News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

PORTHMADOG GC: Back 9 Beauty New
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:09:22 PM »
Like many GB&I courses, Porthmadog began as a 9 holer in 1905. By 1911 it is thought James Braid stopped in to complete an 18 hole course which pushed more into the dunes. Although two holes have long since been lost to the vagaries of weather; both greens can still be seen.  What remains is a course of two halves.  The front covers more parkland terrain which has a tendency to be wet.  The back runs through linksland, some of it terrific stuff which includes the All Wales 12th. 

A short par 4, the 10th is probably reachable in the right conditions.  On the day it was a solid drive and a hooded 7 wood! The lovely rolling terrain is in evidence in this pic. 

On the 11th I was blown into gorse bush!  This goes down as one of the most harsh experiences I have had on a golf course.  After pulling myself out of a gorse bush and letting the hail and wind die down, we proceeded to play the 11th, a good par 3 up the hill and over severe ground.  The 12th is a very clever and great hole.   To get a view of the difficult green one has to challenge the beach.  Anything less than bold will more likely than not result in a blind approach.  The approach.

A view back toward the 12th tee from the 13th tee.  This vantage point also shows the 13th green.  We played an alternate hole which was blind.  Either version of the 13th is very good.

This is what I think is the normal 13th tee.  The two poles mark out the line between dunes.  This is a highly entertaining version of target golf.

The old fashioned 14th plays blind over a dune to an enclosed fairway.  #15 turns back and plays over tumultuous land into a saddle of a dune. 

A closer look after a fine drive.

The golf, while still quite good, is less compelling from here in.  That is your quick look at Porthmadog.  It certainly isn't worth a great detour, but it does have a stretch of holes that would make any club proud.  Certainly the 12th is a hole every golfer would want to play.  If you do make your way here, just play the back twice and you will walk away quite satisfied with the green fee.   If this isn't possible, I am not sure the links holes can make up for the dreary front 9.   2008

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 02:07:26 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Marty Bonnar

Re: Porthmadog
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »
Arbs,
that looks like the kind of weather only madogs and englishmen might venture forth in!
 ;)
Nance and I once drove from Portmerion to Chester. I cannot remember a more depressingly grey part of the world as there. All slate quarries and mining towns. Was like the very depths of the worst imaginings of some Tolkeinian adventure.
The Welsh are cool though!
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »
Sean, I haven't played much overseas.  But the walking paths seem unusually out of place for a GB/Ireland course.  Visually, they look more like the intrusive cart paths we too often see in the US.  Is that right or are these typical of courses in your neck of the woods?  Thanks in advance!

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
Sean, I haven't played much overseas.  But the walking paths seem unusually out of place for a GB/Ireland course.  Visually, they look more like the intrusive cart paths we too often see in the US.  Is that right or are these typical of courses in your neck of the woods?  Thanks in advance!

Ed

Porthmadog is unusual in that they rent out carts.  Consequently, in the dunesy terrain there are some proper cart paths.  I agree that they don't look clever, but I am not sure where else they could go - assuming the club felt the paths were necessary.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »
Sean- I like the look of it and I am intigued to see the first 7 now. Shame bout the weekends wilds and savages. Still nice pics though, thanks for sharing.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
Sean- I like the look of it and I am intigued to see the first 7 now. Shame bout the weekends wilds and savages. Still nice pics though, thanks for sharing.

Adrian

I suspect that the course was perhaps only 9 holes originally and that the holes on the other side of the lane are much newer.  They are sort of built between a row of houses and a hill.  Terrible drainage problems and uninspired architecture is the rule of thumb for the most part.  Its a pity because if the course used all the duneland extending toward Black Rock Sands Porthmadog would be on every links lover's itinerary. 

The land where the photo is inserted is fantastic duneland, but it may be owned by The National Trust - heavy sigh.
http://www.porthmadog-golf-club.co.uk/courseT.htm

Ciao

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:30:44 AM »
Nance and I once drove from Portmerion to Chester. I cannot remember a more depressingly grey part of the world as there. All slate quarries and mining towns. Was like the very depths of the worst imaginings of some Tolkeinian adventure.
The Welsh are cool though!
FBD.

Damn, you know it's bad when the Scots comment on how grey a place is.   ;D

Sean, it sounds as if it's almost the exact same kind of situation as at Abersoch.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
Sean,
Is # 10 (or #8)at a reasonable proximity to the clubhouse?

In case we need to settle a bet on the way down to Royal St. David's ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Sean,
Is # 10 (or #8)at a reasonable proximity to the clubhouse?

In case we need to settle a bet on the way down to Royal St. David's ;)

Jeff

There are several holes close to the house.  #s, 1, 2 (a par 3), 3, 9 (a par 3) & 10.

Ciao

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »
Had the chance to play Porthmadog this weekend in some truly atrocious weather.  I was literally knocked into a gorse a bush by a gust of wind.  The course isn't great and the conditions were some of the worst I have ever experienced.  The front 9 is nearly a a complete waste of time except for the 8th and the odd shot here and there.  Not a great way to introduce a course a know, but it is honest. 
Sean,
I would love to read some of your restaurant reviews. ;D

Thanks for the post and sharing photos of the course with us.  Some of the holes look like a lot of fun, especially the 12th.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »
Had the chance to play Porthmadog this weekend in some truly atrocious weather.  I was literally knocked into a gorse a bush by a gust of wind.  The course isn't great and the conditions were some of the worst I have ever experienced.  The front 9 is nearly a a complete waste of time except for the 8th and the odd shot here and there.  Not a great way to introduce a course a know, but it is honest.  
Sean,
I would love to read some of your restaurant reviews. ;D

Thanks for the post and sharing photos of the course with us.  Some of the holes look like a lot of fun, especially the 12th.

John

I was stunned.  The 1st & 2nd were ok then we walked across the road and the complexion of the course changed completely.  Nobody prepared me for several holes of squishy goo - it was awful.  So bad that holes 3-7 should be terminated.  They are better off building homes for the poor - at least its a noble if not lost cause.  I should email Jimmy Carter's name to the sec.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:28:41 AM by Sean Arble »

Sean_A

Re: PORTHMADOG GC: Back 9 Beauty
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »
Bumped for Tucky.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:27:16 AM by Sean_A »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 10:42:04 AM »
Thanks!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 03:55:48 AM »
Look at those natural blow-outs directly on the line of play on hole 13?

There are very few courses I can think of with untouched blow-outs directly affecting a hole.

Excellent.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
I played Portmadog about 6 weeks and can only concur with Sean's comments. The new holes 3-7 are a waste of a good field, whereas 10-15 are as much fun as anyone can handle.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back