News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

"Pine Valley In Florida"
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
A friend sent along these two articles asking if anyone has any additional information regarding the ambitious course/club that is described herein.   

Certainly the men who were endeavoring to build this club were some very heavy hitters, and since this was well before the Depression (1926) it's unlikely that funding was an issue.   Was the course ever built?

I'm also curious about the land in this area, which looks to be about a half-hour west of Orlando.   Is it suitable for the type of course they were describing?   I see "Howey-in-the-Hills" which is rolling terrain is north of there but I don't recall the land due west of Orlando being quite so advantageous.
Appreciative of any information folks here may have, thanks!

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

Re: "Pine Valley In Florida"
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
Mike:

Do you have the sources for those articles?  Be helpful to piece it together with this other  article on a course in Clermont from 1927.

Jan. 17, 1927 Tampa Tribune -

Even though this was before the Depression, there were a number of events that took place in Florida in the late 1920's that curtailed a good bit of development.  There were a number of bad storms that wiped out projects, and the state went through a bit of a real estate bust right around the time this project was taking shape.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
Thanks, Sven...yes, sorry about that. 

The first article is August 8th, 1926 from the Tampa Tribune.

The second article is August 6th, 1926 from the Orlando Sentinel.

I did come across a bit more info and it seems that the project was folded under a group call the "Clermont Hill & Lake" company, who also had to restructure their financing in January of 1927.   

Thanks, again.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »
The Palisades course was noted in a 1930 list of courses in Florida as an 18 hole 6,240 yard course.  That is the only evidence I have of it coming into existence.

The only other course I have a record of from Clermont is the Lake Highland Club which dates from much earlier.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
Interesting find. This would have been something along the Lake Wales Ridge -which has the topography described in spades - along present day US 27. Lake Louisa is south of Clermont. If any of you got to play Sugarloaf Mountain it was built on the same geologic feature only just north of Clermont.

As Sven alluded to, any projects in Florida built between 1925 and the Depression were generally at-risk and several such as Stiles and Van Kleek's Highland Florida nee Lekarica nee Highland Park and Flynn's Cleveland Heights were never really completed though they both survive in some form.

Just south as noted in the Wexler books were Stiles and Van Kleek courses in Davenport (near present-day Southern Dunes) and Sebring.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Thanks, Sven & Kyle,

It appears that a course called Palisades in Clermont recently went belly-up for condos.   Not sure if it's the one built originally by W.D. Clark as an associated article mentions that it was a 1990s Joe Lee design, but given the name the same it likely had some connection.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43:56 AM »

Mike,

The Palisades you read about was a '91 Joe Lee course. I doubt it had any relationship to the project you're researching other than the name. It was a basic course with some big topographical swings. In that same area are Green Valley CC, The Legends, Bella Colina and some others. Orange County National is not far away.

As Kyle says, they all are built on a giant sand ridge and feature prominent topography and incredible site potential. Lots of mediocre golf out there on great land. Creating something spectacular would have been possible.

What do you know about W.D. Clark?
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
Thanks, Derek!

The little I know about W.D. Clark is that he was originally  based in Chicago and designed a few courses in the Midwest, as far north of Minnesota, and that he also designed some courses in Florida, among them Palatka and New Smyrna Beach.   

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
Thanks, Derek!

The little I know about W.D. Clark is that he was originally  based in Chicago and designed a few courses in the Midwest, as far north of Minnesota, and that he also designed some courses in Florida, among them Palatka and New Smyrna Beach.

