News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Monterey Golf
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
I'm confused. Niall asks to rank the others. Not CPC. So this question of which is better is moot to his question, isn't it?

If I read the OP correctly, he conceded CPC #1 (good plan   ;D ) and then wanted to know how the others ranked.  Somebody else was pushing Spyglass as #2, I disagree 9-1 in favor of Pebble.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
While CPC does hold the #1 position for me, Pebble is a close and worthy #2 in the area. Spyglass and MPCC Shore are worthy Top 100 USA courses as well, and Spanish Bay is still pretty good even if it can't sniff those others. Those five, plus Pasatiempo, are still the best golf trip I've ever taken. I'd like to get back to see the other options and see those courses again!

Jim Hoak

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
As always, it depends--
I think that Spyglass is great, especially when it is dry, which it always is this time of year.  If you are a very good golfer, you will be challenged.  While not up to Pebble in scenery, it is close in golf design.  I've always thought that it would be a great course for the PGA Championship, but they won't have it there because of competitiveness with the USGA.  I can't tell you why, but it just seems right for the PGA.
Both of the MPCC courses are great.  I personally prefer the Dunes because it is a classic Raynor lay-out.  It has new back tees from last summer that make it a real challenge.  The only reason that the Shore has had more publicity is that the Shore is sand-capped and plays well in the wet winter season.  So it is the only real choice for the ATT Pro-Am.  But this time of year, don't miss the Dunes.  As usual, Bob Huntley has the correct insight into it.  The Dunes only lacks a bit from being a top 100 course--although that may require putting some of the Raynor features back into it that were taken away by Rees Jones.
The courses at the old Fort Ord--Bayonette and Black Horse--have been redone and get mixed reviews.  The Preserve is beautiful, like most Fazio courses, but it is a typical Fazio design.  Pacific Grove has 9 good holes and 9 mediocre ones.
Many good choices, but you have hit on the right order from others in these responses.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
from somebody who plays in Monterey four weeks a year for the last 30 years and has no private access and has never played CPC or either MPCC courses heres my rating of publics within 20 miles of Monterey:

1 .Pebble
2. Spyglass
3. Bayonet
4. Poppy Hills
5. Black Horse
6. Pacific Grove
7. Del Monte
8. Rancho Canada West
9. Laguna Seca
10. Carmel Valley Ranch

Tim, have you played Spanish Bay? I haven't -- just wondering where that course might fit on this list. It could be a choice for a second course if I ever try to get another Pebble Beach tee time.

I have played Spanish Bay several times when they had deals for under $100 but I really dislike the course for the unplayable sand dunes that you have to take a drop out of and the layup and blind holes. Just not a great value and I can't recommend it. Would rather play Pacific Grove for a quarter of the price.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
from somebody who plays in Monterey four weeks a year for the last 30 years and has no private access and has never played CPC or either MPCC courses heres my rating of publics within 20 miles of Monterey:

1 .Pebble
2. Spyglass
3. Bayonet
4. Poppy Hills
5. Black Horse
6. Pacific Grove
7. Del Monte
8. Rancho Canada West
9. Laguna Seca
10. Carmel Valley Ranch

Tim, have you played Spanish Bay? I haven't -- just wondering where that course might fit on this list. It could be a choice for a second course if I ever try to get another Pebble Beach tee time.

I have played Spanish Bay several times when they had deals for under $100 but I really dislike the course for the unplayable sand dunes that you have to take a drop out of and the layup and blind holes. Just not a great value and I can't recommend it. Would rather play Pacific Grove for a quarter of the price.

Rick - Just for a second perspective on this...  The first time I went to Monterey I steered away from Spanish because I had a pretty full plate but also because I had read reviews similar to Tim's that led me to believe I might not enjoy the course.

The second time I went back, my friend and I scheduled one round at Spanish just to try it out and then we had a few "free" tee times where we were just going to pop in and see if Pebble was available for an additional round or just to play it by ear based on which courses he enjoyed.  We ended up playing Spanish Bay three times and enjoyed it.  We were paying a reduced NCGA rate so I think it was $135 instead of the rack $220 or so.  We wouldn't have played it 3 times for the full rate, but for the price tag we thought it was an ok "value" given the prices on the peninsula.  It isn't going to blow anyone away compared to the other options in the immediate area but there are some fun holes out there and I think it is worth a one-time play to make up your mind for yourself.

