News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Hoak

Brook Hollow GC, Dallas, Restoration Project
« on: November 20, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
Brook Hollow GC in Dallas is undergoing a significant historical restoration project to its golf course with the course just shut down as of November 4, work underway, and a projected reopening next fall. Up to this point, I am not aware of any golf media attention.

Brook Hollow’s founding occurred in 1920, and the course opened in 1922, with an additional 300 yards added in 1925. One of Brook Hollow’s founders was Cameron Buxton, also a founding member at Pine Valley, credited with helping George Crump develop that golf course. Mr. Buxton, a Philadelphia cotton trader who moved to Dallas, was the influential party in convincing A.W. Tillinghast to come to Dallas and build Dallas’ best and most prestigious golf course, which Buxton envisioned as the “Pine Valley of the West.” According to most reports, Tillinghast spent more time at Brook Hollow than he did at any other golf course outside of the Northeast. Brook Hollow is also cited as the first course in the country with an in-ground irrigation system.

In the 1940’s, Brook Hollow hired Perry Maxwell to do work at the course, which turned its famously square greens to round. Since the 1940’s, several local and national architects have worked on many aspects of the golf course, hiding much of the original Tillinghast treasure. Brook Hollow hosted the Trans-Mississippi in 1978 and 2006, the USGA Mid-Am in 1987, and 9 Texas Amateurs, the most of any course. 

In 2016 Brook Hollow members decided it was time to return the golf course to its original heritage and planning began.  The Club hired Keith Foster, judged to be an expert on Tillinghast restoration work, to guide the process.  It decided to stick with Keith through his legal issues.  Keith was the architect for the acclaimed renovations of Tillinghast courses, Philadelphia Cricket and Baltimore Country Club. Keith’s plans for Brook Hollow were approved by its membership, which is very committed and excited to complete a restoration of Tillinghast’s work. Keith consulted with historical Tillinghast experts on what was planned and done by Tillie at Brook Hollow and has used a 1925 aerial photo as partial guidance for the work.  Prior to commencing work on Brook Hollow, he visited 10 Tillinghast courses to get an increased feel for the Tillinghast style.  He is currently spending a great deal of time each week at Brook Hollow.  And the La Bar Construction crews are underway with the work, having completed the renovation work at LACC and Merion.

The golf world should keep their eye on this project as it progresses.  Its budget is possibly the largest ever for a Tillinghast renovation, and it will feature some technology not usually seen on golf courses that do not host major championships, for example a sub-terrain cooling system for its Bentgrass greens.  Every aspect of the course, including the return of its “Great Hazard” feature on the 15th hole, squaring of the greens, re-sloping of greens’ approaches, and recreating bunker shapes and styles, is in adherence to Tillinghast’s design principles.  Fairways and roughs will be Tahoma Bermuda, the first time this new grass has been used for an entire course.

The guiding principle of this renovation is meant to honor the Tillinghast design and the history of one of the outstanding Tillinghast courses completed during his prime years 1918-1923.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:56:01 PM by Jim Hoak »

Tom_Doak

Re: Brook Hollow GC, Dallas, Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 03:28:02 PM »
Jim:

It's really weird to read your write up and see no mention of the extensive work done there by Coore and Crenshaw, twenty or so years ago.  IIRC, their intention was mostly to restore it, but the club did not want to take down all the trees between fairways to restore the bunkers that Tillinghast built to separate them originally.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Not to mention, Tripp Davis did one there not that many years ago.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Trey Kemp

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 10:54:09 AM »
Mr. Hoak,  I have seen the plan and have briefly corresponded with Mr. Foster about the project.  Once it is finished I have no doubt that it will be one of the best Tillinghast courses in the country.  I wish the club good luck on the project and I can't wait to see the finished product.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:23:28 PM »
Is the great hazard feature related to the lower area right of 15? Isn't there an irrigation pond hidden back there?Strangly, Brook Hollow seems to have a sandy soil and a few pine trees which is unusual for Dallas. One of my favorite courses anywhere. Keep us posted.

