News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

About eight years ago, we had an overgrown tree, moss and fungus farm that claimed to have been built by some guy named Ross Bendelow. A small crew of golf heretics tried to convince doubters that Ross Bendelow were actually two people. Egged on by Brad Klein, who assured us we were not crazy, we banded together to propose a restoration. We were initially scorned but prevailed. We hired Ron Prichard and began the process. He held a seance with a Ouiji board, spoke with Ross and Bendelow resulting in his delivery of an inspired and empathetic restoration. This supported our premise that Ross Bendelow was actually Tom Bendelow and Donald Ross, they both came to Iowa, and both did some pretty cool golfy things.

Prichard, Tyler Rae and Tom Feller planned, cut, scraped, cut, burned, drained, cut, shaped, and resurrected an outstanding place to play golf. Because of the support of the majority of club membership and passionate curiosity from this GCA community (who normal folks are afraid to approach at a party) we began getting visitors. Shout out to Pat Craig, Jack Crisham, Jeff Shelman and Jason Topp as GCA first responders making Pre-Waze, Rand Macnally directed voyages. More crews from GolfWeek, GCA, GolfCourseArchitecture, Golf, GolfDigest,Top100courses, Fried Egg, GeekedOnGolf and other great “Golf Positive” entities began to visit and spread the word. Then Tom, Joe, Ran and Chris came through. Soon, we happily hosted a bourbon-fueled Midwest Mashie at CRCC and the outstanding Davenport CC.

Then with support from the Iowa Golf Association, the USGA decided we would be a nice place to host one of the nation’s 12 annual National Championships, and here we are, host to the 2019 Sr. Women’s Amateur. This is the first national championship held in Iowa in over 30 years.
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2019/u-s--senior-women-s-amateur.html#!latest

No, it won't be on TV, it is not a Solheim nor a Champions event. Shane, Brad and Julie won't be commentating. There are no slow motion ShotLink animation graphics of "CRCC Hole 6" on Fox. Oakmont is not impressed. But make no mistake, we are excited as hell. We are thrilled given that a scant 6 years ago, you could stand in a fairway at noon and be shrouded in dank shadow... light could neither enter, nor escape. #blackhole

No, we are not Merion, there will be no blimp, but today, our restored Bendelow/Ross/Prichard track is dressed in all of the USGA flagstick, tee marker, and banner regalia associated with a National Championship, and it is glowing.

Great golf architecture matters... and for us, made a difference. It is a joy to get a note from a GCAer, "I was thinking of heading to Iowa,.. will you be around?" Our restoration posse still has haters, but that’s life. The haters make me all the more grateful to say Thank You to all of the golf architecture crackheads for the support.  We are having a ball.

-Vaughn

PS: Ryan, I have your national membership pre approved, all you need to do is fill it in and sign. oh sorry SShhhhh
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:37:20 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Great post! Good luck with your event!!

I used to go to the quad cities for work and played Davenport CC half dozen times, all pre-renovation work. Never made it to Cedar Rapids and don't have work reasons to bring me back from the Bay Area... and that bums me out!

W

Richard Fisher

Kudos for one of the most simply joyous posts I have seen on GCA in ages. Super stuff and v well done! As it happens my core club (RStD Harlech) is hosting the British equivalent next month, so let's hope that we all have a great time on both sides of the Atlantic and, most importantly, that the competitors really enjoy themselves.

Jason Topp

Peter Pallotta

wonderful post, Vaughn
happy for all involved.
you wrote: ‘great golf architecture matters’.
I agree, but I think it matters not so much because it’s ‘golf architecture’ as because it’s ‘great’.
Good work and ‘good works’ are one and the same.
Best
P

Ira Fishman

Simply terrific. Vision plus persistence and good decisions truly pay off. Congrats!

Ira

Jeff Schley

I really enjoyed CRCC and if I got back to the area more often would join as a national for sure.  It is understated elegance.  I commend the restoration as somebody cared enough and paid enough (very reasonably btw) to give it a wash and carnuba wax! Yes Iowa is the middle of nowhere, heck I went to college there, and maybe far away from many. Playing a DR restored should prod those of us who appreciate the classic courses to stray off the highway a little and go out of your way, for you will be rewarded with a joyous round.
Vaughn I know your energy and personal efforts were many, so congratulations from all of us and keep the shine at CRCC.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Clayman

I'm ready to jump in the car.

I have two questions;
 1. Have you approached that really good tree loving muni in Des Moines ?

2. How do you respond to all these architecture geeks, that have tried to tell you "track" is ill-considered, as a term for a golf course? Or have they all been too polite to point it out?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

V_Halyard

I'm ready to jump in the car.

I have two questions;
 1. Have you approached that really good tree loving muni in Des Moines ?

2. How do you respond to all these architecture geeks, that have tried to tell you "track" is ill-considered, as a term for a golf course? Or have they all been too polite to point it out?

ha thx
yes we have couple of funny Des Moines stories. Its a struggle. There is restoration golf gold buried in the Muny and Private hills of Des Moines and Ames.

RE: "Track" - I don't mind the term "track", my golf loving kid uses it so Im good with it. And when people get up close to correct me, they see all the blood stains and battle scars having surviving an actual restoration, they think twice bothering me about it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:28:39 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

I really enjoyed CRCC and if I got back to the area more often would join as a national for sure.  It is understated elegance.  I commend the restoration as somebody cared enough and paid enough (very reasonably btw) to give it a wash and carnuba wax! Yes Iowa is the middle of nowhere, heck I went to college there, and maybe far away from many. Playing a DR restored should prod those of us who appreciate the classic courses to stray off the highway a little and go out of your way, for you will be rewarded with a joyous round.
Vaughn I know your energy and personal efforts were many, so congratulations from all of us and keep the shine at CRCC.
A true golf pal side-trips/swings by for a round in Iowa on the way back to work in Saudi Arabia. That was some serious GCA-ism. Thanks for hanging and making the trip!

Adam Clayman

V - I believe it was the late great Boab Huntley that introduced the treehouse to the cringe inducing effects of hearing that term used, amongst purported architectural aficianados.  ;D

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PCCraig

Congrats!

Cedar Rapids CC is a special place and a terrific golf course. Glad to see the USGA recognizing the work and the club!
H.P.S.

Tony_Chapman

Man. Love this post. Kudos to you and your club and their sticktuitiveness in getting the project done and hosting the Women's Senior Amateur.

goldj

I had the honor to play CRCC with Vaughn and a couple of other GCA geeks last week.  Vaughn is a rock star and without him and a small group of energized individuals with remarkable vision and the ability to achieve great things without a lot of money, this spectacular restoration could not have happened. 

Congrats to everyone at CRCC.  There’s a lesson here for all of us.

Paul Rudovsky

Simply wonderful restoration...and one of the best GCA posts ever.  And let m tell you, them folks in Iowa do know how to grow grass!

Mike_Young

Vaughn,Proud of you and for you and  your club.  Hope it has been a good week.  Did my grumpy little buddy RP show up at all?Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Buck Wolter

I had the chance to walk around CRCC for a couple hours yesterday — course looked spectacular, nice and bouncy and the greens seemed to be giving them fits. Did see a great birdie on 18 but assume that was one of the few there.

It was a little weird to see at least 3/4 of the competitors in carts, I had no idea that would be the case — there are a few hills but it’s a great walk.

Only disappointment was no Vaughn siting.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back