News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: Get to know Mike Young (starts Thurs., 9/10)
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
When is that book on small town courses, potential hidden gems, coming out?

I love finding these courses.  Have you played Country Club of Columbus recently?  I was fortunate enough to play it awhile back...wow!!!  And no one talks about it!  Or any courses like that for that matter.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
Mike

Can you give us a hint to what your book will be about?

Eric,
I am actually working on two...one has been in the works for a couple of years....it is a database of small town courses that no one hears about yet they are a joy to play.....I have asked turf equipment reps from each state, irrigation reps, Titleist Salesmen, clubcar salesmen and a few others to send me their favorites that they call on in their territories....I have a lady putting them in a database and then I hope to compile by State....with a small description......hopefully guys can use it as they travel.....

The second is sort of one of those "for dummies" books....
It is a quick study of everything a grren committee person would need to know in a down a dirty, no BS way....and has a few chapters of stories form a redneck golf architect....

Send me an email and can tell more.....I don't want to bring this thread back up much anymore ....it is Brian Phillips Q and A time....beat him up for awhile ;D ;D ;D

Eric,

I enjoyed Victoria National with you.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2009, 12:08:33 PM »

Mike,

I like a design that punishes the long hitter, what is the name of your dog?

Why are some holes called "dog legs"?

Have you ever put a water fall on one of your courses?

For safety reasons,should ball washers be lowerd?

Are you jealous because people like Bill McBride more than you?

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »

Mike,

I like a design that punishes the long hitter, what is the name of your dog?
Wilson is my dog...named after the volleyball on Castaways...

Why are some holes called "dog legs"?
When ODG's were layng out many of the original great golf holes they would have their dog with them....after walking several hundred yards the dog would usually stop for a minute and raise his leg.....when he would start back up it was almost always at a slight angle to where he had just peed so that the scent was not picked up in the wind...therefore these holes with angles in the turn became known as doglegs

Have you ever put a water fall on one of your courses?
I have built a hole near a crick where a water fall already existed....

For safety reasons,should ball washers be lowerd?
That is an excellent idea but a good solid bench works well also.....

Are you jealous because people like Bill McBride more than you?
Of course....when I first met Bill he was in a mellow yellow leisure suit at a cake decorators convention and I was in the same hotel....I realized immediately I could not compete so I moved on.....

Anthony

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
Mike,

If I am not mistaken you have played golf with some famous rock stars right? Could you give us your best Rock Star golf story?

Mike_Young

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
Mike,

If I am not mistaken you have played golf with some famous rock stars right? Could you give us your best Rock Star golf story?

Gee....we have a lot of rock guys in Athens that play golf and they are always bringing someone into town....but I can't think of anything really standing out....
I guess the funniest thing I can recall was when charlie Rymer was playing in the Chattanoga Nationwide and and another pro bob Wolcott was also there....Charlie is good friends with Vince Gill and Vince has caddied for Bob several times....well VG and I caddy all day and they say they will take us to dinner....it was hot and we are tired...we go to a Popeye's Chicken place and get a large bucket with rice and biscuits....here we are in line getting chicken and no a soul recognizes Gill but about 10 of those rednecks had to speak to Rymer.....and the entire time VG is standing next to him looking at them and they have no clue....sorry that's all I can think of....

Bob Barriger

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Mike. I spent a few minutes with you recently at Wolf Run in Zionsville, IN. How was your trip thru the midwest and will you comment on some of the courses you played and saw.  I didn't realize you were so worldly before this post. Hopefully hook up with you next spring on my way to the Masters, I kept your business card.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »

This thread has the most passion since the Merion ones. I think it is going to 100 pages easy.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »

Mike,

My father put diesel in my SUV. It cost me $3200. Is a cat scan an appropiate xmass present?

How many people do you have on staff?

Will your designs be valued more once you die?

It looks like I may make the Dixie Cup any suggestions?