Not to say Tim is wrong or Tim is right.  We just have a different opinion and thought you might like to hear both sides.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »
Thanks to you both -- very helpful.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Niall Hay

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 09:38:51 PM »
Niall:

Brent darn near nails it... just some quibbles...

Do not short-shrift MPCC Dunes.  Shore gets all the glamor and talk in here... but Dunes is the better golf course overall.  SO.. I'd agree with Brent I guess - play Shore first, just so you can see what all the hullabaloo is about - but do not miss Dunes.

Preserve is pretty damn good too - somewhat like Spyglass, just gets overshadowed by all the other local greatness.

Links at Spanish Bay, somewhat same thing.. gets ripped in here, but this is a weird crowd.  If you enjoy ocean views and linksy-golf, it will keep you interested.  I've always had very fun times there.

TH (local perspective)

What makes the Dunes a better course in your eyes? How true a Raynor is it?

Links at Spanish Bay just intrigues me....and it's such a beautiful setting...

Niall Hay

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
You don't have Pacific Grove on your list......

How does one access Pacific Grove? Any local rules? Can you walk up, pay and play?

Niall Hay

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »

Dunes is a better golf course.

Tom, what makes Dunes a better course?

Niall Hay

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
I'm confused. Niall asks to rank the others. Not CPC. So this question of which is better is moot to his question, isn't it?

Niall. Do you currently have plans for CPC?

What's your preferences in golf courses? Parkland? What's your handicap?
We should be able to better answer your question with this added info.

Yes, always have plans for CPC though have played its twice and was blown away both times. Played Pebble as well, but as a group we thought it was apples and oranges... and only the very best couple holes at PB could even be in the same breath as any at CPC...

The handicaps range in our foursome from 0-3.... some in group are much longer than I, but also loved CPC despite relative short length.

Niall Hay

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »

What's your preferences in golf courses? Parkland?

Adam, spot on... we've played CPC (though would do it again anytime) and PB, but would like to experience everything possible on the Peninsula/variety... including MPCC (both) and Spyglass among others... trying to figure how to prioritize and also not miss any "sleepers" that may not be part of the "standard tour"..... hope that makes sense...

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
Nial

If I was to give my recommendation based on which courses I've seen in Monterey - admiting that I've only seen them once or a couple of times - I would go with the following.

Cypress Point

Pebble Beach

Monterey Peninsula (Shores) - routing flows really well
Spyglass Hill - it's best holes are at the begining of the round

Monterey Peninsula (Dunes) - some great holes but the routing wasn't as strong for mine as Shores
Links at Spanish Bay

Poppy Hills

Pacific Grove - lovely B9

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »
Apples to Oranges is a great way to describe how and why people can prefer each one differently.

With your handi's, I'd say Spy from the tips is just the ticket. Also, because of the ESA's on Spanish Bay, your group may well be very challenged.

If you're willing to travel a tad, Pajaro Valley is an excellent suggestion on your way up to Pasatiempo. Don't let the small price tag fool you, Pete Galea does a great job of offering a sophisticated maintenance presentation on a course with loads of quirk. Architecturally it may not have 18 greats, but it does a fine job on value.

The only other suggestion that might be of interest is San Juan Oaks, near Hollister. It's has distinctly different nines, with the back nine covering some rather dramatic central california property. Less value than Pajaro, and, not near the coast, but should challenge.

Courses that I can't opine on; Tehama, and that Nicklaus course in Carmel Valley....can't remember the name. Sorry.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Niall Hay

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 09:09:19 AM »
Thanks Adam.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 09:24:57 AM »
Regarding Pebble v. Cypress, he asked “is it really Cypress and then all others”.  So a few of us were just trying to answer that.

