News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Great par 3's without bunkers.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
John:

I think the greatest par-3 I ever saw without a bunker was the old 7th at Royal Liverpool, known as the Dowie.  It was 200 yards, with a shallow swale at the front right of the green, and o.b. hard against the left side of the green ... like, 5 feet off the putting surface.  Just an amazing hole to watch people "attack".

Tom, or anyone else -

Would you happen to have a picture, or know where I could find a picture, of the old Dowie hole? Thank you.
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
John:

I think the greatest par-3 I ever saw without a bunker was the old 7th at Royal Liverpool, known as the Dowie.  It was 200 yards, with a shallow swale at the front right of the green, and o.b. hard against the left side of the green ... like, 5 feet off the putting surface.  Just an amazing hole to watch people "attack".

Tom, or anyone else -

Would you happen to have a picture, or know where I could find a picture, of the old Dowie hole? Thank you.

Look at number 11 at your course.  They are supposedly similar.

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
John:

I think the greatest par-3 I ever saw without a bunker was the old 7th at Royal Liverpool, known as the Dowie.  It was 200 yards, with a shallow swale at the front right of the green, and o.b. hard against the left side of the green ... like, 5 feet off the putting surface.  Just an amazing hole to watch people "attack".

Tom, or anyone else -

Look at number 11 at your course.  They are supposedly similar.

That's why I asked Jason. I've heard the comparison before, but was curious as to exactly how similar.

Here is the 11th hole at my home course. Today it's a ~190 yard par-3 to a green, built in 1907. The green surrounded by out-of-bounds a few paces left of the green and an approximatley 20-30ft drop off down the right side. The green itself is heavily contoured and slopes mostly back-to-front but there is a little right-to-left slope (toward the Mississippi) that makes up and downs nearly impossible from the right.

It's a hard hole...it averaged 4.02 strokes over two rounds during this year's State Mid-Am with only 2 birdies, 65 pars...and 55 "others"

Here is a shot of the hole from the side, courtesy of Google Maps:

A photo from the tee:

And a photo from near the bottom of the right slope:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:43:31 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

Re: Great par 3's without bunkers. New
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Staying in the Twin Cities:

Minikahda's No. 3 (short, c. 125-yard par-3 uphill to plateau green, with falloffs front, right and left; maybe rear, too, as I've never been back there; OB right), as Ross left it, had no bunkers. It has two now, right and short-left.

I'm not sure the bunkers added anything essential to the hole.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:25:07 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Anders Rytter

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
"Calamity" at Royal Portrush comes to mind

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back