Anthony

JC Jones

« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »

Mike,

My father put diesel in my SUV. It cost me $3200. Is a cat scan an appropiate xmass present?

Anthony

Please wear a shirt.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

tlavin

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »
I thought we already "got to know" this redneck!   ;D ;D ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »

Mike,

I attended my first Dixie Cup, Nobody threw-up. Should I be disapointed?

Georgia Tech going for it on fourth down at key times saturday, Are you going to their bowl game thgis year?

Trivia: What GT player holds the NBA record for free throw %?

Who came up with the name Longshadow and why?

Thjanks........Anthony

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:13:19 AM by Anthony Gray »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »

Mike,

Georgia Tech going for it on fourth down at key times saturday, Are you going to their bowl game thgis year?

Thjanks........Anthony

Don't know what happened. These questions are for post Dixie Cup.

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
From Anthony Gray

Mike,

HOW WOULD PUTTING YOUR CAT IN A SCANNER HELP THE SITUATION?

MY SON/ PART TIME

HELL IF I KNOW....

YES, DON'T WEAR ORANGE...YOU MAY LOOKL LIKE A BIG DREAMSICKLE....WHICH MEANS IN THAT GROUP YOU COULD GET LICKED

Anthony
 Mike,

I WAS TOLD SOMEONE DID THROW UP.....CHECK THE SMALL POCKET ON THE SIDE OF YOUR BAG

HE IS A HELL OF A COACH......I NEVER KNOW IF I AM GOING TO BOWL GAME SOR NOT.....LOTS OF WEIRDOS WEARING KNICKERS ETC AT THOSE THINGS...

I WOULD GUESS MARK PRICE...WHO IS NOW COACHING IN ATL

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU ARE THINKING.....IT WAS THE SHADOWS THE BUNKERS CAST

Thjanks........Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »

Mike,

Thanks again. More next monday. No better way to start the week.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »
Mike, I hope we get some better news about Longshadow in the near future.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »
Mike,

Can you tell me more about Wolf Creek in Atlanta, as I have mentioned before I really enjoy the golf course; I think it has some great holes and it is tons of fun to play.  The back to front pitch of the 7th green is wild, I have seen people putt off the green from 6 feet; I really like 12 and 14 as well, I remember you once said you thought there were to many blind shots.  I think all the greens are fun with lots of interesting internal conture and pitch.

Can you tell more about how that course came to be?  I would think it still does very well, if it doesn't then courses just can't make money.  It is always packed.

In regards to overseeding why is it done in September or early October when the Bermuda is still good, could it be done in mid November or even early December?

When routing a golf course where do you begin; with the clubhouse, a spot you will think would make a great green site, wherever you can park your car....how does that work?

Do you ever get a job where an owner just says have at it?  This is the land do what you want, this is how much money I have?

When desiging a par 5 that you intend to be a 3 shot hole what kind of strategies do you use?  (If that makes sense)

I know you have played Atlanta Country Club, what is your favorite Par 3, Par 4, and Par 5 on it and why?

What is your favorite Par 3, Par 4, and Par 5 at Wolf Creek and why?

When design a course how long do you spend on the site?

What are your comments on this statement
"80% of how "good" a golf course is has to do with how much money is spent to maintain it after it has been built; if Pebble, Cypress, Pine Valley were maintained at the level of your local muni then they wouldn't be on any "list", the architect can only give you the body of the car, the membership, the owner, the city....have to build the engine"?

What role do professional golfers typically play in golf courses they design?  Do they just put the routing down and then let the staff do the rest?  Can you visit a site once and then route the course?  If you could or did would you consider that designing the course?

I am asking all these simply because I do not know the answers, I have no expierence with GCA or anything related to Arch, I am simply curious as to how it works. I know next to nothing as to what makes a golf course good, I am now at the knowledge level of "next to nothing" because of GCA, before then I just knew nothing.

Thanks for any answers you give.

Want to trade Paul Johnson for Mark Richt? ;)

When were you at Tech?  

