News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: PGA to merge with LIV
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2023, 09:13:57 PM »
They have massive financial exposure with:

Pandemic losses, far bigger purses, sponsors pulling out of 2nd tier events, massive money spent on thier new facility, ongoing lawsuit and litigation costs, etc.

As mentioned before, Saudis bluffed with a massive pile of chips and got Jay to throw in the winning hand..

Philippe Binette

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2023, 09:14:13 PM »
This whole is about as coherent as if tomorrow we learn that Trump is running for the democrats next election !!!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2023, 09:16:16 PM »
Is it possible that the PGA tour ran out of money, and a lot of big corporate sponsors like Honda, trying to follow LIV money is no issue budget ?

Daryl David

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2023, 09:16:24 PM »
I guess all those Golf Channel pundits who ripped LIV as immoral human rights violators will be resigning their jobs now..........

I wish. Probably not. Now they will shill for the new merger. Whores.

Daryl David

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2023, 09:22:31 PM »
As a Phiiadelphia Congressman once said,  " Money talks and BS walks"

More like money talks and values walk.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2023, 09:40:09 PM »
Well I for one am anxious to read what the following folks have to say about the merger all for very different reasons:

1. Jack Nicklaus - not always correct, but always has an opinion
2. Rory - he was the face of the PGA Tour post LIV
3. John Rahm - lets everyone know what he's thinking
4. Tiger - he was the spokesman/elder statesman of the PGA TOUR post LIV
5. The Rank & File Touring Professionals outside of the top 50 on all of the Tours.  Is it a cash grab for the cream of the crop or is the wealth shared?

Nicklaus endorsed Comrade Trumpsky in the last election and designed one of his courses. He is tickled pink and is as big a scumbag as the SPGA commissioner. :o

I love a good moral high horse. They always fall really hard.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2023, 10:17:47 PM »
While the PGA Tour and LIV (plus others) agree, that's not the rest of the story.  The DOJ scrutiny continues.
https://golf.com/news/antitrust-implications-tour-liv-merger/   It probably doesn't help that the PGA Tour was on Capitol Hill a month ago trying to get congressional support.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2023, 10:28:42 PM »
Does this solve the tour's anti-trust issues?  Or just create new ones?
How is this merger not anti-competitive?  You now have one entity controlling the PGA Tour, LIV Tour, DP Tour and Asian Tour.  That sure sounds like a monopoly.

As an aside, WTF does the US still use the term anti-trust?  Isn't that like 100 years obsolete?  The term should be anti-competitive.

mike_beene

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2023, 11:12:37 PM »
Seems like a simpler time when you could run out to Burning Tree and fix it all. Probably a more fair time now, but this has a back room feel.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2023, 11:23:57 PM »
Big mistake PGA.

Getting in bed with murdering totalitarians is not good.

But hey, we let the Saudi's get away with the largest redistribution of wealth in the worlds history, so why let some human rights violations get in the way.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2023, 11:42:04 PM »
Should we Bud Light the PGA Superstore?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2023, 11:43:22 PM »
Apparently they would rather pay the players than the lawyers. Unrelated, I agree with most everything Chamblee says about most subjects.
Be the ball

Pat Burke

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2023, 11:44:52 PM »
I guess all those Golf Channel pundits who ripped LIV as immoral human rights violators will be resigning their jobs now..........

Honestly, I haven’t been a fan of how Brandel has covered some things. But I like Brandel himself.

I hope he comes in today a rips this, standing by his guns.  He’d probably lose his job, but it would say a lot about him

George,

You are smarter than this.

Pat,

Brandel did just that. He's got a spine.

Yes he did.  Stood by his guns. Not easy but glad to see it

David Kelly

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2023, 02:30:21 AM »
Monahan and his people must have been petrified over discovery and the discovery depositions coming up in the anti-trust suits.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2023, 03:15:10 AM »
Thats funny I was thinking just the opposite...   Interested to hear what's your thoughts along those lines.

I cant see how it can be anything but positive for golf fans themselves, you can now see all your favorite players on any and all franchises again, wherever they choose to play, just like it was. 

What, you think this will encourage US Golfers to travel?

Just like how the World Championships ended, more boring tournaments in America, that golf fans like myself can not be arsed staying up to watch.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:18:36 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2023, 03:31:07 AM »
if you were on the Titanic with Jay and there was one seat left in the lifeboat how do you think you would fare? He is elevated to the front row of the scumbag Hall of Fame.  :o ::) ???