He also did Bartow, all too often mis-attributed to Ross. The Bartow aerial is interesting, the bunkering on the 9-hole course suggests some level of sophistication. The Henry Knight listed here also built Palma Ceia for Tom Bendelow prior to Ross's addition of 9-holes.

http://floridahistoricgolftrail.com/courses/bartow-golf-course/?alttemplate=FeaturedCoursePage

The New Smyrna course was likely 9-holes, as well since Ross is the correct designer of record and the course is likely the last Donald Ross course to be built - construction was continued after his death by J.B. McGovern, who didn't finish construction before his ultimate demise.

http://floridahistoricgolftrail.com/courses/new-smyrna-golf-club/?alttemplate=FeaturedCoursePage

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
Interesting regarding Clark. Another occasional Florida-based poster here, Jay Revell, said that Clark designed Palatka (which is a really neat, short course, especially the second nine) along with Hyde Park in Jacksonville. I heard elsewhere that there was some type of drawing or routing map of Palatka in the Tufts Archives that had Ross's signature on it, and likely Clark carried out construction.
@feedtheball

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
Interesting regarding Clark. Another occasional Florida-based poster here, Jay Revell, said that Clark designed Palatka (which is a really neat, short course, especially the second nine) along with Hyde Park in Jacksonville. I heard elsewhere that there was some type of drawing or routing map of Palatka in the Tufts Archives that had Ross's signature on it, and likely Clark carried out construction.

Derek,

I may be wrong but I believe that Brad Klein and others have found no indication that Ross had anything to do with Palatka.   Perhaps someone from the Tufts Archives may have some information on their holdings?

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 02:17:48 PM »

Derek,

I may be wrong but I believe that Brad Klein and others have found no indication that Ross had anything to do with Palatka.   Perhaps someone from the Tufts Archives may have some information on their holdings?

Completely unverified -- someone sent a message to me. We should stick to Klein. Thanks Mike.
@feedtheball

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »

The Henry Knight listed here also built Palma Ceia for Tom Bendelow prior to Ross's addition of 9-holes.

Curious where you get the info of Ross adding 9 holes.  The course had 18 holes from the get go.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
Here's a list of Clark projects:

Omaha Field Club (Omaha, NE) - Added 3 holes, 1913
Minneapolis GC w/Willie Park (Minneapolis, MN) - 18 holes, 1916
Columbia Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN) - 9 holes, 1919
Glenwood Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN - Added 9 holes, 1919
Oak Ridge GC (Minneapolis, MN) - 9 holes, 1921
Columbia Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN) - Revised 9 holes, Added 9 holes, 1922
Francis A. Gross GC aka Armour Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN) - 18 holes, 1925

Mount Plymouth CC - St. Andrews Course (Orlando, FL) - 18 holes, 1925
Palatka Municipal GC (Palatka, FL) - 18 holes 1925
Lake Avalon CC (Winter Garden, FL) - 18 holes, 1926
Plant City G&CC (Plant City, FL) - 9 holes, 1926
Palisade GC (Clermont, FL) - 18 holes, 1927
Jacksonville Beach CC (Jacksonville Beach, FL) - 9 holes, 1928

I've also seen his name attached to Meadowbrook GC aka Southwest GC in Minneapolis, which other sources have as a Foulis.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »

Hyde Park was a Stanley "Frank" Thompson design.  Curious if you have any records of Clark being involved at any point.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
A couple of quick things.

Saw a preview online of a book called "Images of America, Clermont" by Doris Bloodsworth. It consists mainly of photographs, but there is an introduction, where she writes:

"The 1920's were heady times for Clermont. Juanita Films opened a movie studio, produced three films using locals as extras, and hosted a world premiere. Property owners witnessed an unprecedented land boom. More than $2.5 million in real estate was sold in one month. Land could change hands several times in one day. On December 27, 1927, the first foursome teed off at Palisades Golf and Country Club."

Unfortunately, the preview of the book only goes to page 31, where the photos are all still of the 1880's. It would be nice to find an actual copy of the book to see if there are any pictures of the Palisades course.

There is also this article from the Orlando Sentinel on January 9th, 1927. Here's a link:

https://orlandosentinel.newspapers.com/clip/22487211/the_orlando_sentinel/

Looks like this was originally clipped by Ron Whitten.

Not sure if this is for the same course as described in the earlier articles.

