News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

What makes someone an expert on something?
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »
Please share your thoughts.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

Re: What makes someone an expert on something?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »
18 professional majors is a pretty good indicator. An excellent pen writes smoothly & evenly, and feels comfortable in your hand; it ideally serves (with near perfection) its intended function. An expert surgeon transplants a dying man's heart and makes him well. A worthy religious brings spiritual peace to a deeply troubled soul. A leading physicist demonstrates the proof of a thorny Einsteinian theory. And an expert gca designs & builds a magnificent golf course that serves every golfer exceptionally well for decades. To borrow a line from one of Martin Scorsese's earliest films: 'You pay for your sins on the streets, not in the church'.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:29:51 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »
Any successful leader is an expert on exactly what they prefer, everyone else is just a follower. The answer of which you may be is best found behind you.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
Any successful leader is an expert on exactly what they prefer, everyone else is just a follower. The answer of which you may be is best found behind you.

This is a pretty good starting point, I think.

The reason I asked this is that I recently read a lengthy article on Gregg Popovich on ESPN's website, which focused on his love of wine. Many were quoted in the article citing Pop's expertise. Some even stated he knew more about wine than basketball.

He's undeniably an expert in basketball. But what qualifies him as an expert on wine? His love of it? His knowledge? I'm not clear on how that compares to someone in the industry, who has devoted his or her life to it.

I will add, they mentioned later in the article that he has his own label, but I don't know how involved he is in the actual production.

In my own experiences as a lowly t shirt printer, I still learn on a weekly or even daily basis how limited my knowledge is, and I've been doing it for 25 years. And I also see things that a new, fresh perspective brings that I overlooked for a long time.

The current Jeopardy champ introduced a new paradigm into the game - he clears the board by attacking the high money clues first, as opposed to the traditional manner of working down through the categories. This allows him to build a huge lead over his competitors that ultimately proves insurmountable. The show's been on for 30+ years, yet he was the first to take this approach.

Even the golf architect following others should know more than the "experts" who haven't actually built a course.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 01:07:01 PM »
Doing anything for a long time does not make you an expert. I'm 59 years old and still can't figure out how to properly wipe my own ass. Ask my wife, the evidence is behind me. In just a few seconds I'm going to give it the old college try and then go on a long bike ride. It's a story as old as time. RIP Tommy John.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
Would you say you are an expert on building roads? That's an honest question, nothing nefarious intended. I don't consider myself an expert on printing t's, but I know more than most anyone who hasn't spent a long time doing it. I'd guess a court would consider either of us experts in our field, for purposes of expert testimony, but I don't know those standards, either.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »
In some cases purely the individuals own ego and vanity.
Atb

Peter Bowman

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »
This is an interesting question.  In dentistry there's always the question of how to define an "expert".  A friend of mine who taught me how to do dental implants 7 years ago told me "you're an expert on something when you know more or have more experience than another on a certain subject."  I liked that answer because it simplifies it.

I am teaching a study group session on implants to the local docs in my area.  Am I an implant guru?  No, but I know a lot more than my local peers, especially when doing digital planning and 3D printing surgical guides, and I'm qualified to teach them what I know.

I also teach women to play golf at my local club in efforts to expand interest in golf.  AM I a swing guru?  No way.  But at a 4.5hcp, I know a lot more than those who want to learn to consistently hit a golf ball in the forward direction. 

So basically you’re only an expert in relation to certain others.  I define it as a relative term rather than an absolute
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:08:29 PM by Peter Bowman »

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
So basically you’re only an expert in relation to certain others.  So basically I define it as a relative term rather than an absolute

I like this thought a lot, well put.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
Would you say you are an expert on building roads? That's an honest question, nothing nefarious intended. I don't consider myself an expert on printing t's, but I know more than most anyone who hasn't spent a long time doing it. I'd guess a court would consider either of us experts in our field, for purposes of expert testimony, but I don't know those standards, either.

I won't speak for myself but the next time you or someone you love is driving on our great American highway system say a little prayer for those who have built the road beneath you.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »

Peter B's comment reminds me of what my mentors told me when sending me out for field visits the first year in my career.  Don't be worried because you still know more than they do.  LOL.

My boss called one weekend only a few weeks after I had started, and left a message that I needed to be in Michigan to perform a "static pressure test" on an newly installed irrigation system.  I had no idea, but figured I could bluff my way through it.  Fortunately, he had an individual he trusted there to sort of guide me through the ropes.  That actually happened a few times.

I have told this story before, but they sent me to a private club to discuss some plans. I had drawn them and could explain them well, but they were expecting the big gun, who had also cut a deal to credit any of their fine lunches as the first hour to reduce the bill.  I explain the plan, we go to lunch, and while the committee orders steak, lobster, etc. they lean over and tell me, "The grilled cheese is good."  LOL, luckily I like grilled cheese.

