News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

The 13 best golf courses built this decade
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »

And #1 is......

Congaree, Ridgeland, S.C.

Posting this list here reminds me of the first time I went to a zoo in China. For a few dollars you could throw a live chicken into a  lion's den. If that didn't float your boat you could drop one in the crocodile pit. Enjoy!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-13-best-golf-courses-built-this-decade

Pete_Pittock

Re: The 13 best golf courses built this decade
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
In North America, since 09/2018

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:32:28 PM »
This was obviously compiled before JC quit the panel.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
Silo Ridge ?

Has anyone on this site played it ?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
If I was paying someone to believe what I told them this is the exact kind of place that I would tell them is great. It looks that good.

https://siloridge.com

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
Silo Ridge ?

Has anyone on this site played it ?

I played it before the redesign. And it was laughably bad. I can't write off the new layout entirely without having seen it, but it's hard for me to believe that the land it is on could produce a great course. There are lots of awkward slopes and penal falloffs.

The hole that is pictured looks VERY similar to what was there before, but with better maintenance. And previously, the cart path ran along the top of the ridge on the right. I played it with a member, and he said the way to play the hole was to pull out a scuffed ball and aim for the cart path. That's exactly what he did, incredibly managed to hit the cart path, and we watched it bounce a few times, then roll down the ridge and onto the fairway, not far from the green. It was hilarious, but I'm not sure indicative of great architecture.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
I have played it Tom.

100% what you expect to see at a Discovery property.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
From my buddy who played it:

The new SR is a significant upgrade to the old version which plays to a similar routing.

The first nine heads north over less interesting topography but has nice variety, including a short/drivable par four, and moves back and forth in a parallel fashion  The back nine begin with a demanding drive over a lake, often into the wind.  Following shortly is the hardest hole on the course, a dogleg left which tees off from an elevated tee to a low fairway, then uphill to the green.

The greens are contoured but fair, and roll true due to the limited play at SR.  While the property is a wide open piece of land, driving is at a premium with water and fescue bordering the fairways.  The course is walkable but a few long green-to-tee distances means most will ride.

Given a relatively generic description...perhaps the comfort stations were the highlight?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
Glad to see Dismal River Red on the list. Was just thinking recently how under the radar it is, especially when Sand Hills is held in such high regard on all these latest World rankings. If you can't get on Sand Hills, Dismal is a really nice consolation prize.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »
Beautiful group of courses. 2008 I hung up my clubs after playing for 55 years, I miss golf, especially miss the opportunity to play these fine courses. Some of you are new to GCA, I used to play 6 days a week, now I paint for a hobby. Those of you with bad backs, don't push it overly hard, try your best now to have surgery, it doesn't always work. My doctor said I would return to golf in 4 months, what a supreme liar.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 11:48:16 AM »
Cool to see Sweeten's on that list as HM.  Congaree is great, I really enjoyed it last year.  I'm surprised Ohoopee wasn't on the list but maybe it's too new to get enough points for how they base it.
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Steve Lapper

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
I have played it Tom.

I have played it 2X. It is unquestionably an upgrade to the course that preceded it. It is, like most T. Fazio's, a large-feature course with big bunkers, greens, and sizable fairways (although not as wide as say Congaree's). The routing is okay, defined mostly by the valley and hill shoulder it sits on, and not wildly different than the previous course.. Conditioning, as one would expect at a Discovery property is superb. Their formula of relaxed-luxury is readily apparent and works quite well.

The amenities are very good. Nice range and tasteful clubhouse area compliment the property. All this said, there is no question, the comfort stations and their choice of food and drink are the single most memorable feature.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »
I have played it Tom.

Did you think, "This has got to be one of the top ten courses built in the last decade?"

Admittedly, that's a pretty low bar this past decade . . . there probably weren't 50 to choose from.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 01:46:32 PM »
I have played it Tom.

I have played it 2X. It is unquestionably an upgrade to the course that preceded it. It is, like most T. Fazio's, a large-feature course with big bunkers, greens, and sizable fairways (although not as wide as say Congaree's). The routing is okay, defined mostly by the valley and hill shoulder it sits on, and not wildly different than the previous course.. Conditioning, as one would expect at a Discovery property is superb. Their formula of relaxed-luxury is readily apparent and works quite well.

The amenities are very good. Nice range and tasteful clubhouse area compliment the property. All this said, there is no question, the comfort stations and their choice of food and drink are the single most memorable feature.

Here's a few snaps to illustrate what Steve is describing:

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 02:38:13 PM »

the comfort stations and their choice of food and drink are the single most memorable feature.

How many points are the comfort stations on the GOLF DIGEST ranking criteria?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »

the comfort stations and their choice of food and drink are the single most memorable feature.

How many points are the comfort stations on the GOLF DIGEST ranking criteria?

Tom,

As you well know, none should.

In reality, apparently GD does value these kind of things. Several other Discovery properties (and take-offs on their approach) have, and do, appear on their lists. That said, this kind of luxury amenity does seem appeal to some folks and they are popping up elsewhere. Interestingly, I once asked where this practice started? The answer was...the serving of fish tacos (as part of the green fee) at Cabo Del Sol.

[size=78%] [/size]
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »
I've only seen 6 of the 13 but I would rank those 6 accordingly:

1.  Trinity Forest - 8
2.  Mammoth Dunes - 7/7.5
3.  Old Macdonald - 6.5
4.  Streamsong Red - 6
5.  Streamsong Blue - 5.5
6.  Sand Valley - 5

No doubt there are a few on there that would challenge the top of that list. An impressive list of courses considering the relative lack of new construction early in the decade. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
I have played it Tom.

Did you think, "This has got to be one of the top ten courses built in the last decade?"

Admittedly, that's a pretty low bar this past decade . . . there probably weren't 50 to choose from.

Tom, I would not go that far.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »

1.  Trinity Forest - 8
3.  Old Macdonald - 6.5
4.  Streamsong Red - 6
6.  Sand Valley - 5

Don't bother going and seeing my other ones then!   :D

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »

1.  Trinity Forest - 8
3.  Old Macdonald - 6.5
4.  Streamsong Red - 6
6.  Sand Valley - 5

Don't bother going and seeing my other ones then! 

Like Tara Iti aka Streamsong by the sea?  :D

It’s not you, it’s me ;)

The reality is I won’t ever likely see Tara Iti or Barnbougle, both of which are told to me to be phenomenal.  I’m hopeful to see the Loop next summer.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

The reality is I won’t ever likely see Tara Iti or Barnbougle, both of which are told to me to be phenomenal.  I’m hopeful to see the Loop next summer.

Don't feel the need.  It would be much easier just going back to my default position of dismissing your opinion as irrelevant.

But, thank you for pointing out that GOLF DIGEST thinks Silo Ridge is better than The Loop.  I knew they had left off something good that I'd built; I just couldn't remember what it was, since so much of our work was overseas.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »
I think Silo Ridge being so highly rated is indicative of the current state of the Golf Digest panel.

Tom, I wouldn’t know what to do if you didn’t dismiss my opinions out of hand!  :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back