GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Great greens that no longer exist

(1/9) > >>

Ally Mcintosh:
I’m sure this topic must have been touched on before but here goes:

I was just looking at Hutchinson’s 1897 book and saw a photo of the most magnificent looking green which was the old Hades green at Sandwich (the par 3 8th hole at the time I believe?)... anyway, this one is long gone and I wish it wasn’t.

There were a few good looking greens at the pre-Colt Portrush on show also.

What other great greens have disappeared? Mount Zion at Machrie maybe? The 13th at Dooks...

What else? Photos would make this thread all the better of course...

Tom_Doak:
Sitwell Park

The 13th at High Pointe (and maybe the 7th and 8th, too)

Ally Mcintosh:
Must be others...

What about great greens that might have been erroneously changed / renovated / moved in recent years?

I know the 9th at Westward Ho! seems to be due to remain after a scare.

You could argue the old 11th at Lahinch although it’s still there for winter play.

Thomas Dai:
Not sure how 'great' the old version was, but didn't RLGC/Hoylake move a green (16th?) because it was too close to a road.
What about the original 16th at ANGC?
12th at Minchinhampton Old - original green within ramparts and extremely adjacent to the road.

atb

Adam Lawrence:

--- Quote from: Thomas Dai on March 20, 2019, 05:14:35 AM ---Not sure how 'great' the old version was, but didn't RLGC/Hoylake move a green (16th?) because it was too close to a road.
What about the original 16th at ANGC?
12th at Minchinhampton Old - original green within ramparts and extremely adjacent to the road.

atb

--- End quote ---

Colt's Royal, the seventeenth in the traditional routing, the first in the new Open routing. Regarded by Darwin as one of the greatest holes in the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version