Regarding the two courses at MPCC, first, please understand that they are both great - so this comes down to nitpicking between two gems.  But for me:

1.  I disagree with Kevin and say the routing is actually stronger on Dunes.  Shore has a fundamental routing error, I think:   there is inevitably a bottleneck at the 7th hole - I don't think I've ever played it without waiting a long time on that tee.  It also tends to get compounded by 9... these are each long strong par threes where people either lose a ball or otherwise take a long time playing – thus although 7-8-9 are all great golf holes, it just tends to take so long to play them, a bit of the joy is removed.  It just seems to be a bit of a mess to me there, and Mr. Huntley has voiced the same opinion.  Meanwhile on Dunes there is no such thing... and even outside this, I kinda like how each course starts sort of slowly (with holes in the forest, then builds and builds) just to me Dunes just does it a little better, and it also doesn't have the let-down 18th that Shore does.

2.  Routing isn't the be all and end all for me though; for me, it comes down to the golf holes.  And as Kevin alludes to, Dunes just has the slightly stronger and more fun golf holes, particularly the par threes.  We've gone over it one by one before, and for me, Dunes comes out ahead on the overall.  Each of 4, 10 and 14 are absolute world-class holes, with the shot on 14 being particularly thrilling over the ocean.  Dunes just doesn't quite have the world-class holes like that (not to me anyway), though 6 is an incredible par 5.
That’s it in a nutshell.  I’ve played each course at least a dozen times.  They are both great.  But I do slightly prefer Dunes.

Regarding other courses to be played in the general area:

Pajaro Valley – yes, it is pretty cool, and the greens are wildly tilted, and generally in very very good shape.  It is a hidden gem somewhat.  Adam summed it up pretty well.  Just don’t get too wild with expectations… it is a hidden gem based on good value.  It’s not up in the pantheon with these Monterey greats.

San Juan Oaks – better golf course than Pajaro Valley as befitting the generally much higher price tag.  Some wild holes going up into hills, and a rare split fairway hole that works.  Good fun, again not all that worth leaving Monterey for, but if you must travel north on 101, worth stopping for.  It’s also a very stern challenge from the tips – your group might like that.

As for Pacific Grove, it is a municipal golf course – thus as open to the public as a golf course can be.  Yes, walk up, pay your fee, play – same as Pajaro, San Juan Oaks, all the ones Tim Leahy mentioned.  Each of these can get crowded, so best to call and make a reservation.

There are others – private clubs Pradera and Tehama and Corral de Tierra, some other publics on the way to Santa Cruz or elsewhere – but again, none are all that much worth seeking out, each would fall below most of the others already mentioned.
So Niall, it all comes down to how much time you have, if you can easily access these private clubs, and how much money you want to spend.  Give some answers there and I’m sure we each can give a detailed itinerary that would knock your socks off….

Niall Hay

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
Nial

If I was to give my recommendation based on which courses I've seen in Monterey - admiting that I've only seen them once or a couple of times - I would go with the following.

Cypress Point

Pebble Beach

Monterey Peninsula (Shores) - routing flows really well
Spyglass Hill - it's best holes are at the begining of the round

Monterey Peninsula (Dunes) - some great holes but the routing wasn't as strong for mine as Shores
Links at Spanish Bay

Poppy Hills

Pacific Grove - lovely B9

Thanks Kevin.  What were conditions like at Pacific Grove?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
Niall - regarding conditions at Pacific Grove, I have played there many times (though Adam was a local member there and he is the expert).  So I'd say like most of these courses, it depends on weather. PG is a strange course with two distinctly different nines - the front in somewhat in a forest (with houses surrounding it); the back goes across the street into a dunesy links world.  So the front doesn't drain nearly as well as the back (though it drains darn well compared to others around).  In terms of general conditions, well... it is a muni and they do their best.... it's never BAD, but it's always going to be a little scruffy compared to the to others.  This can be a good thing in terms of change of pace.  If you do play it, just keep this in mind in terms of expectations.

Niall Hay

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
Regarding Pebble v. Cypress, he asked “is it really Cypress and then all others”.  So a few of us were just trying to answer that.

