News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Par 3 openers
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
Jeff:

Boat of Garten in the Scottish Highlands might be distinct among courses with par 3 openers in that I think the hole might be the least distinguished on the course. It's not an awful par 3, but rather mundane for what follows, which is a bunch of very good holes laid out by Braid over some really interesting terrain. Great variety of par 4s there.

Phil,

I have to disagree in that compared to the rest of the course the 1st at Boat of Garten is dire. It used to be pretty bland until the redesign which made it much worse. I usually play the Boat at least once a year as it is a great course but I usually skip the 1st which definitely enhances the golfing experience.

Marty,

the first at Kilspindie is a gentle introduction to a gem of a course.

Jon

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 12:05:55 PM »
Green Spring Valley Hunt Club, just outside of Baltimore has bookend par 3s ... starts with a medium length par 3 and ends with a postage stamp par 3 on #18.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »
Just played York Golf and Tennis in York, ME which opens with a 216 yard par three with a road down the left side and out of bounds less than 6 feet left of the green. Mt. Washington used to open with a three but that has been changed.

Southport and Ainsdale is my favorite par three opener.

York Golf and Tennis is where I learned to play golf.  Although I have great memories of the course, the opening hole par 3 leaves me with no good memories.  I despised that opening hole.  There is also hazard right.  Without the road and OB I think it would be a much better opening hole.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
I have read somewhere that a par 3 opener significantly reduces the number of groups you can start on a busy day.  I am guessing it is unlikely you will see too many par 3 openers on new regulation courses.
Generally it is a bad idea as you tend to need 11 or 12 minute intervals, so a lot less £££. The upside is the course is less crowded. Only once did a par 3 start 1st on The Stranahan, because of the possible time problem, we actually went very short  (104 yards) and for an island green, you are either on the green/apron or in the water really and we keep the 8 minute tee times okay. The real no-no is probably a 200 yarder, though if you have a call through rule it could probably be ok.

Adrian,

I don't really like the idea of a par three to start. However, what might be bad from a financial point of view, might be enjoyable for the golfers by spreading out play.
Tim Weiman

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:12 AM »
Oakwoods CC in Wilkesboro NC starts w a par three and finishes with a par three. First is a drop shot and 18 a long finisher- a metal wood or strong hybrid for most mortals.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Puerta de Hierro, in Madrid (Colt) has both of its 18 hole courses start with a par 3. Both are in the range of 200 yards.

Our experience is that it works wonders for pace of play as we don't have the typical hold-ups that happen in most courses when you reach the first par 3. Both greens can be seen from the putting green near the clubhouse and the terrace in the restaurant, which also adds a more interesting view to people putting or having a drink.

Sam Krume

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »
As already mentioned on here, The Add starts with a par 3 start to get you going but you can also find another Abercromby course with an up hill start, quite similar but a tad longer(190 of the whites) but nicer me thinks and that is at Knole Park Golf Club. lovely track in a 1000 acre deer park..love the Knole

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back