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 11:25:45 PM »
Do you know what kind of sand they plan to use in the bunkers?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:18:18 AM »
Mike--The Great Hazard will be mid-way on the par 5, 15th, wrapping up toward 16 tee--much like Tillinghast had it.  No pond I'm aware of, but could be out of play.  (I checked and you are right.  There is an irrigation pond by the maintenance facility--totally out of play and out of sight from the course.  Thanks.)
Sand will be traditional but not decided yet.
Sandy soil and pine trees--very unusual for Dallas.

Tom and Jeff--As said in the original post, there were many people who worked on the course since 1940, for better or for worse.  But none were based to restore the Tillinghast-feel of the original.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:39:29 PM by Jim Hoak »

David Wuthrich

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
Jim,  Thanks for the update.  Nice to see this happening in our state!

Douglas Kelley

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 01:06:00 PM »
Mike -- Yes, there is a pond behind the trees on the right of 15 tee. (Pretty good fishing too!)

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 12:14:51 AM »
While we are on Brook Hollow, does anyone know the real history of the low area that runs in front of 18,10,6 and 9? I have heard it was once water, and I know the river , creek and flood works may have changed things. I have heard different things from different people who would seem to know.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 08:17:58 AM »
A lot of different theories and probably depended on the time of year.  But it appears it was more of a low, marshy area than a brook.  Used to get oily run off from nearby Love Field.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
Kudos to the decision makers at BH for sticking with Keith Foster.  The loyalty will likely pay off with superior execution of a very impressive plan.  As long as the local economy keeps on humming, it will be interesting to watch the reaction from its peers.  Though all have completed significant renovations in the past few years, much tree work remains.  I do wonder if the ultra-dwarf Bermudas got a fair hearing.  I only wish I was 20-30 years younger and met the member profile to bide my time patiently on the reported 10+ year wait list.  It would not surprise me if the course shot up to near the top.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 12:11:59 AM »
When it comes to trees, the city of Dallas is a totalitarian regime with a tree czar counting the the trees that disappear and requiring new plantings. They are currently confused by the tornado that came through my neighborhood because they can't figure out how to ticket the weather. If they would just pick the trash up regularly....

Jim Hoak

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
Mike, my understanding of the tree ordinance is that trees need to be replanted--or a fee paid.  But even on replanting, there is no requirement that they be replanted in the same location.  The ordinance while restrictive is less onerous than many places.
Sorry, about your home!  I've driven the area.  Very sad!  So much for the theory that a tornado couldn't hit Dallas!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:57:54 AM by Jim Hoak »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »
When it comes to trees, the city of Dallas is a totalitarian regime with a tree czar counting the the trees that disappear and requiring new plantings. They are currently confused by the tornado that came through my neighborhood because they can't figure out how to ticket the weather. If they would just pick the trash up regularly....

Mike,

You are right.  And not just Dallas.  Tree ordinances have a perverse effect.  I remember property owners in Tarrant County clear-cutting their land to avoid anticipated future restrictions.  20 years later, some of the land remains undeveloped, with trash trees and weeds taking over where native oaks once grew.

On the opposite end, Grand Prairie did not have a tree ordinance years ago which made it possible for an industrial developer to purchase Great Southwest Golf Club, wipe out thousands of trees, many oaks and pecans of considerable girth, and build gigantic warehouse buildings on the site.  The former mayor, who had a townhome adjacent to the golf course, lamented his opposition to an ordinance similar to Dalllas' as the project would not have made financial sense if the trees had to be replaced trunk caliper inch per trunk caliper inch.

Tripp Davis, responding to the question why Northwood didn't take down more trees during its renovation, stated that it would have cost an additional $1 Million to accomplish what he had recommended.  As the site didn't have room for the new plantings, the city would have been happy to accept the monetary penalty.

I hope you weren't impacted by the tornado.  I've only seen the damage from the Tollway, but a friend who has had to rent an apartment for his family tells me that it will be well over six months before he can hope to move back.  If you lost some trees, DO NOT replace them with red oaks  The three I planted are producing acorns like crazy.  Talk about trash and varmints.     

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »

Mike,

If they could ticket or tax the weather, I'm sure they would.  Not as bad as Minnesota, where I have checked my rental car receipt only to find the state has taxed my rental car points.  Only a few cents, but LOL.

