News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

A great Devereaux Emmet short hole
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
This is the 330-295 yard 13th hole at Wheatley Hills GC.  The course has been undergoing a restoration/renovation by Hurzden/Fry.  The course lost some holes to the Grand Central Pkwy over 50 years ago and they have done a wonderful job of making it difficult to differentiate the non-Emmet holes.  Though the bunkering might not be exactly what Emmet created, it is close in the aesthetics of neighboring Emmet courses.  This hole has probably lost over 100 trees the past couple of years.  In yesterday's tournament, the green was driven and the hole also scored several 6's--I witnessed one from pin high left.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:16:20 PM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Eric Franzen

Re: A great Devereaux Emmett short hole
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
Nice short par 4 there.

I am probably a bit lost here. But what's the purpose with the left fairway bunkers? Do they create a bit of balance or are they just there for safety reasons?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »

Love a short par 4. Nice pics.

Anthony

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:14:27 PM »
Another example of a wonderful short par 4.  Great ground movement there!

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
The left fairway bunkers were probably placed so that players could not run shots off the hillside back into the faiway and end up in a prime approach area.  The safeest play results in a 125 shot.  The pinched are is 90-80 yards--prime full L wedge distance.  The fairway widens after this to give a pretty tough half shot if you do not get close enough to the green on the right.In front of the right fairway bunker is a very good approach angle.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:23:02 PM »
Robert,

Many thanks. That makes sense.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »
Robert,

I have always wanted to see and play Wheatley Hills; my mother grew up about 5 minutes from there back down closer to GCGC, and my grandmother still lives there.  I pass it frequently on the Parkway. 

My impression of the bunkering is that it's a little much, too 'finger-y' in comparison to other Emmet I have seen, but, I am not a member, it's only my opinion.  How about you?

Is there work ongoing currently? 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Bill Hyde

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:27:23 AM »
Beautiful hole. Short and sweet.

Having played only one Emmet course (GC) I agree it's not evocative of what's found there. It looks a lot like the bunkering at Ross' Scioto that was also done by H/F. I am guessing it's more their interpretation of the era rather than an exact restoration. Regardless, I personally like it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:34:52 AM by Bill Hyde »

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »
I thought I would just throw this on this Devereaux Emmet thread.

It seems to me that Devereaux Emmet is one of those really good old golf architects about which not all that much is known today about him personally (I guess he just didn't write that much himself on golf architecture compared to the others of his contemporaries). If much is known about him personally I wonder why I've gotten so many questions and requests about him from people trying to do research on the man?

In this vein, I hope I might get lucky with something perhaps heretofore unknown or unresearched on the man. I was just up around Lake Champlain for the funeral of my half brother's (and third cousin) wife. We spent two nights at my half brother's half sister's place.

During those two days she happened to ask me about my interest in golf architecture and in the course of the conversation she mentioned Devereaux Emmet which I thought pretty strange since she doesn't play golf and doesn't know anything about golf architecture.

Then the next morning I realized I hadn't thought that her maiden name is Daphne Emmet. Her farther's (Winthrop "Winty" Emmet) uncle was Devereaux Emmet! And so I asked her if she had any idea who in the family may really know something about Devereaux Emmet or even perhaps be in possession of some of his papers or whatever. TO THAT she said she very well may be able to come up with some pretty potential candidates.

Let's hope so as he sure seemed to be a most interesting man from a most interesting world and time.

In that same kind of vein I may be running down a potential lead on hopefully a massive store of family papers on Herbert Leeds' family.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:53:32 PM by TEPaul »

Robert Emmons

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
That would be very interesting Tom, Thx.Next time your in the area come and visit Huntington CC...RHE

Ronald Montesano

Re: A great Devereaux Emmet short hole
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
Aghast, I am, that all we can muster is "great" or "beautiful" to describe this hole.  It seems to me to be brilliant in its simplicity and challenge.  Play it over the dangerous right bunker and arrive at the perfect angle in; play safely left and reach fairway, but deal with the left greenside bunker.

The one thing your pictures don't tell us concerns the undulations/pitch of the putting surface.  If it is complex, then this is beyond a great hole, but one that any architect ought to study and replicate.  Any photos of the green contours?

Mr. Baited Breath
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back