GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Dress codes and buggies in Mornington/SandBelt/KI/Taz/Sydney

(1/5) > >>

Michael Wolf:
I've tried a couple different topic searches, so apologies if I've missed an obvious one. Looking for a recent summary on:

Mornington/Sandbelt/Sydney dress codes? Specifically the sock situation it seems? I realize I can look up each individual clubs on their websites - was looking more for common themes that will help me not look like a tourist.
And then anything drastically once we get to Taz or Cape W?

Finally - if you were worried you were going to need one or two days in a buggy mixed in among multiple 36 hole days over two and a half weeks in Mornington (5 days) Sandbelt (5 days) then KI (2) then Taz (2) then Sydney (3) then Adelaide (1), where would be the most discreet/easiest of the Doak 6.5+ courses to shamefully chauffeur oneself around without looking like an American rube? 

Thanks, Michael

Pete_Pittock:

Interested in the answers too.  My Feb. trip is at https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64916.100.html, reply 101

James Bennett:
General rule #1 - don't wear shorts with short coloured socks.  It is fine for plain white socks, preferably covering the ankle.  Most pro shops will sell you a pair if yours don't comply.  No such issues with long pants.
General rule #2 - don't leave your shirt tucked out.
General rule #3 - don't wear a hat inside the lounge.
Occasional rule #4 - carts require a medical certificate.  Not all courses you are visiting Michael, but some of them.  If the course is mildly undulating (ie easily walkable) then don't presume you can take a cart.  At some courses, if you take a cart (with a medical certificate) then you will probably also have to pay for a driver.  I think Barnbougle is like that.
Golden rule - don't be a Dick.
The dress inside the clubhouse can (confusingly) be more relaxed than on course, eg boat shoes with no socks may be ok.  I emphasise may.
Your last day at Royal Adelaide will be a walking day unless you have a medical certificate.  You will enjoy the walk.  Buggies are provided (push/pull buggies).  You can hire battery-powered buggies at many of the clubs if you don't want to push/pull your own.
If you are taking shorts for golf, just pack a few pairs of white short socks.  Make sure your shirts can be tucked in and have a collar.  Bring a couple of hats (bucket hats are better than baseball caps).  Sunscreen is available at most clubs.  You will need it.  UV today in Adelaide is 14 - you will burn much more rapidly in OZ than in USA.  Burnt ears aren't fun (and worse if you eventually get a melanoma on one of them).
I think the days of coat and tie have gone.  In fact you can (generally?) wear your golf attire including shoes after golf.  If you were going to the dining room, it is probably best to have freshened up and changed but it might not be required.

James B
ps  if you can, have a mix of bounce on the sand wedge and lob wedge.  Some bunkers will be 'fluffy' suiting the bounce whilst other courses will have 'packed' sand which will just bounce any club with bounce.  Some lies around greens can also be tight, so a wedge with bounce isn't always the preferred shot.  Choose the right bounce club for the shot depending on the course/sand/lie.You are playing at so many courses in different states that you can't generalise about what you will find.

Andrew Bertram:
Michael and Peter

have a look at
https://www.royalmelbourne.com.au/cms/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/RM%20Dress%20Code%20Brochure%20Web.pdf

https://www.yarrayarra.com.au/the-club/dress-standards/

RM allows socks to match colors of outfit, most other sand belts it is white
You cannot go wrong with white ankle socks

I also back up James on UV, you can get burnt easily on days where it is somewhat overcast not just bright sunny days, particularly the further south you go
Clubs have sunscreen in locker rooms and wide brim is a must

enjoy your trips gents

David_Elvins:
Michael,

No one in Australia other than tourists wear black or brown golf shoes with their white socks. 

St Andrews Beach is a great course to take a cart.  Difficult walk and a lot of cart use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version