News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: Richard Goodale
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »

Best wishes Rich, bless you! :-*

Lou_Duran

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
I emailed Rich to send on my best wishes and Josie responded on his behalf. I'm not sure that Rich has had any access to his email or internet while he has been in hospital but I've asked Josie to send on everyone's best wishes and let him know we are all thinking of him.

Niall

Please know that I had Josie's permission to start this thread and that she has seen the outpouring of best wishes and love for Richard and the Goodale family.  Josie is seeking access to the site through Ran to respond directly on Richard's behalf.  Apparently his medication has been sorted out and he may be able to start checking the site and his email in the near future.  Thanks to all for the encouraging words, thoughts, and prayers.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
F#@k that dreaded cancer!

Fight the good fight, Rich.  We are all here pulling for you!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Alex Miller

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »

Fight on Rich ...

From a few years ago:

An irreplaceable part of multiple King Putters to me and many others. Rooting for you Rich!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »
In the complexities of GCA, I have met Rich and Fat Baldy Drummer (Two Scotts of different origins) in the cartball capital of the USA - Disneyworld.

In the more complex world of cancer, I suggest that Rich re-connects with Geoffrey Childs and Pat Mucci. Geoffrey was VERY helpful when my sister had breast cancer, and Pat runs a golf tournament every summer that funds some VERY forward thinking cancer research.

#AeternusUmbra
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »
Thanks Lou.

Tough news, and a bit unsettling for many of us.  A golf club atlas living legend who we hope lives on for many years.
Knowledgeable and understanding about golf and golf architecture, more so than most of us.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »

I hadn't heard this, but Rich always has something interesting to add on this discussion board.  We're rooting for you big time!

Ken Fry

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
All the best Rich!!  Sending positive thoughts your way!!

Ken

James Brown

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »
Best wishes.  Gonna play Dornoch with you some day.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2019, 09:34:36 AM »
Rich: Hang tough and don't let this get the best of you.  You and Josie are a great team and together you should come out of this as another challenge that you faced together and won. 

Cheers

Steve Lang

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2019, 11:31:07 PM »
 8) Rich,

Ms Sheila, a 2x survivor, who you met and shared a laugh with at the 5th Major at Dismal a few years ago over her hole in one says get yourself to MD Anderson in Houston, if at all possible, they are the standard for dealing with Cancer of unknown primary...  you're in our prayers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:46:13 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matt MacIver

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2019, 09:10:19 PM »
Good luck and best wishes Rich to you and your family. Golf is patiently waiting for your return.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »
Best wishes to Mr. Goodale. 

Jay Mickle

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »

With Rich and Ran at his wedding in September 2016 in Edinburgh. Thoughts go out to Rich and Josie.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:22:42 AM by Jay Mickle »
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »
Sending good thoughts your way Rich!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:12 AM »
When I was looking for a port in the storm I landed in Aberdour and Rich was good enough to "sponsor" my refugium.

We entered the Aberdour GC medal and I had the pleasure of befriending my caddie and town postman/gardner, Stuart, and afterwards his lovely wife Donna from whom I still receive Christmas cards. Rich had promoted my arrival as a skilled player from a beastly difficult top 50 course in America, Victoria, and much was expected by the field. My 80 something over the short but sporty home course, which starts with two one shotters debriefed everyone so I regrouped to my next most developed skill, pubbing.
 Josie responded to the not uncommon curse of friends and spouses of true GCA'ers, the mysterious golf pilgram suddenly hovering in one's life, with grace and humor. I so appreciate their hospitality while I hung out in their village. I hope they know that the many folks whose lives they touched all are intensely connected to Rich's stuggle and feel the  good energy we sending their way. God bless and protect.
CheersWard
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:21 PM »
Dear Rich and Josie,

So sorry to hear this. I still treasure playing with you both at Aberdour. I can happily conjure up the memory of apres-golf conversation with a frizzante glass of cider in the clubhouse.

Are you dealing with NHS?

I would highly recommend coming back to the States to Sloan-Kettering in NYC.

