GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Feature Interview with Robert McGuirk

(1/6) > >>

Joe Andriole:
Life is an accumulation of experiences and interactions and some of my best episodes have involved golf travel (even when saddled with Ran). Last summer while playing my way through East Sussex and Kent I happened upon Prince’s Golf Club and its very congenial manager, Rob McGuirk and added a chapter. I had only played a few holes at Prince’s – many years ago at dusk after a wine-laden dinner. While that caper had its own worth it did not foreshadow the marvelous interaction of the links, true golf aficionados and history that occurred this past August. It was that kind of day that made you realize why you love golf.

Rob McGuirk started his golfing career at the age of 4 when his father purchased the former Open Championship venue, Prince’s, Sandwich. He became a very accomplished player and was a part of the England Squad with Justin Rose and Luke Donald before turning professional in1996. He competed on the European Challenge Tour for a number of years and played a handful of European Tour events before a knee injury cut short his playing career in 2005. While still a "stick" his primary focus is his duties as the PGA professional managing Prince’s for his family. More accurately, he’s the spiritual leader of Prince’s and has imbued the place with a great sense of its history and purposed it for the best of golf. He’s even recovered Gene Sarazen’s famous sand wedge!

While Prince’s does not have the glorious landforms of its nearest neighbor, it is replete with those little bumps and slopes that define linksland. Plus, it maintains a greater connection to the sea, its sounds, scents and winds. The current course(s) are well conceived, properly maintained and nicely varied. Accommodations and meal service are among the best in Britain and perfectly suited for the experience. Indeed, time at Princes is well spent.

Robert has kindly agreed to be this month’s feature interviewee and I hope you enjoy his words and images about a special place he clearly loves.

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview-with-robert-mcguirk/

Adam Lawrence:
Prince's is a very special place. It has a totally different vibe to most of the classic courses in the UK, and that is down to the McGuirks. It's not democratic exactly, not is it, thankfully, just an upmarket pay and play. It's like you are going to play golf in Rob, Ali and co's garden.

Sean_A:
Joe

Thanks for the interview.  Did you visit Princes around the time we met at Sunningdale?

I am a big fan of the Shore/Dunes combo and think it should be included as a candidate for top 50 GB&I.  Robert was very generous with his time when I had questions and in allowing me to have a good look around a few years ago. I wish we could have met, but thats on me!

Ciao

Thomas Dai:
I always enjoy reading these interviews, there’s always something new to learn, so thank you Robert and Joe.
Atb

Sam Krume:
Having played at Princes many many times over the last 10 years or so, I would also like to add that it is a course not to be missed. I havent managed to get down to see the renovation of the Himalayas but by all account, its quite good(was always the poor relation of the 3 9's).I also believe that there are some ground works now starting on the dunes 9. I think they are removing one of the par 3's.Rob is a lovely fellow, giving you his time, more than happy to chat away about the club, what their plans are and more than that, he just wants you to enjoy your day on their links....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version