News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re: The "New" Bayonet GC - Fort Ord, CA
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
Adam

'julius' wrote a review of Capital GC in Melbourne, which was linked to from here on GCA recently.  The previous poster (David Elvins) would know of it (and he isn't Julius).  The write-up was polite (well, humorous), but pointed out quite clearly the deficiencies.

sorry for my cryptic comment.

I might see what else scott dunlap has said, elsewhere.

And, I did visit Fort Ord in 2006... Understanding the military influences expains a lot.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jim Jackson

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »
While spending a few days recently playing the world's greatest golf course, I snuck out for an afternoon at the "new and improved" Bayonet and Black Horse complex in Seaside, Ca.  To piggyback on what's been written already, I'd played around 10 years ago, prior to renovation, and remembered quirky, overgrown, difficult tracks with patchy conditioning.  For those who do not know of these courses, they were designed on the site of the former Fort Ord, by one of its' Generals, who apparently was a budding architect and, from what I recalled, clearly hit a big hook.

Gene Bates was asked to redo the courses a few years ago, with plans to transform and open up/regrass the courses, soften some of the quirk (blind tee shots, sharp doglegs) and to bring a housing/academy component and from what I understand to bring the daily fee to the $200 range.   

My take on the remodel:  big time whiff.  The site is fantastic, rolling, lined with mature cypress and pine, and routed within what was originally the dunes of Seaside, and has views of the bay on a number of holes.  They've tried to bring a housing component inbetween holes (ouch!), and in doing so, the terrain is exposed and is awesome.  Holes seem so easy to identify within these sandy corridors.

The good:  $59 to walk.  I finished 18 holes walking in under 3 hours.  Great looking range/practice complex. Above average conditioning.  Some of the quirk left i.e. the stretch from 11-13.  Nice bay views.  Nice patio out back to enjoy a beer afterward. 

The bad: homogenous, predictable bunkering.  I did not play the Black Horse course, but some of its' mowing lines were awful and bunkering looked waaay overdone.  Greens with lots of predictable, overdone internal contours.

The end game:  Fun, and an affordable taste of MP golf.  But in the big scheme, a big whiff.  In the land, I see a Wild Horse or Mid Pines-type course that could easily compete with its famous neighbors.  Opportunity lost.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
For those who do not know of these courses, they were designed on the site of the former Fort Ord, by one of its' Generals, who apparently was a budding architect and, from what I recalled, clearly hit a big hook.

Actually, he was a slicer. But he played left-handed. ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Pat Burke

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2015, 04:11:06 AM »
BUMP

Interesting.  I looked up the "new" Bayonet" due to the Champion's Tour qualifier being there next week.
I was trying to figure out the changes to a course that I had played at least 40 times in its' previous, quirky
state.
Sometimes you just hope it's not as bad as you hear.  I loved the craziness that was the old Ft Ord.  It was too tight,
too penal, and the turf was always soupy, but I just liked it.  While it was against the desire for width, it DID challenge you
to plan out shots, and put the ball in the correct spot to survive.  The photos of the new version just look blah to me.
When I used to drive onto the base, I would sometimes drive around the back side, away from the ocean.  There is rolling, sandy land with scrub, that always looked to me to be ready for a "sand Belt" group of courses.

Thinking about the land and what they have now could be one of our country's great missed golf opportunities.  IF they were going to dismantle the quirk, they really should have gone with a team with experience and talent to work that beautiful sandy site into something special, instead of something

Tim Leahy

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2015, 10:10:23 PM »
Those dunes are untouchable not only due to the Coastal Com. but there is supposed to be millions of unexploded rounds burried all over them.
You will find the new Bayo/BH longer with sometimes brutal undulating greens.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:40:46 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pat Burke

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »
Tim
Understood, was more commenting on the site that Bayonet/Blackhorse sit on.
If ever a property could present greatness, it is there.  IMO, a shame they changed a weird quirky course
into a shiny bauble, when if "new" was the goal, they MIGHT have had something beyond belief...

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »
I'm still shocked that Gene Bates would receive such a high profile job.  He's either a master sales person or won the job on being the cheapest.  If I recall, the budget was $9 million for both courses.

It all illustrates the contractor as amateur shapers which is one of the underlying problems.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2015, 07:48:53 PM »
There was supposed to be a highrise hotel built where the old driving range was located that never went up. So they may have run out of financing.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pat Burke

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »
So I played Tuesday, and didn't play well.  Played two practice rounds, and was really disappointed in the new Bayonet.
Lots of tree removal, except on number 2 which was always the narrowest of all the holes.
Bates must have been paid by the bunker.  There are bunkers strewn all over.  The course is still very tight, even with fewer trees, and the bunkers further tighten many landing areas on tee shots.  Most of the bunkers are very hard to recover from.  I cannot imagine the average golfer's struggles.  Wasn't a fan of the green designs either, thought he old course had a few nearly unplayable greens.
tee shots
1) left bunker forced players to right.  Leaves a bit of an awkward second
3) left bunker but if you go right tree can block approach.  For me a forced layup short of bunker
7) bunker that is a forced carry Down wind no problem, into a wind I have no idea where I would hit it
8 bunker short left and long right off tee.  Fairway contour also has created horrible turf conditions in landing areas
9 bunker left trees block right  (actually like this tee shot)  There is some width relative to rest of course on this LONG hole
10 bunker short left and long right.  I hit it over left bunker but it kicked in rough both times. 
11 bunker left and long right.  New fairway that is a mud bog.
12 bunker short left and long right.  Tee shot on this long par 4 is like a par three shot.  Carry first bunker, stop before second.
     I could not hit the right side of the green and hold it.
13 bunker short right and long left (variety)  Worst tee shot on course.  If you did fit it in the 10 yard area, ball rolled in to a drain            area and a divot festival.  Was going to lay up here until lift/clean/clean place allowed the option.
15 trees left bunker right   Overall ok, but I liked the old 15 much better.
16    bunker short right long left
On  tight corridors, bunkers are thrown around making things even tighter, necessitating a lot of layups

Turf conditions were awful.  Thin but soft-to muddy underneath the thin/tight lies

With the amount of dramatic changes made, it's a disappointment.  WOuld have been fun to see what Tom, Coore, Gil could have created here

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back