Some cities have both tree saving and water conservation ordinances, perhaps not realizing that those massive shade trees use far more water than grasses.  Or, just a conscious decision that their value is greater in shade and cooling than water preservation.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 01:44:56 PM »
Kudos to the decision makers at BH for sticking with Keith Foster.  The loyalty will likely pay off with superior execution of a very impressive plan.  As long as the local economy keeps on humming, it will be interesting to watch the reaction from its peers.  Though all have completed significant renovations in the past few years, much tree work remains.  I do wonder if the ultra-dwarf Bermudas got a fair hearing.  I only wish I was 20-30 years younger and met the member profile to bide my time patiently on the reported 10+ year wait list.  It would not surprise me if the course shot up to near the top.

I think with the introduction of hydroponics under greens, I think you will actually see clubs having much more success with bentgrass in the transition zones. The ability to lower the soil temperatures 15-20* or more make bentgrass in the DFW area MUCH more sustainable. It also allows for amore consistent & firmer surface, thus increasing golfers enjoyment. It can pay off quicker than most would think. 
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

mike_beene

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 12:22:10 AM »
Just to be clear, we were very lucky and missed the damage by maybe 200 yards. It really does sound like a freight train and we thought the windows were going to explode. The street and school to my north as well as my shopping center are ruined. Drive by St. marks school and then down Royal. It is a war zone. Several of the totals include my cousins next door neighbor with 5 million dollars in damage. A coalition to buy trees in mass is being started by a friend and the hope is to pay for trees for some who can't afford. All sad but no one died. Our fire station was flattened but they were out on call already. Trees are valuable on this prairie. We moved trees to the peremeter of our course and planted around peremeter. It is expensive to move trees. Ask forgiveness not permission or it doesn't happen. After our problems, Northwood may have gotten a head start. Just routine maintenance I am sure. Thanks for the thoughts. Others do need them.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »

Mike,

If they could ticket or tax the weather, I'm sure they would.  Not as bad as Minnesota, where I have checked my rental car receipt only to find the state has taxed my rental car points.  Only a few cents, but LOL.

Some cities have both tree saving and water conservation ordinances, perhaps not realizing that those massive shade trees use far more water than grasses.  Or, just a conscious decision that their value is greater in shade and cooling than water preservation.
Jeff,

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but, wow, taxing rental car points? Amazing!

Anyway, it sounds like Brook Hollow would be worth seeing when the work is complete.
Tim Weiman

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 12:29:25 AM »
Anyone know the plans for number 8. The green and pond have always felt out of place. Maybe I am wrong, but assume that was rebuilt later.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »

Mike, I am not sure of the plans for hole 8 but here is a picture from back in the 1930's. 

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2019, 11:34:09 PM »
Interesting. The green looks pretty similar. I am surprised the pond was there back then. Difficult to really focus on the hole with the backdrop so different.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »
A coalition to buy trees in mass is being started by a friend and the hope is to pay for trees for some who can't afford.

Just a thought:

If there are plenty of golf clubs that would like to remove trees but can't because they have no room to plant new ones and they don't want to pay high taxes for removal, could they maybe mitigate by offering to fund the replacement of trees in areas damaged by the tornado?

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »

I think with the introduction of hydroponics under greens, I think you will actually see clubs having much more success with bentgrass in the transition zones. The ability to lower the soil temperatures 15-20* or more make bentgrass in the DFW area MUCH more sustainable. It also allows for amore consistent & firmer surface, thus increasing golfers enjoyment. It can pay off quicker than most would think.

I will always defer to you on issues of turf, partly as a fellow Spartan, and am in full agreement that bent is better than bermuda.  I will say, however, that my one bermuda grass experience in Dallas at Trinity Forest had me convinced that there is a future out there for bermuda.  The greens there are phenomenal to the point I had to double check whether it was bermuda (it is Champion bermuda - but that means nothing to me).  The only two courses I've played on that level are #2 and Quail Hollow.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
Keith has posted a few pictures on his Instagram account including the original drawing by Tillinghast. The square greens and other features look pretty good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back