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:13:23 PM by Kenny Baer »

Mike_Young

« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2009, 11:32:39 PM »
Mike,

Can you tell me more about Wolf Creek in Atlanta, as I have mentioned before I really enjoy the golf course; I think it has some great holes and it is tons of fun to play.  The back to front pitch of the 7th green is wild, I have seen people putt off the green from 6 feet; I really like 12 and 14 as well, I remember you once said you thought there were to many blind shots.  I think all the greens are fun with lots of interesting internal conture and pitch.  WE BUILT WOLF CREEK FOR AROUND 2.3 MILL....THE LAND WAS GIVEN BY THE DEVELOPER TO TWO GUYS WHO WERE HVAC ENGINEERS FROM GT....THEY HAVE DONE FAIRLY WELL WITH IT....

Can you tell more about how that course came to be?  I would think it still does very well, if it doesn't then courses just can't make money.  It is always packed.   THE SUPT IS GOOD....REALLY DOES A LOT WITH THE BUDGET HE HAS.....AND THEY DO WELL...NOW HAVE A NEW SMALL CLUBHOUSE

In regards to overseeding why is it done in September or early October when the Bermuda is still good, could it be done in mid November or even early December?   I DON'T KNOW.....

When routing a golf course where do you begin; with the clubhouse, a spot you will think would make a great green site, wherever you can park your car....how does that work?  OF COURSE YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT STIPULATIONS ONE HAS...SUCH AS CLUBHOUSE LOCATION ...THEN EVERYONE DOES IT DIFFERENTLY...TRY TO HAVE GOOD LAOCATION FOR 9 AND 18 GREENS AS WELL AS 1 AND 10 TEES SO AS TO SET UP THE HUB...BUT HELL I DO IT DIFFERENTLY EACH TIME

Do you ever get a job where an owner just says have at it?  This is the land do what you want, this is how much money I have?  ONE TIME

When desiging a par 5 that you intend to be a 3 shot hole what kind of strategies do you use?  (If that makes sense)IT VARIES BUT DON'T ALLOW THE SECOND SHOT TO BE A GIMME

I know you have played Atlanta Country Club, what is your favorite Par 3, Par 4, and Par 5 on it and why? PAR THREE WOULD BE #6/ PAR 4 WOULD BE #12 AND PAR 5 WOULD BE #8

What is your favorite Par 3, Par 4, and Par 5 at Wolf Creek and why? PA3 WOULD BE #11/ PAR 5 WOULD BE #1 AND PAR 4 WOULD BE #6......AND REALLY DON'T KNOW WHY...JUST FIT MY EYE

When design a course how long do you spend on the site?  AS LONG AS NEEDED..AT LEAST 4 DAYS THEN THERE AT LEAST TWO PER WEEK DURING CONSTRUCTION

What are your comments on this statement
"80% of how "good" a golf course is has to do with how much money is spent to maintain it after it has been built; if Pebble, Cypress, Pine Valley were maintained at the level of your local muni then they wouldn't be on any "list", the architect can only give you the body of the car, the membership, the owner, the city....have to build the engine"? PERCEPTION IS REALITY ;D

What role do professional golfers typically play in golf courses they design?  Do they just put the routing down and then let the staff do the rest? NOT MANY CAN ROUTE A COURSE....PLUS THAT IS THE MOST CRITICAL PART Can you visit a site once and then route the course?  SOMETIMES IF GOOD TOPO MAP.....CAN DO IT WITHOUT VISIT IF GOOD MAP..OR AT LEAST AN INITIAL STARTIf you could or did would you consider that designing the course?  ITS LIKE BUILDING A PIECE OF FURNITURE....YOU GOT TO DESIGN IT/CUT IT/PREPARE T AND PUT THE FINISH ON IT....BUT THE ROUTING IS THE BONES....I DON'T CONSIDER ANYTHING DESIGNING A COURSE IF THEY DID NOT DO THE ROUTING

I am asking all these simply because I do not know the answers, I have no expierence with GCA or anything related to Arch, I am simply curious as to how it works. I know next to nothing as to what makes a golf course good, I am now at the knowledge level of "next to nothing" because of GCA, before then I just knew nothing.  YOUR LIKE MOST OF US.....THIS AINT ROCKET SCIENCE

Thanks for any answers you give.

