News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Monterey Golf
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
Of course there is Cypress Point and then all others (if you are able to get access), and everyone knows about Pebble Beach, but as for the other courses on the Peninsula how should one prioritize them and which are the best?

Spyglass Hill – gets mixed reviews, some say they like as much if not more than Pebble and some think its overrated and too difficult.

MPCC – Shore – the newish  Strantz redesign has gotten rave reviews

MPCC – Dunes – how good is this Raynor?

Links at Spanish Bay – again some love and others hate…..where does it really fit? Hard to believe Sandy Tatum and Tom Watson (links lovers) would produce something less than spectacular…

Poppy Hills – see Spyglass and Links…..

How do they all rank?   Is it really Cypress and then all others? Having played CPC and Pebble, CPC blew me away….are the next 2 “must plays” Spyglass and MPCC – Shore to round out my MP experience?

Also where do course like The Preserve and Bayonet fit? Played Pasatiempo and LOVED it but that is a hike from the Penninsula.  Also enjoyed CordeValle though also a greater distance away….

Brent Hutto

Re: Monterey Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »
I played Spyglass Hill, Cypress Point and MPCC-Shore in that order during my one trip to the Peninsula. And also Pasa the day before making it down to the main attractions. If I ever make a return engagement I would choose a round at any of those three over just about any alternatives.

I'd love to play the Dunes course at MPCC one day but would not miss a round on the Shore to do it. And while Pebble Beach would be a treat I don't personally consider the difference between it and Spy nearly as huge as most people do (although maybe that would change if I ever actually played Pebble). I think Spyglass Hill is an awesome course that would be the best golf course in town virtually anywhere but where it is located or maybe a handful of other places.

Niall Hay

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:19 AM »
Awesome insight Brent, thanks! Had Spyglass and Shore in my mind for a while. Again would play CPC over almost anything anywhere….anytime.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
Niall:

Brent darn near nails it... just some quibbles...

Do not short-shrift MPCC Dunes.  Shore gets all the glamor and talk in here... but Dunes is the better golf course overall.  SO.. I'd agree with Brent I guess - play Shore first, just so you can see what all the hullabaloo is about - but do not miss Dunes.

Preserve is pretty damn good too - somewhat like Spyglass, just gets overshadowed by all the other local greatness.

Neither course at Bayonet is up in the pantheon with the rest of these, but each are decent enough and are very strern challenges.

Links at Spanish Bay, somewhat same thing.. gets ripped in here, but this is a weird crowd.  If you enjoy ocean views and linksy-golf, it will keep you interested.  I've always had very fun times there.

TH (local perspective)

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
You don't have Pacific Grove on your list......

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
Niall - As one that has been fortunate to play at both Pebble Beach and MPCC Dunes, in addition to Spyglass and MPCC Shore, I have a much different opinion than Brent.

I think there is a significant difference in Pebble and Spyglass and if I was already going to ante up enough money to pay for Spyglass, then I'd pay the difference to experience Pebble instead in a heartbeat.

I am not certain if I enjoy Shore or Dunes more.  They are both absolutely wonderful, and right up there with the Pebble experience in my opinion.  If I had played either the Shore or Dunes before but not both, I would not hesitate to play the other course before I played multiple rounds at one of the two.  They should both be experienced assuming you have an invitation to play.

I think Spanish Bay is closer in quality to Spyglass than Spyglass is to Pebble.  I would give strong consideration to one round at Spanish if you have the time.  It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Finally, Pacific Grove should be given a look if you like firm and fast and fun.  It's much cheaper than anything else on the peninsula and should be played once.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
I have played all mentioned, multiple times.

I'd sam Tim Bert nails it all.

Re Pacific Grove, well... the whole "poor man's Pebble Beach" thing is a bit overdone, but it is good fun.  Don't have huge expectations and you will enjoy it.  Front 9 is quirky and weird, back nine is linksy and cool.  Good fun for sure, at a bargain price relative to these others.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
Regarding Shore vs. Dunes (and I hoped I'd flush the Huckster with that comment) I will admit that I'm giving huge, perhaps unwarranted weighting to the sand-capped fairways at the former. Compared tot the good but not nearly perfect turf at the other courses I played in the area, playing on the MPCC Shore is a dream come true. Especially on a very windy afternoon as we played it the words "firm and fast" hardly do it justice.

The best 18 holes of turf from which I've ever hit a 5-iron would have to be Royal Birkdale the morning I played there in 2007. And some other links and heathland courses are only a notch below. But the Shore turf is by far the finest playing surface I've ever experiences on this side of the Atlantic. It lacks only the dusty shattering puff of a divot being created on actual links turf to mimic the experience I cross oceans to sample. Tom, Tim, others...is the turf at the Dunes remotely as pleasant a surface for golf?

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
I agree with Tim. I've played Pebble and Spyglass, and I'd do pretty much whatever it takes to scrape up the money to play Pebble again. I'm glad I played Spyglass, but I don't expect to make any effort to play it again.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »
Brent - The Dunes didn't play as firm and fast as the Shore Course my one time around and I think the fairway is a different grass.  Still, it is a beautiful golf course and fun to play.

Have you played in Bandon or at Kingsley?  I'd say both of those compare well for the stateside firm and fast award.  You are right that both times I've played Shore it was humming.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 10:32:08 AM »
My golf travel experience in the USA is surprisingly narrow, considering how many part of the England I've seen. So I'm still looking for my first taste of Michigan or Oregon or for that matter Long Island (dreaming) turf. Which is why I say I'm probably giving MPCC-Shore's turf even more weight than its quality deserved (which is considerable).