But I can’t say I’m surprised; there has been so much hypocrisy all along, and in the end they don’t care about the provenance of their $$$ after all.  My only surprise was to hear of Jimmy Dunne’s involvement in the deal.
Hi Tom,

Are you at liberty to share, in a high-level, generalization sort of way, how Jimmy Dunne was involved/consulted, or even had a valued opinion he shared that influenced this decision? And in a non-incriminating way, what that might have been, without getting into specifics or territorial land mine topical areas?

No problem if not. I totally understand.

He's not on the PGA Tour board, is he? If so, well, there's that. 

Sean_A

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2023, 03:56:30 AM »
if you were on the Titanic with Jay and there was one seat left in the lifeboat how do you think you would fare? He is elevated to the front row of the scumbag Hall of Fame.  :o ::) ???

But I can’t say I’m surprised; there has been so much hypocrisy all along, and in the end they don’t care about the provenance of their $$$ after all.  My only surprise was to hear of Jimmy Dunne’s involvement in the deal.
Hi Tom,

Are you at liberty to share, in a high-level, generalization sort of way, how Jimmy Dunne was involved/consulted, or even had a valued opinion he shared that influenced this decision? And in a non-incriminating way, what that might have been, without getting into specifics or territorial land mine topical areas?

No problem if not. I totally understand.

He's not on the PGA Tour board, is he? If so, well, there's that.

I thought Dunne was on the board?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2023, 04:14:12 AM »
Monahan and his people must have been petrified over discovery and the discovery depositions coming up in the anti-trust suits.
With respect to discovery, it's important to note the predicament the Tour had put essentially all of its partners in. In addition to the entities themselves, the primary contacts for all parties the Tour does business with are forced to respond to discovery and/or be deposed in connection with the suit.

Putting all of your business contacts in that position is no small thing. The time, expense, and aggravation of responding to a lawsuit where the liability is massive and the Plaintiff's are well-financed (and also partners of yours) is significant. While some of those contacts are entirely secure in their respective positions, some of them are not likely to be. Even if you assume the Tour and its partners were beyond reproach- which is a healthy if- it's a decidedly unwelcome state of affairs for the people at FedEx and John Deere and the like. All the while, the Tour is desperately trying to drum up money and sponsors.

Conversely, while the Tour earned the right to discovery as to PIF and AL-Rumayyan- assuming a favorable appeal- the scope of that discovery is limited to matters related to antitrust actions and contract interference. None of the 9/11 or Khashoggi stuff was going to be discussed.

With only a quick look, I haven't been able to dig up any good discussion with respect to the litigation, but I have a very difficult time seeing any scenario where the lawsuit wasn't a much worse proposition for the Tour than for LIV, wholly apart from the merits of the suit.

Tim Martin

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2023, 06:16:55 AM »
With Al-Rumayyan as Chairman of the new commercial entity wouldn’t he be able to fire Monahan as CEO? If I’m a bettor I would say a clash will ensue between the two of them.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2023, 06:43:09 AM »
Even the LIV players position doesn't make sense now... about the monopoly

Basically, with this whole operation started 2 years ago...

We went from the PGA tour, being a non-profit monopoly based in USA run (technically) by the players...

To

A world-wide monopoly seeking profits run by a guy and anybody he can buy based in Saudi Arabia...

Steve Lapper

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2023, 06:45:32 AM »

That's rich. Apparently, hearing and reading comprehension aren't your strongest suits.

Between Chamblee, Diaz, Lerner and Lynch, all have spent the last 20+ hours speaking their mind and standing by their principles. They've reported the facts and haven't strayed into the world of appeasement, nor moral capitulation. Not a position Jay Monahan or Phil Mickelson can lay claim to.

PS.  This was, and is, an acquisition......not a merger. So many 2nd derivative issues remain to be resolved. Golf will stay on the front pages for a good long time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 09:40:13 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David_Tepper

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2023, 08:17:30 AM »
21-minute Golf Channel interview/discussion with Chamblee from yesterday here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptOmXuMwGH8   

Well worth a listen.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2023, 08:23:50 AM »
A good time to announce other golf news?
How about a ball rollback announcement from the R&A and USGA?
Doubt it but one can always hope.
Atb

Rob Marshall

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2023, 08:35:47 AM »

Nice, pretty far from what I saw
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 08:38:55 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2023, 08:36:54 AM »
Can the volunteers that work PGA events finally organize and get paid like everyone else? Given the new profit motive what are you really doing but saving the Saudis money.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back