News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

US Amateur venues announced through 2026
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:56:57 PM »
LIBERTY CORNER, N.J. (Feb. 21, 2019) – The United States Golf Association (USGA) today announced sites for six U.S. Amateur Championships, from 2021 through 2026. Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club will host the U.S. Amateur in 2021 and will be followed by Ridgewood (N.J.) Country Club in 2022 and Cherry Hills Country Club, in Cherry Hills Village, Colo., in 2023. The 2024, 2025 and 2026 championships will be held at Hazeltine National Golf Club, in Chaska, Minn.; The Olympic Club, in San Francisco, Calif.; and Merion Golf Club, in Ardmore, Pa., respectively.

2021 Oakmont
2022 Ridgewood
2023 Cherry Hills
2024 Hazeltine
2025 Olympic
2026 Merion
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jim Nugent

Re: US Amateur venues announced through 2026
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
Cherry Hills surprises me most of that list, because of its (short) length.  Will they have to turn the fairways into bowling alleys, and let the rough grow, to keep it challenging -- sort of like what they did to Merion at the U.S. Open?  Or can they stretch the course out by moving tees back? 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
Cherry Hills is like 7700 yards. Even at altitude it can handle match play.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
The 2020's will be a busy decade for Olympic. US Women's Open in 2021. US Am in 2025. PGA in 2028.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:14 PM »
What a daily double in the DelVal with the 2026 PGA Championship as well at Aronimink!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Eric LeFante

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:33 PM »
I’m very interested to see the stroke play co-host for Ridgewood.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
What a daily double in the DelVal with the 2026 PGA Championship as well at Aronimink!

Cobbs Creek should be used for the medal play.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
I've wondered why SFGC never sees any of this action.  Is the course too short or just not interested in all the bother?

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 10:54:39 AM »
I highly suspect that this mean's Merion will host the 2030 U.S. Open to celebrate the Centennial of Bobby Jones' Grand Slam.

I'd be 71 years old, so hope I'm around to see it.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
Cobbs Creek should be used for the medal play.

Mike,

I like it.   

It could be too tough for them, though.   ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Blain

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
I've wondered why SFGC never sees any of this action.  Is the course too short or just not interested in all the bother?
Both

Scott Weersing

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »

I thought it was strange that they are not taking the Amateur to places that want to host a US Open in the future. Like Southern Hills (hosted in 2009) but maybe it is too hot in August. After three straight public courses, Pebble, Pinehurst, Bandon, they are going back to the private courses route. I would have liked to have seen Streamsong, or.... Not Torrey Pines.

What other public courses should be considered for the Amateur?

Eric LeFante

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:30:52 PM »

I thought it was strange that they are not taking the Amateur to places that want to host a US Open in the future. Like Southern Hills (hosted in 2009) but maybe it is too hot in August. After three straight public courses, Pebble, Pinehurst, Bandon, they are going back to the private courses route. I would have liked to have seen Streamsong, or.... Not Torrey Pines.

What other public courses should be considered for the Amateur?

Maybe Chambers Bay will get an Amateur before it gets another Open. Erin Hills last hosted the Amateur in 2011.

Bethpage Black can challenge anyone and it would be cool to see the Red as the companion course but I'm guessing they are only interested in the events that bring in a lot of revenue.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »
Cherry Hills surprises me most of that list, because of its (short) length.  Will they have to turn the fairways into bowling alleys, and let the rough grow, to keep it challenging -- sort of like what they did to Merion at the U.S. Open?  Or can they stretch the course out by moving tees back?

They played the Am there in 2012, at its current length I believe. No one went terribly low in their stroke play round. 64 was the lowest, if I recall correctly.

