News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Wolfert's Roost ( 9 by Tillinghast) Albany NY
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
This course, north of  NY Capitol building, was redesigned by Tillinghast  in  the 1920s. Has anyone played 18 holes at  Wolferts. Do vestiges of Tilly's   input  still shine through?

thanks

Scott Witter

Re: Wolfert's Roost ( 9 by Tillinghast) Albany NY
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »
Mark:

I lived near by during the late 80's and early 90's and played Wolferts many times.  As a matter of fact one day when I was touring the course with the superintendent (Bill Stevens I believe) and who is still the super currently was saw THE Mr. Doak, who was then out there stratching for work like I am now, playing the course with a small group of club officials.  Tom was apparently being considered for improvement work, but I don't recall that for certain.

Some years later in the mid to late 90's I believe Steve Kay did a master plan and has since completed a bunker redesign project.  As I recall, one wouldn't call it a classic Tilly by any stretch, but it did  have a few neat Tilly characteristics and his re-routing was still in tact.  I wouldn't go out of my way to play it IMO as I didn't think it was very strong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back