Regarding the two courses at MPCC, first, please understand that they are both great - so this comes down to nitpicking between two gems.  But for me:

1.  I disagree with Kevin and say the routing is actually stronger on Dunes.  Shore has a fundamental routing error, I think:   there is inevitably a bottleneck at the 7th hole - I don't think I've ever played it without waiting a long time on that tee.  It also tends to get compounded by 9... these are each long strong par threes where people either lose a ball or otherwise take a long time playing – thus although 7-8-9 are all great golf holes, it just tends to take so long to play them, a bit of the joy is removed.  It just seems to be a bit of a mess to me there, and Mr. Huntley has voiced the same opinion.  Meanwhile on Dunes there is no such thing... and even outside this, I kinda like how each course starts sort of slowly (with holes in the forest, then builds and builds) just to me Dunes just does it a little better, and it also doesn't have the let-down 18th that Shore does.

2.  Routing isn't the be all and end all for me though; for me, it comes down to the golf holes.  And as Kevin alludes to, Dunes just has the slightly stronger and more fun golf holes, particularly the par threes.  We've gone over it one by one before, and for me, Dunes comes out ahead on the overall.  Each of 4, 10 and 14 are absolute world-class holes, with the shot on 14 being particularly thrilling over the ocean.  Dunes just doesn't quite have the world-class holes like that (not to me anyway), though 6 is an incredible par 5.
That’s it in a nutshell.  I’ve played each course at least a dozen times.  They are both great.  But I do slightly prefer Dunes.

Regarding other courses to be played in the general area:

Pajaro Valley – yes, it is pretty cool, and the greens are wildly tilted, and generally in very very good shape.  It is a hidden gem somewhat.  Adam summed it up pretty well.  Just don’t get too wild with expectations… it is a hidden gem based on good value.  It’s not up in the pantheon with these Monterey greats.

San Juan Oaks – better golf course than Pajaro Valley as befitting the generally much higher price tag.  Some wild holes going up into hills, and a rare split fairway hole that works.  Good fun, again not all that worth leaving Monterey for, but if you must travel north on 101, worth stopping for.  It’s also a very stern challenge from the tips – your group might like that.

As for Pacific Grove, it is a municipal golf course – thus as open to the public as a golf course can be.  Yes, walk up, pay your fee, play – same as Pajaro, San Juan Oaks, all the ones Tim Leahy mentioned.  Each of these can get crowded, so best to call and make a reservation.

There are others – private clubs Pradera and Tehama and Corral de Tierra, some other publics on the way to Santa Cruz or elsewhere – but again, none are all that much worth seeking out, each would fall below most of the others already mentioned.
So Niall, it all comes down to how much time you have, if you can easily access these private clubs, and how much money you want to spend.  Give some answers there and I’m sure we each can give a detailed itinerary that would knock your socks off….

Thanks Tom.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
One other thought on Spanish Bay:  If your group has good enough golfers, play the back tees.  I think it plays much better from back there.  It's almost like the course was designed solely from the back tees and the shorter tees were added as an afterthought.  The angles on the dog-legs from the up tees are too abrupt and the lay-ups are confusing, but these have more of a flow from the back tees.

Richard Choi

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
OK, I am going to Pebble for my 40th next year. I am planning maybe 2 rounds at Pebble, 1 at Spyglass, and 1 at Pasa. Should I even bother with Spanish and Poppy? I leaning towards no.

Niall Hay

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »
Sounds like Spanish at least is worth playing once...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
The Dunes course should not be missed if one can help it, the par-3's are world class as is the entire MPCC facility.  Pasatiempo is another must play if in the area, make the drive.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
OK, I am going to Pebble for my 40th next year. I am planning maybe 2 rounds at Pebble, 1 at Spyglass, and 1 at Pasa. Should I even bother with Spanish and Poppy? I leaning towards no.

Is the question replace one of the current 4 rounds with SB or Poppy Hills?  If so, then the answer is no.
If the question is do these as add-ons, then it's most definitely yes.  Don't listen to the bearded - each is well worth playing.
TH

Richard Choi

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
Is it worth $260?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »
Is it worth $260?

If one has no monetary worries, then yes.
If one cares how much one pays to play golf, then no.

Seems to me if one is playing the four previously mentioned, cost is not much of a factor.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back