News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Architects...sharing a photo of your first born!
« on: April 02, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
They hold a special place inside us! I will go first and it would be nice if some other architect also posted their first born photos.

Tom_Doak

Re: Architects...sharing a photo of your first born!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »
Randy:

Is that your first solo design or the first course you worked on?

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
Tom,
My first solo, I was still constructing for RVH at B.A. golf club, when we started. The club is in southern Brazil and went from nine to eighteen but over more then a 10 year period. They would have two tournaments per year and raise about 30,000 dollars and advance as far as that would go. Sixty memebers way back then. Now four hundred members and new clubhouse.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
They hold a special place inside us! I will go first and it would be nice if some other architect also posted their first born photos.

Randy,

I love the look of that structure.  Is that the old clubhouse?
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 11:33:37 AM »
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=Brookstone+Golf+%26+Country+Club+Acworth+GA&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4#Y3A9cG55czlnN3k1bmYyJmx2bD0xOC40MSZkaXI9MzU0LjAyJnN0eT1iJnNzPXlwLkJyb29rc3RvbmUlMjBHb2xmJTIwJTI2JTIwQ291bnRyeSUyMENsdWJ+cGcuMX5yYWQuODA=

Never have taken the time to figure out how to post pics here, so a Bing Maps link will have to do.  Opened in 1987, Brookstone Golf and Country Club was my first 18 hole project, co-designed with Larry Nelson, home town golf legend, who helped marketing along by winning the PGA that year.

Typical real estate course.  Perusing the photos, I am glad to say very little has changed, but they did take out a tee to green sand bunker on the short par 3 15th on the far west side, maybe a few other bunkers.  Even the green shapes have held up pretty well, but as is typical, the more intricate shapes have been rounded off a bit.

I tried the link, and you need more info (as if you care) but its in Acworth, GA
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »
Jeff,

Here is a picture for you.  Looks like an interesting green.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »

Randy,

I love the look of that structure.  Is that the old clubhouse?
Actually to the left of the structure, 30 to 40 yards was a small basic brick 19th hole and the structure in the photo was the mens and womens locker rooms. When the new clubhouse got built, they demolished the 19th hole but the towns historical society probhibited eliminating this building.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
Jeff,

Bryan,

Thanks. That is one of four golf pix on the club website, and its the 18th.  I had an RTJ "Baltusrol" moment, as someone said the green was too tough. I placed a ball on the back of the green, just out of view in this pic, and the pin was down where it is in the photo.  I wish I could say I made the putt, but it did lip out, which impressed them.  Had to putt it through the fringe on the top of the tier to get it there and have it hold.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »
Jeff,

Now the course has that white, white sand that we all love.  ;)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
Scott,

The Google Earth photo actually captures them adding bunker liner and drainage on the third hole bunkers.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back