News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Urban community putting green (Marina district, San Francisco)
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
I'd heard about the putting greens in the Marina for a while but had never seen them until last night. For those not familiar with SF, the Marina is a dense residential community and one of the more desirable areas in the city for young professionals.

In the middle of the Marina is a community center with a gym, a few baseball fields, a library, and...two putting greens. (Google map: http://tinyurl.com/nfsgzj).

There are two greens. They are surprisingly large - one is maybe 6,000-7,000sqf, the other maybe 2,000 - in a beautiful setting, and in such terrible condition as to be basically unusable (which is not a surprise). There are also nets with mats, also basically unusable. Pictures from last night:

It's self-interested, of course, but I think these greens could be really neat if it were nice, and a great thing for this neighborhood. It got me thinking: is this possible?

Is it feasible for the guy who mows the baseball field once a week to somehow maintain a high quality putting green?

Could private donations be gathered to install a high-quality artificial green that the city wouldn't have to worry about maintaining?

Could the city offset enough of the costs through event rentals, to help justify putting in some money?

Does a green like this exist in any other big American cities? Are any of them really great?

Mike Benham

Re: Urban community putting green (Marina district, San Francisco)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:34:17 AM »

It might be easier to change the sign ...

"No Putting - Chipping Only"
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
For perspective, they were unusable 20 years ago as well...I lived across from the park.  Typical SF.

Growing up out in the western city, there were putting greens at Stern Grove that we used all the time.  But that was pre-Prop 13 so the city's coffers were full.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:01:48 AM »
A great idea, but on-going maintenance nightmare.  However, an artificial green could be a nice park and rec addition that might be within the budget range of municipalities. 

Of course we all know about the other Tori Pines in Hollywood.  Those greens were actually marginably puttable.  I've seen worse.

Our local Italian club got the city of Green Bay to build bocce courts to specs with crushed brick clay surface that work very well.  In fact after a couple years of popularity at the one park they built them, they put them in a second park, and they have city rec leagues and even put the team bocce scores in the paper. 

I don't see why an artificial 10-15K sqft multi hole putting course green couldn't be a key part of muni rec program, and even offer putting leagues. 

But, real turf may be much too hard for a rec and park maintenance dept., to handle.  Way too technical, labor intensive, and constant conditioning equipment maintenance and chem-fert application dependent.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
   Looks like they have the landscape contractor taking care of the greens along with everything else.  This will never do for the typical grass cutting, and mulching landscaper.  You can find a company that may already be taking care of an estate green or something similar.  They are normally set up and prepared to take care of a green properly.   If not the artificial option is a good one if you can afford a nice installation.  You still need to brush and roll them once in awhile.  It's rare to see the proper level of maintenance in these situations.

David Schofield

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
It's a bit of a "which came first, a chicken or an egg" scenario.  They aren't going to spend money on it when no one is using it (look how many people are using the playground, basketball courts, etc, on the aerial image but there's only one person on the putting green) but no one will use it until they spend money on it.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:16:39 AM »
There is a putting green like this in Dallas.  It is in an area called the Village off of Northwest Highway & 75.  There is a community center, swimming pool, 10 tennis courts, soccer fields, volleyball courts and putting green that is about 4000 SF.  The putting green is in okay condition and it probably rolls at about a 5 or 6. 

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »
Would it be possible to enlist the aid of the private and public clubs in SF to help out. Say if 14 of them got together to "give something back to the city" and sent one of their men over with a mower twice a month. A few hours including travel time might go a long way in finding helpful ears when needed...

In addition, with the greens in good condition, maybe the "First tee" program could use it for monthly putting lessons, etc...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 09:59:42 AM by Philip Young »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »
Would it be possible to enlist the aid of the private and public clubs in SF to help out. Say if 14 of them got together to "give something back to the city" and sent one of their men over with a mower twice a month. A few hours including travel time might go a long way in finding helpful ears when needed...

Phillip,

I think thats the problem, it looks like they only mow that green twice per month as it is.....  ;)

To me its hard not to be jaded when it comes to "public golf" + "San Francisco".  When they continue to get it wrong, again and again and again, its hard to be hopeful.  I'm only left to conclude that its willful and purposeful neglect because the city and surrounding areas are full of capable and very intelligent people.

Chris Buie

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »
How about a free public sand green?
http://www.tuftsarchives.org/2008/10/sand-green/
And they have hickory clubs for you to use as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
That's a tragedy indeed.    In 1969-1978 I worked in the City and killed time occasionally by working on my putting stroke on the big green.  The green was very smooth, probably rolled 7-8, and was an excellent place to work on your stroke as there was absolutely no contour.  The green is pretty much dead flat although there might be something like 1/2% slope just to get run off.

The City of San Francisco doesn't seem to get too much right when it comes to golf.   >:( >:(

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
There is a putting green like this in Dallas.  It is in an area called the Village off of Northwest Highway & 75.  There is a community center, swimming pool, 10 tennis courts, soccer fields, volleyball courts and putting green that is about 4000 SF.  The putting green is in okay condition and it probably rolls at about a 5 or 6. 

In 1983-84 I lived among the Village People.  The Village was the Ellis Island for yuppie immigrants.  You might be surprised to know that the development once featured a regulation 9 hole golf course whose features were still detectable during my tenancy on the then vacant land behind the clubhouse.  The Boardwalk Beach Club, Herrera's Mexican Cafe, Campisi's Egyptian Room and The Fast & Cool Club were my regular haunts back in those days. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Yost

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
I'd heard about the putting greens in the Marina for a while but had never seen them until last night. For those not familiar with SF, the Marina is a dense residential community and one of the more desirable areas in the city for young professionals.

In the middle of the Marina is a community center with a gym, a few baseball fields, a library, and...two putting greens. (Google map: http://tinyurl.com/nfsgzj).

There are two greens. They are surprisingly large - one is maybe 6,000-7,000sqf, the other maybe 2,000 - in a beautiful setting, and in such terrible condition as to be basically unusable (which is not a surprise). There are also nets with mats, also basically unusable.
It's self-interested, of course, but I think these greens could be really neat if it were nice, and a great thing for this neighborhood. It got me thinking: is this possible?

The area should be reclaimed and used for much needed Tai Chi space.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

There are two greens. They are surprisingly large - one is maybe 6,000-7,000sqf, the other maybe 2,000 - in a beautiful setting, and in such terrible condition as to be basically unusable (which is not a surprise). There are also nets with mats, also basically unusable.

The area should be reclaimed and used for much needed Tai Chi space.

There is actually a large tai chi contingent every morning in Washington Square in North Beach, opposite Sts Peter and Paul Cathedral.  My wife and I stayed in a lovely boutique hotel at the top of the square.  In the NW corner every morning, there were about 50 Asian women with red fans practicing synchronized tai chi.  In the opposite corner there were even more, line dancing to "Achy Breaky Heart."  It was all very athletic.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15:35 PM »
I lived a few blocks (Toledo Way) from those putting greens 30+ years ago and I never saw McBride there.  Of course, I probably never knew they were there, in that they were on the way to and from the Marina Safeway, in which more imporatnt games were being played.....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
I lived a few blocks (Toledo Way) from those putting greens 30+ years ago and I never saw McBride there.  Of course, I probably never knew they were there, in that they were on the way to and from the Marina Safeway, in which more imporatnt games were being played.....

I was thinner then.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back