GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Pine Tree

(1/4) > >>

Ryan Hillenbrand:
Had a chance to play here a few weeks back and surprised it hasn't been brought up in over a decade.

I remember hearing the name "Pine Tree" dropped by my 80 yr old boss as if it was the place back in the 60s and 70s. Trying to think of a comparison to today where pros are members due to its difficulty and share it with the affluent on equal footing - maybe Whisper Rock?

Considering it was built in the "dark ages" by a guy I had little exposure to, when I saw the flat landscape and copious amounts of greenside bunkers I thought this would be a place I wouldn't care for -the poster child for what was great then but isn't now. And after getting my teeth kicked in score-wise that could have been the case. But I ended up really liking it. It demanded shot making, holes were distinct from one another, and the greens were incredible.

I'm still a neophyte here and I think this was the first Wilson course I've played. For those who have played it and liked it,  what makes it appreciable in an age where most of us gravitate to minimalist style design?

Kyle Harris:
What isn't minimalist about Pine Tree?

Steve_ Shaffer:
Ben Hogan:  " The best flat course in the country"

Frequently mentioned here.

Some good comments at https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/pine-tree

Ryan Hillenbrand:

--- Quote from: Kyle Harris on March 26, 2019, 05:48:54 PM ---What isn't minimalist about Pine Tree?

--- End quote ---

I suppose from my view, almost all pushed up greens surrounded by bunkers on an otherwise dead flat course, water hazards, gigantic long tee boxes in many cases,... If I'm wrong Kyle ( and I could be), tell me where you're seeing the minimalism

Kyle Harris:

--- Quote from: Ryan Hillenbrand on March 26, 2019, 06:13:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kyle Harris on March 26, 2019, 05:48:54 PM ---What isn't minimalist about Pine Tree?

--- End quote ---

I suppose from my view, almost all pushed up greens surrounded by bunkers on an otherwise dead flat course, water hazards, gigantic long tee boxes in many cases,... If I'm wrong Kyle ( and I could be), tell me where you're seeing the minimalism

--- End quote ---

It's not that you're wrong or right but I find that an interesting dichotomy. Are the clearly added features at least natural looking? The photos I've seen of Pine Tree are aesthetically very pleasing. There are a lot of features, but they are executed in a unobtrusive manner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version