GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

In search of Harry Collis ...

<< < (2/3) > >>

TEPaul:
This is very interesting! Was Harry Collis the original architectural "redesigner" who got his hands on clubs and plans before they could even originally construct designs and courses?

From what was mentioned about Manor G.C., he might have been.

Maybe Manor thought William Flynn was some half-assed amateur back then! Clearly time has proved that not to be the case.

Manor's lucky though because we've got Flynn's original Manor plans!

TEPaul:
This architectural research today is getting very interesting. It wasn't that long ago that researchers at the USGA proved that Willie Dunn was not telling the truth about what he did (or didn't do) with the original Shinnecock course and now we've got the total evidence to prove that Dick Wilson was not telling the truth when he told Shinnecock (on a visit in the 1950s) that he built the present Shinnecock.

He did tell them he built the course but what he obviously did not tell the club (or they failed to understand) was that he worked on the crew that built the course exactly to William Flynn's plans, drawings and direction! And I do mean it was built EXACTLY to those Flynn plans and direction!

By the way, as good as Dick Wilson may have become, that was not the only time he tried to take credit for designs that were done by Flynn! On the other hand word is that Wilson's brother could not have been easier to work with in that regard!

Chris_Letuli:
My friends and I usally go to Myrtle Beach, but we think it might be a time for a change. Is biloxi a nice change of pace from M.B ? Are there any standouts, or should we just stick to the 100 or so courses in M.B.? This is my first post, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. Love the site and hope you guys have some info for me! Thanks again, Chris Letuli...

Paul Richards:
Chris:

Actually this is NOT the correct place for that.

Instead, go to "start a new topic" for your thread.

Thanks.

Now, anyone else with info on Harry Collis?

Craig Disher:
Paul,
A slight correction on your chronology:

Collis prepared his design for Manor CC's front nine after 1927. Until then, Manor was building according to Flynn's design but for some reason (I suspect real estate considerations) the club decided in mid-stream that it needed a different routing for the front even though trees had been cleared according to Flynn's specifications.

What information do you have that Collis worked on 9 of the holes at the USNA? It's widely assumed here that the course is Flynn's although he could have redesigned an existing course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version