GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Is 7-8 Handicap The Best Skill Level To Appreciate Golf Architecture?

(1/14) > >>

Tim_Weiman:
IMO 7-8 HCP is the best skill level to appreciate golf architecture. Fundamentally, I think it comes down to balancing two things:[/font]

1) enough ability to hit some really good (maybe even hard) shots[/font]
2) not so much skill the player knows he will always pull off the shot[/font]

That means a player has to think before playing a shot that is just on the edge of his skill level. The golfer has to stay positive in his thinking, but also has to “manage”, that is make a realistic assessment of whether he is likely to execute the shot properly. In short, the golfer has to think risk-reward given a number of considerations that might effect his score, e.g., his lie, the stance, the distance, the wind, the penalty for missing right or left, long or short, etc.[/font]

Yes, the expert player, a plus man, has to also think about such things, but not to the same degree, I believe. Such I player isn’t simply more able to hit really good shot, the probability of him doing so is much greater.[/font]

What about the 15-20 handicap player? Obviously, such a player will not be too consistent like the expert player. There is something good about that, IMO. However, the 15-20 handicap player also probably doesn’t have the skill to play really challenging and fun shots that the hole design might call for.[/font]

Thus, as I see it, the 7-8 handicap is the sweet spot. It is the skill level best suited to appreciate golf architecture.[/font]

Kalen Braley:
Tim,

I think this is an interesting topic and one worthy of discussion.  My only point of clarification would be to replace Appreciate with "Interface" or "Interact with"

As a highcapper myself, I'm pretty convinced I have the ability to appreciate golf architecture even if I lack the ability to do something about it most of the time.  ;)

Tommy Williamsen:
Before I got OLD I was a 2, now about 6. I played 1000 rounds with a guy who was always around 18. I was amazed how much he saw, even though he could not hit the shots required. Often he saw more than I did. It could say something about me, but I am not convinced that handicap always makes a difference.

SL_Solow:
I am with Tommy on this.  I think the great architects had a variety of skill levels.  Colt was an excellent player, Dr. Mac not really.  There is a wide variety among the current "greats".  Yet across this spectrum there is the ability to both appreciate strategic and aesthetic possibilities and to translate them on the ground.  Similarly, i suggest that a wide variety of players can appreciate the differences in architecture regardless of their ability to solve the problems presented with their respective games. 

Cal Seifert:
Didn’t C.B MacDonald say Seth Raynor couldn’t differenciate a tennis ball from a golf ball?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version