GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Rock Hill CC: A Tillinghast Design?

(1/3) > >>

Michael Whitaker:
Does anyone know anything about Rock Hill Country Club in Rock Hill, SC? According to the Tillinghast Society the original 9 holes at Rock Hill were designed by Tillie. I played there today and was told by the staff that the "old timers" refute the claim that Tillinghast was the designer. They told me it was someone named Hamm. Well, it couldn't be Gene Hamm because he wasn't born when the original nine was built in 1934. 2004 the 50th anniversary of the club and they are working on a history. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andy Troeger:
Michael,
   Not sure if you're still curious at all since this post is a couple years old, but when I played Rock Hill maybe 10 years ago the scorecard had that Tillinghast designed it (and it was in rather large print...I still have the card somewhere). Not sure if that proves anything, but its a start. Anybody know more?

John Shimp:
Tillinghast did one of the nines at Myers Park Country Club which is about 20 miles away in Charlotte.  Don't know if checking the date would help figure Rock Hill out or not?

Phil_the_Author:
John,

From what I have been able to find out, Tilly did Myers Park around 1921 and though I haven't been able to find a date for Rock Hill, there is some evidence that it was done in th early 20's, though I could easily be wrong on that date.

John Shimp:
Phillip,
Interesting.  Matches the pattern of other golden age guys in the southeast in terms of doing work in bunches in a geography. Ross made a run thru Charlotte in the late 20's to redo/add to Charlotte and Myers Park and to design Carolina Golf Club and Fort Mill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version