News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Roundabout @ Streamsong
« on: August 21, 2019, 03:44:04 PM »
Going there with a group the end of September and wondering if this is worth it? Have not seen much discussion on the site and have not played it the other times I have been there.

For those that have gone around appreciate your guidance.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Carl Rogers

Re: Roundabout @ Streamsong
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »
Definitely worth it at all levels!  golf, food & lodging.  It is very isolated.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »
For the last two years my buddies and I have made the drive down to Streamsong from Orlando for one day on our five day trip.  We quite liked the courses but we were not that happy about the caddies and the overall value.

The things we didn't like is last year they forced us to use two-bagger caddies as they said that they never allow single bags during the winter high season - which was BS because we had them the previous year. One of our caddies was a jerk as well which was quite annoying.  What makes it even worse is that the caddie fees are very high at $90/person for a two bagger which is a ripoff when it is $100 for a single bagger.  That makes for a very expensive day as that adds up to about $650+ just for two rounds of golf and caddie fees for a non-resort guest.  Add in some food and convert to our lowly Canadian dollar and that makes it a $1000 day.  Compare that to Cabot Links where a caddie is C$70 or about half the rate of Streamsong and where they don't force you to use a double bag caddie.

The other issue is that it was very hot that day and walking 36, even with a caddie, is tiring when the sun is out as there isn't much shade available anywhere on the course.  Since we have come down from Toronto for a handful of days we want to maximize our golf and we always play 36 per day.

We found the food to be hit and miss.  Most of it was pretty good but a few guys in our group didn't like their food and it was also quite expensive.  They had something called a "fork and knife caesar salad" which was a big hunk of romaine lettuce with a few parmesan shavings. 

And finally it is a long drive from Orlando, or Tampa.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
Do they require a caddie? When I played a few years ago they weren’t required.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Bill Seitz

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:39:43 PM »
Do they require a caddie? When I played a few years ago they weren’t required.

Same here.  We walked the morning round without caddies, but when we rode in the afternoon they made us take a fore caddie.  Weird.  That was a while ago, though, before the lodge was even open.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:12:26 AM »
For the last two years my buddies and I have made the drive down to Streamsong from Orlando for one day on our five day trip.  We quite liked the courses but we were not that happy about the caddies and the overall value.

The things we didn't like is last year they forced us to use two-bagger caddies as they said that they never allow single bags during the winter high season - which was BS because we had them the previous year. One of our caddies was a jerk as well which was quite annoying.  What makes it even worse is that the caddie fees are very high at $90/person for a two bagger which is a ripoff when it is $100 for a single bagger.  That makes for a very expensive day as that adds up to about $650+ just for two rounds of golf and caddie fees for a non-resort guest.  Add in some food and convert to our lowly Canadian dollar and that makes it a $1000 day.  Compare that to Cabot Links where a caddie is C$70 or about half the rate of Streamsong and where they don't force you to use a double bag caddie.

The other issue is that it was very hot that day and walking 36, even with a caddie, is tiring when the sun is out as there isn't much shade available anywhere on the course.  Since we have come down from Toronto for a handful of days we want to maximize our golf and we always play 36 per day.

We found the food to be hit and miss.  Most of it was pretty good but a few guys in our group didn't like their food and it was also quite expensive.  They had something called a "fork and knife caesar salad" which was a big hunk of romaine lettuce with a few parmesan shavings. 

And finally it is a long drive from Orlando, or Tampa.

Ditto

They don’t force you to have caddies, but “assume” you will want one and will have one ready for you even if you state ahead of time you do not want one.

A friend played there a month before me and chose not to take a caddie. He was paired with a group of people he didn’t know. After the round one of the caddies for the other players cornered him in the parking lot and asked for a tip.

In one of our rounds were had a 4th paired with us who turned out to be an an awesome guy. His caddie told us on the 3rd hole that he worked at The Philadelphia Cricket Club and that since we were such nice guys he would give us his contact info and if we were ever in Philly he would get us on Merion and maybe even Pine Valley! Obviously he was hoping we would tip him for the privilege, but I’m still wondering how he figured out what great guys we were inside 30 minutes.

Rude outside golf staff regarding golf bag storage.

Spot on regarding the food and food prices.