Want to trade Paul Johnson for Mark Richt? ;)  PAUL JOHNSON IS THE MAN

When were you at Tech?  
I JUST TOOK SOME TRANSIENT COURSES THERE IN THE MID SEVENTIES....I WENT TO ABOUT 5 SCHOOLS W/O MUCH IMPACT ON ANY OF THEM ;D   BUT I AM A TECH FAN

Anthony Gray

« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2009, 05:20:48 PM »

Mike,

If someone puked on you, would you like to have him at one of your courses in Central America?

What would be a good book for the first time aficionado of GCA?

Have you been to Fogo De Chao?

Do have black underwear?

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »

YOU REALLY LIKE THIS THREAD DON'T YOU AG?
  Mike,

If someone puked on you, would you like to have him at one of your courses in Central America?
WHERE IS PUKE BOY..BAD CRAB CAKES....I HAVE NOT HEAR FROM HIM N OVER A YEAR

What would be a good book for the first time aficionado of GCA?
ANATOMY OF A GOLF COURSE IS A N EASY READ....THEN GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTURE IN AMERICA BY THOMAS

Have you been to Fogo De Chao?
YEP...BOTH IN SAO PAULO AND ATL.....YOU WOULD LIKE THE LITTLE GAUCHO OUTFITS....

Do have black underwear?
WHY WOULD I TELL YOU THAT AND WHAT WOULD I GAIN BY DOING SO?
NOW RYMER AND I DO HAVE A LINE OF UNDERARMOR TYPE UNDERWWEAR FOR FAT GUYS THAT WE HAD DESIGNED WITH A YELLOW ANTIMICROBIAL POUCH AND A LITE TAN COLR BODY..IT ONLY COMES IN THAT COLOR AND WE CALL THAT FUDGE.....IT IS IN THE FaTass line of clothing.....

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:54 PM »

MIKE,

Tonight I am watching a program on sperm whales, They mate at the equator. Have you seen any?

Do you think they are embarrased by their name?

If I traveled to the equator, woukld i be wrong to expect somme mating?

How close to the equator is one of your courses?

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »

Mike,

It is 12:15 and I am trying to get my 2 year old to bed for the fifth time, How many par 5's on a course should be reachable?

Have you ever designed a course that opened with a par 3?

My wife is giving me that look, Should I act like I am asleep?

Winter is approaching in the south, Are Varsity dogs overratted?

Thanks...Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »

Mike,

It is 12:15 and I am trying to get my 2 year old to bed for the fifth time, How many par 5's on a course should be reachable?
REACHABLE WITH WHICH SHOT?

Have you ever designed a course that opened with a par 3?
NO

My wife is giving me that look, Should I act like I am asleep?
I THINK YOU MUST BE.....AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOUR WIFE

Winter is approaching in the south, Are Varsity dogs overratted?
NO....

Thanks...Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »

Mike,

You recently took a long train trip...How many miles?

Was it romantic?

Would you do it again?

How many Johnny Cash CD's do you own?

What does an architect do on his day off?

Thanks ...... Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »

Mike,

Joe Hancocks thread just hit 3 pages, Do you feel threatend?

I passed the Norteast and Southeast regional boards and can practice in several states. Were the NSGCA (Nicaraguan Sociert of Golf Course Architects) Boards of Nicaragua difficult? It must have been a challange answering those question in spanish?

You built a course over 20 years and have returned to tweek the bunkers. What is the name of the course again?

Which firm have you hired to assist you on the project?

Who do you like for The Heisman?

Thanks....Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back