News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Walt Young

Richard Mandell Wins International Book Award
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
For Immediate Release:                          August 15, 2008 (Orlando, Florida)   

Richard Mandell Wins International Book Award

Golf Architect Richard Mandell’s seminal work, Pinehurst ~ Home of American Golf (The Evolution of a Legend) recently won the prestigious International Network of Golf Book of the Year Award.  “Richard created a beautiful book full of incredible information and photographs about one of golf’s most historical places,” declared Mike Jamison, Executive Director of  ING.  “This is a must read for those whose eyes mist when they think of Sandhills golf.”  What makes this accomplishment even more impressive is that Mr. Mandell started his own publishing company, T. Eliot Press, in order to properly tell the story.  “The publishers I spoke to about this book never really gave it the respect that a complete history of Pinehurst should have,” points out Mandell.  “A grand vision for this book had to match the grand subject matter.  We’re talking about Pinehurst.”
   The International Network of Golf is an eighteen-year old non-profit, media-based networking organization whose mission is to enhance and promote communication and education in golf.  For fifteen years, the International Network of Golf has strove to annually recognize the best  in media.  ING winners and outstanding achievers are determined by an independent panel of three judges in each category.  Each judge uses a point system with several criteria overseen by a voluntary category chairperson.   
   Mr. Mandell’s book was a finalist for both Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year Award and the USGA’s Herbert Warren Wind Book Award as well.  “I never imagined the critical success of the book when I started it back in 2003,” says Mandell.  “For my first effort in the publishing arena, I’m very proud and thankful that I could contribute to the world of golf by preserving a history that could easily have been lost.”
   Described as “A nice stroll through history” by one of the judges, Pinehurst ~ Home of American Golf (The Evolution of a Legend), is a detailed account of the evolution of the playing fields of Sandhills golf and how it affected golf in America.  “To me, the history of the area from an architecture and development standpoint is the real story and an education for anyone who loves the history of golf” says Mandell.
   Pinehurst ~ Home of American Golf (The Evolution of a Legend) can be ordered by calling (910) 255-3111 or by visiting www.golf-architecture.com.  Richard Mandell is available for interviews and book signings and should be contacted by phone at (910) 255-3111 or e-mail (richardmandell@golf-architecture.com).
RICHARD WILL BE AVAILABLE ON-SITE THE WEEK OF THE U.S. AMATEUR AT PINEHURST COUNTRY CLUB FOR INTERVIEWS AND OTHER ASSISTANCE.  PLEASE CALL 910-489-1711 FRO ARRANGEMENTS.
   About the Author: Although he is a first-time book author and publisher, Richard Mandell is a practicing golf course architect who has worked on more than forty golf course projects (new and renovations) in his seventeen-year career.  He first moved to Pinehurst after graduating from The University of Georgia to work for golf architect Dan Maples.  Upon returning in 2000, Richard began his own golf design firm, Richard Mandell Golf Architecture.  He has written articles on golf architecture for Golf Illustrated and Links Magazine and has contributed chapters to three books on the subject:  volumes I and II of Golf Architecture (A Worldwide Perspective) and  Favourite Holes By Design:  The Architect’s Choice. 

Greg Krueger

Re: Richard Mandell Wins International Book Award
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »
Congrats Richard, very well deserved!!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »
Wonderful news, Richard!

Sincere congratulations,
jeffmingay.com

BVince

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »
Fantastic news Richard...congrats
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
This book deserves to win everything in sight. The definitive history of America's St. Andrews.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »
Richard:
Congratulations on the attainment of this wonderful accolade, and for converting a kernel of an idea into a successful publication. Hopefully, there’ll be more T. Eliot Press publications to follow.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:12:24 AM »
Well done Richard
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:25:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Lester George

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »
Richard,

Great work.  Congratulations.

Lester

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
Rich,

I'll add my congrats.  I enjoyed the book immensely.  I am sure that's all the recognition you needed, right? ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Gary Slatter

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
This book deserves to win everything in sight. The definitive history of America's St. Andrews.
Dormoch
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jon Heise

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
Very, very well done and very, very well deserved!
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back