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
My experience at the MPCC courses is that it all depends on weather... in wet times, yes Shore still drains a bit better than Dunes, so it will play firmer and faster then.  But in dry times, it's a wash - they will be about the same, with maybe Shore a bit firmer and faster.

I also don't hold "firm and fast" out to be the be all and end all of golf, though. 

Dunes is a better golf course.

But yes, Shore can play very firm and fast... as Tim says, not quite so much as Bandon (or Wild Horse in Nebraska, or Sand Hills, or Ballyneal, or others more reknowned for this) but it can get very bouncy for sure.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »
How do they all rank?  Is it really Cypress and then all others?

Yes, absolutely -- without a doubt!
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:50:55 AM »
In my own limited experience, Cypress Point is sui generis. It is its own thing. Trying to determine if it is "better" or "worse" than other courses is unfair to the other courses because they are not Cypress Point.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm

I am not sure Cypress is CLEARLY above the rest, such that "Cypress and all the others" would be appropriate.

Pebble Beach is very very very great.  I put Cypress a tiny bit above it, for pure fun, but not much.  I'd take a round at Pebble Beach any time.  Heck ask me another day and I might put Pebble above Cypress. Then it's a little drop to the two MPCC courses and Spyglass, but again, not all that much.  We're talking some serious greatness for all of these....

And I'd say Pebble Beach is pretty sui generis also, Brent.

;D

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
When judging a golf course I think about how well it maximizes its POTENTIAL based on the land it occupies.  Pebble beach is amazing indeed, but in my mind it has much more room for improvement than Cypress Point.  

CPC 1929 vs. PB 1929 is an entirely different debate than CPC 2010 vs. PB 2010.  And the rest fall short no matter what era you're talking about.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:31:26 PM by Joshua Pettit »
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
Very cool, Josh.

I don't tend to care at all about what might have been.  I judge golf courses based on how they are now, because I sure can't play them any other way.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
How do they all rank?  Is it really Cypress and then all others?

Yes, absolutely -- without a doubt!

me too
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Dave_Miller

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Of course there is Cypress Point and then all others (if you are able to get access), and everyone knows about Pebble Beach, but as for the other courses on the Peninsula how should one prioritize them and which are the best?

Spyglass Hill – gets mixed reviews, some say they like as much if not more than Pebble and some think its overrated and too difficult.

MPCC – Shore – the newish  Strantz redesign has gotten rave reviews

MPCC – Dunes – how good is this Raynor?

Links at Spanish Bay – again some love and others hate…..where does it really fit? Hard to believe Sandy Tatum and Tom Watson (links lovers) would produce something less than spectacular…

Poppy Hills – see Spyglass and Links…..

How do they all rank?   Is it really Cypress and then all others? Having played CPC and Pebble, CPC blew me away….are the next 2 “must plays” Spyglass and MPCC – Shore to round out my MP experience?

Also where do course like The Preserve and Bayonet fit? Played Pasatiempo and LOVED it but that is a hike from the Penninsula.  Also enjoyed CordeValle though also a greater distance away….

Don;t overlook Pajaro Valley as a little known hidden gem in the area
Best
Dave

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »
I'm personally 9-1 Pebble over the 'Glass, but only because I'd like to see those first five holes at Spyglass again.  Discussed here lots, but I really think RTJ mangled that routing.

I'm Cypress-Pebble-MPCC Shore-MPCC Dunes-Spyglass-Spanish Bay, although I haven't played the Dunes yet.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
I'm confused. Niall asks to rank the others. Not CPC. So this question of which is better is moot to his question, isn't it?

Niall. Do you currently have plans for CPC?

Pebble is, as Huck says, even footed because of how special of a place it is. It may even be a more educational experience, because of the opinions of those who feel every hole need be a 10, to warrant greatness of the whole.

I can tell you that the caddies from St. Andrews preferred Pacific Grove to them all, although they were only allowed to tour CPC. (Which in and of it's self is not that easy to get permission to do). And, because most were not big hitters and the competition they were in town for was from the tips.

So, Depending on your preferences and ability the ranking will change.

What's your preferences in golf courses? Parkland? What's your handicap?
We should be able to better answer your question with this added info.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
For all of you who need information on the Dunes I suggest you contact Brad Klein. The Board at MPCC have consulted with him on how to make the Dunes a top 100 course. Suffice to say, that some improvements could be made.

Bob

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
from somebody who plays in Monterey four weeks a year for the last 30 years and has no private access and has never played CPC or either MPCC courses heres my rating of publics within 20 miles of Monterey:

1 .Pebble
2. Spyglass
3. Bayonet
4. Poppy Hills
5. Black Horse
6. Pacific Grove
7. Del Monte
8. Rancho Canada West
9. Laguna Seca
10. Carmel Valley Ranch
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jed Peters

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »
For all of you who need information on the Dunes I suggest you contact Brad Klein. The Board at MPCC have consulted with him on how to make the Dunes a top 100 course. Suffice to say, that some improvements could be made.

Bob

Bob,

I think they should add more back tees. That should get it into the top 100. 

Because, after all, the rankings are what matter.

Best,

Jed

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »
from somebody who plays in Monterey four weeks a year for the last 30 years and has no private access and has never played CPC or either MPCC courses heres my rating of publics within 20 miles of Monterey:

1 .Pebble
2. Spyglass
3. Bayonet
4. Poppy Hills
5. Black Horse
6. Pacific Grove
7. Del Monte
8. Rancho Canada West
9. Laguna Seca
10. Carmel Valley Ranch

Tim, have you played Spanish Bay? I haven't -- just wondering where that course might fit on this list. It could be a choice for a second course if I ever try to get another Pebble Beach tee time.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back