News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re: I Want to be This Guy
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
Somehow they get 18 out of it:

Why not call it a 27- or 36-hole facility while they're embelishing?

I think they said it is rated as an 18 hole course.  It shows a USGA course rating and slope.  Doesn't sound like anything has been embellished.

David Schofield

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »
John, aside from 8/17, the rest of the course is clearly played twice around a 9 hole "loop". 

Scott Warren

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
Or at least have his/her house.

Just saw this looking at some courses on Google.

Where is it?

Has anyone played it?

He gets bonus points for the "cock and balls" bunker in the top right!

Bruce Katona

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »
Think of the "initiation fee" to buy into the equity club !!!  How about the annual dues and year-end assessments !!

Jed Peters

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »
FYI, for people searching the google....my photo was taken from another area close to that mega mansion....

Damon Groves

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
What is it with Rees Jones and those little "dot" bunkers. How in the hell did he get in so good with the USGA? How many courses will they let him ruin?
[/qu

Damon,

Please advise me of the courses that Rees Jones has ruined together with hole numbers etc.

Bob

Torrey Pines South to name one. He has narrowed it up so much that you only have one option. Hit is dead straight. By doing so he took out what strategic elements were there.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 09:01:42 PM »
What is it with Rees Jones and those little "dot" bunkers. How in the hell did he get in so good with the USGA? How many courses will they let him ruin?
[/qu

Damon,

Please advise me of the courses that Rees Jones has ruined together with hole numbers etc.

Bob

Torrey Pines South to name one. He has narrowed it up so much that you only have one option. Hit is dead straight. By doing so he took out what strategic elements were there.

Damon,

I'm not sure whether you played Torrey Pines prior to the Reesdesign, but there were never any left/right strategic options to that course to begin with. I disagree with your statement because, having played the old version of the course hundreds of times, I can't recall ever aiming anywhere except down the middle!

Damon Groves

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 12:36:11 AM »
[/qu

Damon,

Bob

Damon,

I'm not sure whether you played Torrey Pines prior to the Reesdesign, but there were never any left/right strategic options to that course to begin with. I disagree with your statement because, having played the old version of the course hundreds of times, I can't recall ever aiming anywhere except down the middle!

Matt -

Yes I did play Torrey before Rees got a hold of it and while the fairways were relatively narrow you did not have bunkers on both side of the fairway and at least had the option of playing the non bunker side of the fairway. By adding the bunkers to both sides like on holes 1, 2, 9, 10, 12, and 18 Rees narrowed the available safe landing area and it now allows for only one shot off the tee...dead straight. 

Clearly you are a fan of Rees and seem to like his Penal School ideas so enjoy Torrey as it is simply a course now that is not enjoyable for me. Think of it as one less person you have to fight for a tee time. Enjoy.

Damon.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 01:48:25 PM »

Damon,

Matt -

Clearly you are a fan of Rees and seem to like his Penal School ideas.... Enjoy.

Damon.

Not to get off topic here but....what???

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:29 AM »

The course in the drawing happens to be a very good golf course. Cleverly routed-it's a real golf course with a lot of options and fun.
18 holes is a slight stretch (it's 9 solid holes)you play to different flags with a few different tees the second go round.
Perfectly conditioned-it passes the fun test as we went right back to the 1st tee three times last Tuesday.

The aeriel photo is not the same course
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Damon Groves

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
Matt -

Bob clearly disagreed with my statement of Rees Jones ruining courses as the "Open Doctor" and wanted to know a course and the holes that he had ruined. I pointed out Torrey Pines and the holes and my issues with what he had done to the course taking it away from what strategic elements were there to a more penal design.

Damon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back