My wife Blair's cousin Issabella de la Houssaye Crane has stage 4 lung cancer and could barely walk 17 months ago. With treatments from Sloan she completed the iron man triathalon in Hawaii last fall and is back scaling high peaks around the world.

Just google her name and you will be amazed. She was on the front page of the Sunday NY Times sport section just a month or two ago ascending the highest peak in the Andes with her daughter.

Otherwise, thoughts and prayers like everyone else.

When you are feeling better ask me about my discoveries re: my wife Blair's ancestors in Upper Largo!

Best to you both!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:45:06 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2019, 11:57:49 PM »
This is to let everyone know that Richard has been transferred to an area hospital for hospice care.  He is more settled in a place where he is able to receive the palliative care he needs.  Josie expressed that it gives her great comfort to know that Richard has so many “solid and loving friends” from the site.   She will likely communicate with the group when she is able.  Let’s keep Richard and his family in our thoughts and prayers during these very difficult times.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2019, 06:01:25 AM »
Thanks Lou for the updates.

I am on here long enough to remember when Rich moved from San Francisco to Scotland. It was early, so I think he was surprised when he ended up seeing more GCAers in Scotland than he did in The Bay Area! It is a tribute to what Ran has created, eccentricities and all.

On this "Open Weekend", best wishes and prayers for Rich and his family.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

George Pazin

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
Well said, Mike.

Thanks for the update, Lou.

For those who haven't read them, Rich has some beautiful pieces on this wonderful site. I will try to dig up some links shortly.

My apologies if those links don't work or aren't legible - the new site doesn't like my early 2000s version of UBB......

-----
EDIT: my links don't work at all.

Go to Best of Golf and search Goodale. You will find many beautiful pieces from a beautiful mind.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:18:24 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JLahrman

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2019, 10:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the updates Lou. One of my parents' best friends (used to be our next door neighbors) was transferred to hospice a few weeks ago and it has been a godsend for both him and his family. His quality of life has been greatly improved. Hopefully the same will be true for Rich. Too much of this type of news lately.

JGoodale

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2019, 07:58:33 AM »
A brief hello to everyone from Josie, Richard's wife.
Thank you Lou, for updating the GCA team on Richard, and to Ran for granting me access to the Atlas.
I am overwhelmed by the messages of support at this really tough time; and for your views on Richard's contributions to this site over the years. I am very proud of him.
Than you Jay and Alex, for the pics, and Ward, for your review of your Aberdour day. I am so touched.
I have updated Richard on your remarks and reviews, and in his inimitable style, he voiced something like "I know I wasn't always popular, but I gave my honest views". Words to that effect.

I will be back on GCA in due course. Richard is comfortable and getting amazing, loving care at the hospice in Dunfermline.
Thank you all.

Josie

BCrosby

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »
Josie -

Thank you for posting.

Please tell Rich that he is wrong. He has always been popular, if not beloved, here. Especially when there were disagreements. Rich is brilliant; we all relished our exchanges with him. I hope to have many more.

Rich has been in my thoughts often over the last several days. I feel sure that is also true for many others here.

Bob

Mike Hendren

Re: Richard Goodale New
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »
I do not need to know a man’s faith to firmly believe that he will be healed.  My prayer for Rich and Josie is that his healing will be in this lifetime.

Rich is that rare down-to-earth intellectual whose company is coveted, even if that means getting taken to the woodshed at Bandon Trails and Chechessee.

My best compliment is that he has married well and neither Kathie nor I will forget their hosting us for lunch at Royal Dornoch.

Grace and Peace to you both. I wish you strength and courage for the living of each moment.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:29:23 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
Josie -

Thank you for posting.

Please tell Rich that he is wrong. He has always been popular, if not beloved, here. Especially when there were disagreements. Rich is brilliant; we all relished our exchanges with him. I hope to have many more.

Rich has been in my thoughts often over the last several days. I feel sure that is also true for many others here.

Bob

+1!

And many times over, as Bob says.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back