In the end we go for the golf and obviously the golf is great. I believe the rates are still good in September. You might even get paired up with the legend Joe Bausch and get to witness a 150 yard “cut putt”.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 07:55:43 AM »
At Streamsong the Black is definitely the toughest walk and where I had no problem paying a higher rate for caddie services than the Blue and Red courses. In May the temps climbed into the mid 90’s and we lost our first player at the turn who was a guy in his mid seventies who said he couldn’t physically handle the inward nine. The other two players were a Georgia freshman and his 45 year old father. The father bowed out after the 12th hole saying that he couldn’t go any further. My caddie was great and I enjoyed the walk with him. I don’t know what happened on the fee to the other caddie but he asked me to send the father outside because he was underpaid which is possible. That said I have seen the caddie shakedown before which usually results over $20. I always ask the caddie master or pro shop what the rate is and although I won’t pay less I occasionally will pay up if they enhanced the day. There shouldn’t be a disconnect between the suggested rate and what the caddie feels they are entitled too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:01:17 AM by Tim Martin »

John Foley

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 08:32:29 AM »
Thanks for the input. I've been down three other times and never had a caddie issue. Always professional and great company.

However the question is playing the Roundabout worth the effort? Trying to determine how good it is. Obviously it's no Cradle but don't want to miss it if it's worthy.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
Definitely worth it at all levels!  golf, food & lodging.  It is very isolated.
I probably need to put my comment in some context.  I have only been doing destination golf only since age 55, 10 years ago (when I thought I could afford it).  Destination golf, I see as "special occasion" golf and not to be confused with "every day" golf.  I don't worry much about the extra few dollars that "special occasion" golf consumes.  If a strict golf budget is required, then Streamsong is not your place.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
I am not 100% sure if caddies are mandatory but when you are playing 36 a day for five days in a row then you aren't too keen on walking and carrying (not sure if they have push carts) especially if it is hot - which it has been when we were there.  Most of the guys on the trip walk and carry at home and are aged 40-54 so we are used to walking and carrying but aren't keen to do it for 36/day.

I am pretty sure that carts are not allowed in February.  If caddies are mandatory that is far more likely to be the case in February then in the off or shoulder season.

We are not on a strict budget either but this was part of a multi-day trip where you are spending a pretty good wad in total so when one place is very expensive you notice it.  We considered doing our entire trip at Streamsong but decided that for our regular five day, 10/11 round trip that Streamsong would be too expensive.

Sorry, don't know about the Roundabout - and sorry if I took the discussion off topic.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 10:17:30 PM »
In the interest of dispelling the speculations on this thread:

https://www.streamsongresort.com/best-florida-golf/caddie-services/
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

David_Moorhead

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
I too am interested in hearing about it. When I was there, I was eager to play it because I found Bandon Preserve to be so much fun, but the pro shop guys described it as a warm-up course and gently steered me to a 6-hole loop on the Black (at a very reasonable rate). That loop was a lot of fun and a good preview for the full 18 on Black the next day so I can’t complain.

I got the sense it was more like Shorty’s than the Preserve, but is that right? Is it worth seeing?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »
I too am interested in hearing about it. When I was there, I was eager to play it because I found Bandon Preserve to be so much fun, but the pro shop guys described it as a warm-up course and gently steered me to a 6-hole loop on the Black (at a very reasonable rate). That loop was a lot of fun and a good preview for the full 18 on Black the next day so I can’t complain.

I got the sense it was more like Shorty’s than the Preserve, but is that right? Is it worth seeing?

The 6-hole loops are on Red or Blue. The Roundabout, as formalized, is a 6-7 hole loop across the Driving Range from the Black Course Clubhouse but is not part of the Black Course proper.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

David_Moorhead

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »

The 6-hole loops are on Red or Blue. The Roundabout, as formalized, is a 6-7 hole loop across the Driving Range from the Black Course Clubhouse but is not part of the Black Course proper.

Agreed with all of that. There’s also a loop on Black, which is what I was referring to. It may have been more than 6 holes, but it was relatively cheap and a lot of fun. The pro shop suggested that over the Roundabout, but I want to hear about the Roundabout.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »

Agreed with all of that. There’s also a loop on Black, which is what I was referring to. It may have been more than 6 holes, but it was relatively cheap and a lot of fun. The pro shop suggested that over the Roundabout, but I want to hear about the Roundabout.

Ah! You likely then played an 11-hole loop since 11 is the green next to the Clubhouse.

I've always liked our options in this regard.

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »
Just returned and spent a morning out on the Roundabout w a group of 8. Not sure why it's not spoken more of but it was challenging and enjoyable. It's a 7 hole routing with a few cross overs and double greens running from 80-150 yards.  The greens themselves are very fast, w/ some movement but nowhere near as dramatic as the Black's. I was surprised that a few of the holes (1,4 & 5) had some forced caries over the native area. Had a few lost balls in our group that was a bit disruptive. Very easily walk-able (the staff will bring you there and pick you up). I'd recommend having a laser rangefinder as the tee/greens are not distance marked like the Cradle or Sandbox. As an alternative to 36 it's a great choice and am not sure why the resort does not market the course more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back