GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

A course you 'can play every day'...until you can't!

(1/8) > >>

Peter Pallotta:
Has anyone had that experience?
I'm currently having it: a course (by Thompson disciple Robbie Robertson) that I found this year, immediately liked, saw & appreciated its architecture, and was sure I'd found the home course that I could 'play every day' (which in my world means 'fairly often'). But 7 rounds later I'm realizing that I was wrong -- the charm (or most of it) is gone. It's an easy walk, a compact routing, a mix of hole 'types', some varied green complexes, with some easy and some hard holes, some short and some long. But maybe because it's not a windy site, or because of the maintenance practices (always very green and lush and watered) -- but the course I 'could play every day' has already grown almost tedious. There isn't nearly the 'architecture' and choices and ways to play it and recovery options that I thought.
Have you had that happen?

Sean_A:
To be honest Pietro, I have never come across the course I want to play everyday. Its an almost impossible ask because I have many wants.  I definitely lean toward a heathland course and Woking is the first course I think of.  However, in the winter, I want a bone dry course and that means links...heathland courses simply don't compare.  I also really enjoy hilltop courses, but only on days when I know the weather cooperate  8)  I guess that makes me a 3 or 4 courses everyday kinda guy.

Ciao

Thomas Dai:
A reversible course might do the trick! :)
It would still need the right climate/soil type etc though.
atb

Peter Pallotta:
Just to clarify:
I've read that phrase so often, and over the years posters have described dozens of courses as ones they could/wish they could play every day, that I thought many such courses actually existed...at least, as in my case, for a brief bit of time.
Was wondering if others too had once thought they'd found such a place

David Kelly:

--- Quote from: Peter Pallotta on July 16, 2019, 02:46:58 PM ---Was wondering if others too had once thought they'd found such a place

--- End quote ---
Playing golf everyday seems like a kind of mini Hell to me but I did find a place where I've played over 700 times in the last 18 years and haven't grown tired of yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version