News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

Re: Midwest USA GCA Knockout - 2019 (Reply #38 For Bracket)
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2019, 11:03:32 PM »
I unceremoniously lost my match today with George Smiltins at Canterbury Golf Club, 9 and 8 (yep, it was that ugly). I chose the wrong time to have my worst round in two years, but the course and wind conditions played a part in that. A great club with a beautiful course and a wicked set of greens. Some of the fastest and unfriendliest I've seen - especially if you're on the wrong side of the hole. Thanks to George for accommodating myself and Evan Flescher, who I had the privilege of playing with a second time. I plan to come back when I have my A-game with me, as today was a travesty.

George, best of luck to you the rest of the way and thanks again for having me as a guest. I enjoyed it, even though I struggled to show it while in the moment. Hard to express joy when you're not playing good as I'm sure any of us can attest, but I would have been better off sleeping in today had I known I'd play that bad.  ;D
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

SL_Solow

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2019, 06:08:30 PM »
Congratulations to Joe Melchiors who defeated me 3 and 2 yesterday.  I was happy to host Joe at Briarwood and we had a beautiful day to explore the course which was playing beautifully.  I played to my handicap but Joe was too tough,  I look forward to playing again.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »
Thanks to Mr Solow for hosting me at Briarwood, which as a course and a club, is a wonderful place. 

We had a great time and in the match I got and needed every lucky break possible...  balls stopping 6 inches from out of bounds, clear looks at greens from wrong fairways, etc.  I do look forward to playing again, but have a feeling the outcome will be quite different!

Shel, it probably won't make you feel any better, the luck ran out and Mike put a hurting on me Saturday...

-Joe

Jon Adkins

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Andy Buck had to forfeit our match due to scheduling, so I advanced to play Joe Melchiors yesterday at Chicago Highlands.

It was a perfect morning for golf, and Joe played well, outlasting me 3 & 1. The course was a lot of fun with a strong set of Par 3s and plenty of options around the greens. Great time. Thanks Joe for having me out and good luck in the next round!

JReese

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2019, 07:57:05 PM »
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Nigel Islam

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:03:47 PM by Nigel Islam »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
Is there a date the final will be played on or a to be completed date?  I may be back this fall for a surgery to my father and if in the Midwest would like to tag along and enjoy the best sandbaggers the GCA has to offer.😉
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

JReese

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »
Is there a date the final will be played on or a to be completed date?  I may be back this fall for a surgery to my father and if in the Midwest would like to tag along and enjoy the best sandbaggers the GCA has to offer.😉

I will be shocked if we make it to the final match.....believe the farthest previous years have gone is the semi-finals. Hopefully we get another match or two completed.
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

George Smiltins

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
Smiltins and Hill should have a result by Friday, 9/6.

Let’s do this guys!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
On August 9, Islam and Salmen played at the venerable Culver Academies golf course. Accompanied by John Mayhugh we enjoyed 27 holes of this Langford and Moreau masterpiece. Islam got off to a quick start, and staved off the eminent collapse by sinking a 20 foot bogey putt to halve the twelfth after losing the three preceding holes. Islam wins 3&2.

Steve was still playing when John and I left and might still be enjoying the course.....

JReese

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »

George Smiltins

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2019, 11:47:00 PM »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 06:33:05 PM by George Smiltins »

George Smiltins

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »
Brad Hill and I played our match today at Culver. I came out on top in 21 holes. Brad had a ho hum eagle on our 18th to extend the match. [/size]Just an amazing place. What a treat for those students. I was impressed with the conditioning for a sleepy weekday in September with only a few folks on the course.Cannot wait to get back and see the different pin locations.[/color]

Jeff Schley

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2019, 03:41:46 AM »
Brad Hill and I played our match today at Culver. I came out on top in 21 holes. Brad had a ho hum eagle on our 18th to extend the match. Just an amazing place. What a treat for those students. I was impressed with the conditioning for a sleepy weekday in September with only a few folks on the course.Cannot wait to get back and see the different pin locations.
Hey George, how did you guys get access?  I know quite a few families here in KSA send their students there for boarding school so they just play with their kids.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

George Smiltins

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Just a friendly email to the Facility Director. You’ll see on their golf page that they link to the Golf Club Atlas write-up so like minded folks.

Brad Engel

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »

This past Sunday Bill Steele and I teed it up at The Golf Club at Yankee Trace for our Knockout match. Yankee Trace previously served as host for the Dayton Open, a Nationwide Tour event, that ran from 1999 to 2003 with winners such as Guy Boros, Jason Buha, Todd Barranger, Ian Leggatt, and John Wilson. Designed by Gene Bates, the course was recognized as a Top 50 municipal golf course in the country with greens fees under $50.

For our match, we played the Hertiage and Legand nines. My preference was for the Legend side as it didn’t seem as hemmed in by housing. Where there was development, it was typically only on one side of the hole and set back from play. The best stretch of holes was 6-8 on the Legend side that meandered back through the most secluded wooded portion of the property.

Neither of us played our best golf, that said, most of the holes were still won with bogey or better. I was able to build a 3 up lead with 3 to play, but was unable to close out the match on 16 which would prove problematic as Bill stroked on the last two holes. He took advantage and won the last 3 to finish all square. Due to scheduling constraints (this young dad had to get home to help with the kiddo) we ended our riveting match the most anti-climactic way possible, with a coin flip. Bill flipped, I called, and tails never fails. Engel moves on in dramatic fashion. Great time with another GCAer!

JReese

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »

JReese

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2019, 07:23:27 PM »
Any scheduled matches on the horizon? 

Brad Engel

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
Kline had to bow out due to scheduling constraints, so Engel and Smiltins will be squaring off tomorrow at Langford's Portage Country Club in Akron.

George Smiltins

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
Brad won’t be able to make our 11am time tomorrow and is considering letting me proceed.

Any chance Melchiors and/or Islam can gas up the jet and head to Akron, Oh tomorrow and we put a bow on this?

Nigel Islam

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2019, 09:10:22 AM »
Brad won’t be able to make our 11am time tomorrow and is considering letting me proceed.

Any chance Melchiors and/or Islam can gas up the jet and head to Akron, Oh tomorrow and we put a bow on this?

I don't think I can make to Akron today. It's 8 hours away.

George Smiltins

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »
Nigel and I had our match today which I believe served as the Final. Beautiful fall day at Kirtland CC outside Cleveland. I came out on top 3 and 2. We both played pretty steady, but I was lucky enough to have a few more putts drop.

Thanks so much to James for organizing. Was an absolute blast getting to meet new friends from across the region, and play some great spots.

If any members of the Mashie tournament committee are reading, I’m more than happy to accept a sponsor invite for the Loop next year 😂.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2019, 02:44:44 AM »
Thanks for setting Kirtland CC up George! Great Day. Second year in a row I've lost out in the final to a Cleveland based player better than me. I tried convincing UM alum Bielawa that I was the Fab Five of the Midwest Knockout, but he was having none of that.

George is a terrific player. I'd highly recommend the East Captain for the Mashie take him up on his offer to take his talents to the Loop!

C. Sturges

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
Great job getting back to the finals Nigel!

Congratulations George!

Tom Allen

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »

Congratulations George!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back