News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Peter Lees 'obit'
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »
Instead of posting this to the Glen Ridge thread, I'm starting a new topic.  From the 1923 Evening Telegram is this obituary for Lees.  In it lists  courses ".... Mr. Lee designed or improved...".  I'm hoping to have the courses listed clarified, expanded (stricken from the record?!), and with dates if possible.

If there is an old thread out there that has basically discussed this already that I've not been able to find, please post it!

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim McManus

Re: Peter Lees 'obit'
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
Hempstead Golf & Country Club on Long Island attributes the design to both Lees and Tillinghast.  From the club's website:

"The new club purchased 122 acres of farmland and woods, and engaged the noted English greenkeeper Peter Lees to lay out a golf course.  Lees first molded the farmland, and had nine holes ready for play on September 17, 1921, when an official opening-day match was played in a downpour.  All 18 holes were ready by the start of the 1923 season.  Lees’ design was altered significantly when A.W. Tillinghast carved seven new holes from the woods for the 1927 season."

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:26:15 AM »
I believe Hot Springs, Mountain Lake, Somerset Hills, and Glen Ridge were with Tilly as well.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »
I believe Hot Springs, Mountain Lake, Somerset Hills, and Glen Ridge were with Tilly as well.

I now hope that Boston College gets invited to the Big 10, goes out to Columbus and pounds The Buckeyes in football, basketball and hockey all in the name of architectural attribution !  :D :P :-* :'(  

Sorry Bill Steele.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:50:40 AM »
Newfoundland and Nova Scotia?

Interesting. I wonder which courses? Can't think of which they could be...
jeffmingay.com

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:24:25 AM »
Jeff
I was wondering the same thing.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
"Simiiarly at Yarmouth several holes were re-arranged and lengthened under the direction of Mr. Peter Lee, a
Scottisb golf profèssional working in the Eastern United States."

I don't know the answer to Newfoundland.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »
Yarmouth Links - which was 9 holes until the mid 1990s - claims to be one of the provinces oldest golf courses.
jeffmingay.com

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
From the Nova Scotia Golf Association is this about Yarmouth:

1904 – YARMOUTH

The Tooker Farm acquired and a course laid out. A new Yarmouth Golf Club was formed and incorporated 22 May 1920 and a major expansion/redesign undertaken. Nine holes, 2,773 yards. There is some evidence of informal play of golf at Yarmouth as early as 1896.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back