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Thad Layton

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »

Check out this photo from UF's archives from 1941- http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071761/00053/5x

While I can't find any trace of a course along Lake Louisa, I spotted a dormant 18 hole track about 4 miles to the East (look at the top right panel labeled  CTS 1B-14)
Here is a closeup-  http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071761/00005/15j

There is no trace of this course post 1950. Any ideas?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
Speaking of Florida mysteries, anyone have any idea if the Flynn course described in the following article was ever built, or even where it was supposed to be located?

Feb. 25, 1926 Orlando Sentinel -

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 05:58:53 AM »

The Henry Knight listed here also built Palma Ceia for Tom Bendelow prior to Ross's addition of 9-holes.

Curious where you get the info of Ross adding 9 holes.  The course had 18 holes from the get go.

You're correct, I mis-remembered.

Thad Layton,

Impressive find. Look at that bridge!

BCrosby

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »
Sven -

Re: Hyde Park. I recall reading years ago that Stanley Thomson had an office in Jacksonville in the 1920's. Have you come across any evidence for that?

Bob

Rees Milikin

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 07:34:57 AM »

Check out this photo from UF's archives from 1941- http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071761/00053/5x

While I can't find any trace of a course along Lake Louisa, I spotted a dormant 18 hole track about 4 miles to the East (look at the top right panel labeled  CTS 1B-14)

Thad,

That was Lake Avalon by WD Clark, I have some info on it.  The land it occupied is extremely rolling land and perfect for golf.

The sand ridges of FL sure contained some courses...RIP
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:12:38 PM by Rees Milikin »

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »

Hyde Park was a Stanley "Frank" Thompson design.  Curious if you have any records of Clark being involved at any point.

None -- I've always been under the impression that it was a Ross!
@feedtheball

Rees Milikin

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
Stanley Thompson designed Hyde Park, with a couple of the original bunkers still there completely untouched.

Thad Layton

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »

Thad,

That was Lake Avalon by WD Clark, I have some info on it.  The land it occupied is extremely rolling land and perfect for golf.

The sand ridges of FL sure contained some courses...RIP

Thanks Rees,
Would definitely like to hear more about this course and its architect...looked like a solid layout from what I could gather on the aerial.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
Here's a list of Clark projects:

Omaha Field Club (Omaha, NE) - Added 3 holes, 1913
Minneapolis GC w/Willie Park (Minneapolis, MN) - 18 holes, 1916
Columbia Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN) - 9 holes, 1919
Glenwood Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN - Added 9 holes, 1919
Oak Ridge GC (Minneapolis, MN) - 9 holes, 1921
Columbia Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN) - Revised 9 holes, Added 9 holes, 1922
Francis A. Gross GC aka Armour Park Municipal GC (Minneapolis, MN) - 18 holes, 1925

Mount Plymouth CC - St. Andrews Course (Orlando, FL) - 18 holes, 1925
Palatka Municipal GC (Palatka, FL) - 18 holes 1925
Lake Avalon CC (Winter Garden, FL) - 18 holes, 1926
Plant City G&CC (Plant City, FL) - 9 holes, 1926
Palisade GC (Clermont, FL) - 18 holes, 1927
Jacksonville Beach CC (Jacksonville Beach, FL) - 9 holes, 1928

I've also seen his name attached to Meadowbrook GC aka Southwest GC in Minneapolis, which other sources have as a Foulis.
Sven, I can fill in a little more information about William D. Clark, known as Bill Clark when he was head pro at Minneapolis Golf Club and, later, Oak Ridge Country Club. Clark also designed a course in Minneapolis originally known as Superior Golf Club, an 18-hole public course that opened with 9 holes in 1922 and was completed in 1923. The course went private in 1952, changing its name to Brookview. It is now once again a public courses. I can't verify his involvement in Meadowbrook, but it seems likely, since he was the go-to architect for the other Minneapolis Park Board courses. (Glenwood is now called Theodore Wirth Golf Course.)
Clark was elected to the Minnesota Golf Hall of Fame last year. Clark left the Twin Cities in 1926 for Florida and has no relatives in Minnesota.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back