For some snarky answers, "have a briefcase and come from out of town" is often heard, as is "being a member on the greens committee" since many of them clearly think they know more than their consulting architect. That is one reason I have rarely worked at equity clubs, I just don't like dealing with 10 or 300 bosses.

I have found that coming with a sterling recommendation from at least one club member helps them respect you as an architect.  I also have seen where being direct and firm, but not rude works wonders.  At a recent site visit, a committee person suggested it would be best to split the project up into a bunch of small ones, for example.  I politely but firmly stated that it hadn't been my experience for a few good reasons,  1)Better Billy Bunker (and other liners) are installed by "certified installers" who are busy enough that they have turned down less than 9 hole projects, and even less than 18 holes, 2) Members will be annoyed at constant disruption, 3) It will cost 50% more, maybe even higher.  They respected that far more than the old "We can do it any way you want to" approach.  Obviously, some flexibility is good, but being firm in your convictions goes a long way. 

In the end, it goes back to an old consultants saying, never forget they are looking for recommendations and solutions, not "feels" (as in I strongly "feel" this is the best solution)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
10000 hours should do it...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
Einstein thought if you could explain something complicated to a child, it was a sign you really understood your subject.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 05:24:41 PM »
Vast & extensive broad-based knowledge,
Where to find information resources,
Ability to communicate,
Know what you do NOT know,
Know how to apply what you do know.

(I did not find this through an internet search or read this anywhere; this is my first instinctive response - and likely open to refinement or rejection.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:30:05 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 04:29:45 AM »
To me an expert means you've convinced others you are an expert.

Why is someone paid to be an expert witness in court?  My understanding is they have a resume and are able to speak in such a way that the jury thinks they are an expert so their opinions matter.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »
Well, simply put, a very large ego can make someone a perceived expert.

corey miller

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »

I think you can/will be thought an expert on most any topic if you attend Harvard and a few other schools.  Probably helps to live in the right neighborhood to boot. 

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Easy...

A Rater Card.  ;D

By definition: "One with the special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject."

My areas of expertise:
1. Shoe tying
2. Hat wearing
3. Lighthearted responses in threads.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »
I'm curious as to why this question was asked..... ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
I think it’s a cumulative thing:
Training -> Education -> Experience -> Practice -> Peer Evaluation -> Giving Back.
Oh, and fucking up big time, on occasion! (And learning from it).
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
Easiest definition of all. Recursive yes, but easy.

An expert is someone, who is deemed to be an expert by other experts.

It's the only sensible definition. After all, you wouldn't want non-experts to determine who is an expert, would you?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
I think we know who to ask....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GqJna9hpTE

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 01:18:08 PM »
I think it’s a cumulative thing:
Training -> Education -> Experience -> Practice -> Peer Evaluation -> Giving Back.
Oh, and fucking up big time, on occasion! (And learning from it).
F.

Yes, not making the same mistake twice is always a good thing.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
Interesting thread: many posts reflect a cynicism (for lack of a better word) about experts, and by extension expertise. I wonder if the answers would've been different 50 or 80 years ago, and whether the information age -- with the internet & social media etc -- has led to a false sense of knowledge among many of us, a mistaking of 'facts' for wisdom and of 'comprehension' for expertise. Truth be told, the way most of us have engaged and argued with the professionals around here (past and present) does suggest that we've all grown wise in our own conceits. I'm not advocating for mindless deference, but for some reasonable humility -- a modest recognition that, yes indeed, the professionals know much more than we do, and that we probably don't know half of what we don't know, and that compared to most of us, every single one of them is an expert. But that brings us back to the very devaluing of expertise that I note in this thread. I suppose that smart & successful people don't quite like believing that there are others who simply know more than they do, and who have in fact achieved an expertise that has eluded many of the rest of us -- and so dismissing the very notion of 'the expert' serves as a soothing balm to our bruised egos.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:23:55 PM by Peter Pallotta »

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
I suppose that smart & successful people don't quite like believing that there are others who simply know more than they do, and who have in fact achieved an expertise that has eluded many of the rest of us -- and so dismissing the very notion of 'the expert' serves as a soothing balm to our bruised egos.

I don't think people are dismissing or mocking the notion of experts, I think they're dismissing or mocking the notion of some of those they've seen identified as experts. I sure don't think most on here are lacking in their respect for those posters in the industry, it simply is difficult to remember sometimes who those people are, so they are met with the same skepticism usually reserved for those posters like us. :)

Kalen -

I did mention it earlier, the reading of the article about Gregg Popovich's expertise in wine and the Jeopardy champ who has obliterated all the records, mostly by approaching the game in a different manner. It's nothing more than that.

When I think about the GP article, I mostly come to the conclusion that the author likely knows little about the subject, so he or she (can't remember, sorry) is blown away by Pop's knowledge. But what the author really should be noticing is his expertise in coaching and people relations - the wine and dinners are merely the medium for conveying his true expertise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back