They also had the 2014 BMW (PGA Tour Playoffs event, formerly the Western Open, more or less) there, and again the course held its own. Winning score for the week was -14 and there was a dispersion of guys over par, as well. They narrow the fairways a bit, but really the key is that those greens are small and pretty sloped and they keep them firm. I remember both the ams and the pros bombing drives and then going mad as they realized, too late, that trying to approach some of those greens from 100 yards with a lob wedge isn't really the ideal shot.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 07:11:08 AM »
So happy for Ridgewood! Todd Raisch and his staff have been crushing it for years, glad they continue to get rewarded for their awesome work!

Dan Smoot

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »
Cherry Hills is like 7700 yards. Even at altitude it can handle match play.

It is a matter on how hard they want to make it.  List of winning scores on major tournaments at Cherry Hills.  1978 Andy North was survivalist golf.

1938   E
1941   -4   PGA stroke play medalist
1960   -4
1978   +1
1985   -6
1993   -6
2005   +3 Womens

Paul Jones

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 11:28:40 AM »
I would like too see more variety in the clubs hosting the Amateur. It should not be a Major venue, pick others clubs that have a great course that haven’t hosted a major in the last 20 years.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
I would like too see more variety in the clubs hosting the Amateur. It should not be a Major venue, pick others clubs that have a great course that haven’t hosted a major in the last 20 years.
At the end of the day, a club has to really want to host the US Am. It isn't a money maker for the club and the members lose the course for more than a week in prime season for much of the country. At the same time, the field is largely made up of college kids who bomb it, which can limit where it can be played.

I have some friends at Hazeltine and I'm glad they are getting another US Am. The club was formed with the clear goal of hosting big events. They are on a really nice run. In the next 10 years, they will host the Women's PGA, the USGA Junior, the US Am and a Ryder Cup. When they host the US Junior next year, they will have hosted seven different USGA championships (Open, Sr. Open, Women's Open, Mid-Am, Am, State Team and Junior) in a little more than 50 years of club history.

I think it is awesome when clubs want to do this.

Kevin Neary

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »
I’m very interested to see the stroke play co-host for Ridgewood.
I’d be surprised if it was anything other than Arcola.

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »

I’m under the impression it’s kind of a package deal with the US Open. It gives both the club and the USGA a test run of sorts. Of course, I could be completely mistaken, that’s merely my impression, not born of any insider knowledge.

They sure as heck should do that before another Open at Shinney.... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Senior

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
So happy for Ridgewood! Todd Raisch and his staff have been crushing it for years, glad they continue to get rewarded for their awesome work!

Cheers to that!!!!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 12:37:51 PM »

I’m under the impression it’s kind of a package deal with the US Open. It gives both the club and the USGA a test run of sorts. Of course, I could be completely mistaken, that’s merely my impression, not born of any insider knowledge.

I also think the USGA uses the carrott of if you host the US Amatuer, Senior Amatuer, Mid Am, Women's Am etc. then we can evaluate the venue for a shot at a US Open.  We see that in the TV deal, which I love as we get TV coverage of many more USGA events now so that was successfully leveraged.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »

I also think the USGA uses the carrott of if you host the US Amatuer, Senior Amatuer, Mid Am, Women's Am etc. then we can evaluate the venue for a shot at a US Open.  We see that in the TV deal, which I love as we get TV coverage of many more USGA events now so that was successfully leveraged.

Your analysis rings true with LACC, Erin Hills and Chambers Bay. In the case of LACC it was a Walker Cup rather than a U.S. Amateur that preceded the U.S. Open. I thought Southern Hills might pop back up in the future site announcements but nothing through 2026. Their last big USGA event was the 2009 U.S. Amateur but the PGA was there in 2007.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb that Chambers Bay is done for future consideration, at least in the short long term sense, next 10 years.

Is Erin Hills in same boat?

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb that Chambers Bay is done for future consideration, at least in the short long term sense, next 10 years.

Is Erin Hills in same boat?

I think they will both get another one with Erin Hills going first. North of 10 years is probably a good bet. I saw that Southern Hills got the PGA in 2030 so I doubt they would want a U.S. Open within a few years of that as sites are announced through 2026.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back