GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Bandon - solo - late February

(1/6) > >>

Steve_Lovett:
Perhaps this has been covered (a hundred times) in the past, but please indulge me.

I'll be visiting my daughter who recently moved to Ashland, OR in late February and am considering tagging a few extra days onto the trip to visit Bandon. My visit would be during the last week of February and I'm interested to know what I should expect re: availability of golf and accommodations, course conditions (I'm familiar with the uncertainty of late Feb weather), recommendations about any aspect of the place, and anything else a solo first time visitor should know.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

- Steve

Emile Bonfiglio:
50/50 you will get any rooms as the resort. I'm booking some rounds now for Feb and one weekend has rooms the next doesn't, plenty of rooms/vrbo in bandon if needed. I doubt you will be able to get 36 a day in this late in the booking game so shoot for 18 and the preserve or 18 and then as many as you can play before it gets dark on another course. Also you could spend a whole afternoon at Shorty's and the Punchbowl.  BD gives the best chance for complete round if you go out after 1pm as it has the most light on the last holes.

Condition will be great, Grandma's meatloaf at McKee's is my favorite dish, buy lots of merch, try and find the bidden box near the 10th green,  the resort will be packed and it will be the time of your life. 

Scott Weersing:
I will be at Bandon from February 24 to 27, 2019. Let me know if you want to meet up for dinner or a drink.

The midweek should be less crowded than the weekend. This time of the year is very popular. When I was there in 2017, the resort was at 98% occupancy. Why? Enough light for 36 holes and lots of big groups come down from the NW. In fact, I had to book this in January of 2018. If you want February of 2020, it is already too late as the groups have already booked this time.

I concur that you can get a second 18 at Bandon Trails any of the afternoons. As a single, you may find openings in the mornings on any of the big three, Dunes, Pacific, Old Mac. There will probably be a group with a threesome.

You can even get in 36 holes if you tee off at 930 am if you head over to Trails afterwards. I once teed of at Bandon Dunes at 230 pm and played 18 holes. I did not catch a group until the 13th hole. Another time, I played the Preserve and then teed off at Trails at 4pm and played 15 holes. I am not a big fan of the Preserve because of too many short holes, less than 100 yards. But the scenery is some of the best on the property.

Course conditions should be good. In 2017, there was a lot of rain and some bunkers at Pacific Dunes had water in them. And there was a pond in front of no. 7 tee.  There could be frost delays. We had one but still was able to get in 36 holes beginning on Trails at 9am and then Bandon at 130 pm.   If you only play 18 holes, Shorty's is lots of fun to play in order and then play it cross country where the winner picks the next flag.

Another option, play the Preserve in the morning and then tee off at 1130 am on one of the other courses.

Steve_Lovett:
Thanks for the advice and suggestions... This little detour will be an awesome add-on to visiting my daughter in Ashland!

So..... I was able to secure a room at the Inn and was told that, as a single, I will have plenty of flexibility as it relates to golf.

Scott, I'll reach out privately and would enjoy catching up for a drink or dinner.

I'll be grateful for any other suggestions about any aspect of the resort, golf, caddies, town, or whatever from those who have been there.

Joe Sponcia:
Steve

Pre-book (now) your early rounds.  When I went at the end of October, I barely got in my 2nd round due to atrocious pace (4.5 one day, nearly 5 at PD)...so I'm not sure If I would ever pre-book the afternoon (Caddy's make people play amazingly slower than usual - not caddies fault, it's the people). 

I didn't stay on the property...nothing really for a single without forking over a ton of money, but drove about 12 mins each morning and was perfectly happy.  For a group, I would have stayed on-site. 

Play Old Mac in the morning if you can, wind in the afternoon is brutal.  Everything you don't care a ton about will be exceptional:  Service, food size/pricing, shuttles, ship sticks drop off, gargantuan size of beers, but other things may annoy you: pace, long green to tee walks, if you walk, those rickshaw things are awful.

Don't skip the preserve.  It's worth the time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version