GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Lido Golf Course by C.B. Macdonald

(1/14) > >>

Dan King:
I found this article while looking for something else. It is from Golf Illustrated & Outdoor America, 1915 July Vol. 3, Issue 4, pgs. 31-35. I don't know if this article has been discussed before, but it is a pretty cool article:

The Lido Golf Course by C.B. Macdonald.

Cheers,
Dan King

--- Quote ---To write a description of any golf necessitates stating the premise upon which is based the description -- for instance, the undulations and hillocks, the character and placing of the bunkers, the variety of putting greens, each to suit the particular charachter of hole, the quality of turf, the width of the fair green, and the description of the teeing grounds with their proximity to putting greens -- in fact there is so much ground to cover that I can give you only a brief description.
 --C.B. Macdonad (writing on Lido, 1915)
--- End quote ---

Mike Nuzzo:
Thank you Dan.

If you can align the routing on a double page in acrobat the model looks pretty cool - pretty tight too.

I like the Vardon comment about the large majority of American courses lack fairway undulations.  Seems to be more true than ever - with the exception of the favored few here.

I can't imagine the 4th being one of the finest in the world.  Seems like there isn't much choice between the fairways - if you can hit it you go for it...

Jim Nugent:
Are there any photos of the Lido course, after it was finished?  Would really like to see what the holes look like. 

Phil McDade:
Jim:

Daniel Wexler's "Missing Links" has several B/W photos of the Lido.

Dan King:
Some pictures and text about Lido written by Joshua Crane in a 1927 Golf Illustrated article:
Famous American Courses: Lido

No pictures of the golf course in this one, but still interesting:
Lido's New Home Golf Illustrated, by A. C. Gregson. Vol. 29 No. 5, August 1928.

Cheers,
Dan King

--- Quote ---While the views, except where the course borders the beach, are rather flat ad uninteresting, such a contrast to Westard Ho!, for instance, where there is so much picturesque high land surrounding the broad estuary of Barnstaple Bay, yet there is engendered a feeling of the open spaces and freedom to swing the brassie without any fear of coming in contact with trees or houses in the back swing, that enhances so largely the real pleasure of golf.
 --Joshua Crane (on Lido, 1927)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version