey Peninsula (Dunes) - some great holes but the routing wasn't as strong for mine as Shores
Links at Spanish Bay

Poppy Hills

Pacific Grove - lovely B9

So Kevin, is this your final order? Cypress Point, Pebble Beach, Monterey Peninsula (Shores), Spyglass Hill , Monterey Peninsula (Dunes), Links at Spanish Bay for a top 5 in order or prioritizing play? Cost and access aside? This seems to be the consensus on this site.

Niall Hay

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
Also, in somewhat related topic what are the best places to eat/drink in the area? Pacific Grove, Carmel or Monterey?

For food I’ve heard Passionfish, Casanova, Fandango, Luca and Roy’s…for drink Hogs Breath and Jack London. Any others of note?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »
Also, in somewhat related topic what are the best places to eat/drink in the area? Pacific Grove, Carmel or Monterey?

For food I’ve heard Passionfish, Casanova, Fandango, Luca and Roy’s…for drink Hogs Breath and Jack London. Any others of note?

the Fishwife in Asilomar is one of my favorites along with the Monterey Fish House.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Niall Hay

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
Thanks Tim. Where is Asilomar? Also are these casual or formal?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back