News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Thunder and lightning
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »
Some UK clubs sound a claxon as a signal for players to leave the course when thunder and lightning are nearby.
Seems like it's usually the pro-shop or the office who sound the claxon maybe in conjunction with the greenstaff.
But ... who sounds the claxon in the evenings/weekends when the pro-shop and office are usually closed and the greenstaff have finished their shifts for the day?
Genuine question, interested in how different clubs handle the situation especially as many UK storms seem to be evening ones and thus folks could be out on the course taking advantage of the longer summer daylight to play after work etc.
atb

jeffwarne

Re: Thunder and lightning
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 06:25:16 AM »
Most I am familair with are automatic and the siren goes off when lightning detected within X amount of miles away.
Ours are located at various points across the course.

I'd sure like to be the one controlling when it sounded.....:)
The trickier part is whether you send someone into harms way to pick a group up -who watched the storm approach and simply decided to roll the dice and keep playing-(storms coming are clearly evident from our vantage point 250 feet above the Bay)

We don't
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
We also sound an air horn when there is lightning in the area - and staff at the halfway house also use a horn so that it can be hard all across the course.

We don't have an issue with the pro shop being closed as the pro shop is open from at least 30 minutes before the first tee time (6:30 on weekends and 7:30 most weekdays), until after sunset.  That is normally the case at courses that I have played in North America.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »
I think you'll find that most courses in the US have automatic sirens as Jeff mentioned.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »
The automatic siren takes the pressure off the pro shop. You have to stop and all clear sounds 30 minutes after last strike within the mileage range. Ignoring the horn will get a suspension or loss of membership. Lightning is serious.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »
I think you'll find that most courses in the US have automatic sirens as Jeff mentioned.
Really?  Does Ballyhack? If I have ever played on a US course with such a system, I wasn't aware of it.  I usually just glance the flash off in a distance and then get off the course.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 02:01:23 PM »
They often look like this:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back