News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Hohman

Errant tee shot, Six Feet Under, Season 1, Episode 13
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
I have been revisiting “Six Feet Under” (2001-5), one of American television’s best-ever series. As most of you may know already, each episode begins with a death. In S1, E13, a woman in her yard beside a fairway is struck by an errant tee shot.

Here’s a “striking” and “errant” thing about the scene which I want to put before the DG. The ball flares right, yet the right-handed hitter shouts, “Damn, I hooked it again!”

My questions:

1) Was the strikingly bad miscall (suspiciously bad, it draws attention to itself) an inside “joke” for the benefit of us golfers? Non-golfers get the simple message that inexplicable accidents happen. Only golfers understand the existential fillip: Meaning itself has flown off course?

(It is worth noting that the line is spoken by a bossy character who would be expected to command a basic fact.)

Conversely, did the creatives uncharacteristically – borderline inexplicably, in my book, since they are so good – err?

2) Where was the scene shot?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:27:42 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

John Kavanaugh

Re: Errant tee shot, Six Feet Under, Season 1, Episode 13
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
The woman in the yard was obviously facing the fairway while reading a book. She was hit on the right side of her head. The shot was a hook.

As someone who takes 500 balls a year into my yard I took interest in this thread. Thank you.

I also live on the left side of the fairway and just last week, while leaving for a golf trip, I cautioned my wife to watch for the golfers as she was picking up storm debris. She calmly stated that they won't hit her. She is not a golfer. I've played for 50 years now and am amazed every day that I sit out in the yard just how oddly the golf ball travels.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
Any car manufacturer building cars that randomly veered off course hitting innocent bystanders would be in deep trouble. For too long golf ball manufacturers have failed to take their responsibilities seriously and it is about time some concerned citizen took them to task. John Kavanaugh is surely this man!!!!!! :D

Greg Hohman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »
John, I should have mentioned that the victim was on the right side of the fairway and, iirc, facing the fairway, so her head was struck on the left side.
newmonumentsgc.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »
Its not golfs fault on this one at all....  ;)

If you want to hold anyone responsible, its the sub division developers who insisted on putting property lines right up to the edge of the fairway instead of offset a few hundred feet back...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e94QBu0yP5Y

The woman is clearly hit on the right side of her head. Slices hurt, hooks kill.

If the woman was in her back yard the ball would have had to carry over the house. A rather large house at that.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
Gosh, my bad. Wishful thinking that the scene was more interesting than it is. Sorry.
newmonumentsgc.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
It's very interesting. Oddly enough the most dangerous shots entering my yard are often from the high school girls team. The have a couple of D1 prospects who play from the ladies tees. When I purchased the house I shot distances from the regular tees and accepted the risk. Who would have thunk that golfers who can bust a drive 270 yds would play from 75 yds in front of the regular tees.

The course moved back the senior tees for me but there ain't no one with the balls to tell Suzy to move back. Not with her parents in the picture.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »
After watching the video again, I'm still seeing what I thought I saw originally: ball flaring right. Are my eyes deceiving me?
newmonumentsgc.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Its definitely a flare, and with a swing like that prolly not deadly...Doubt that ball went more than 100 yards in real life...

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
It looks like there is no housing to the right, just another fairway. So I would say they took some artistic liberties with this scene

Dave McCollum

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
That's show business:  if you don't see it, doesn't matter. 

Peter Flory

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 12:51:11 AM »
She hit a Calloway off the tee, but it was a Titleist that hit the lady in the head.  So many mistakes in one scene. 

Greg Hohman

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »
It is a carefully crafted show otherwise, so I am sticking for now to my position that the creatives are toying with us. Anyone know the answer to 2) Where was the scene shot?
newmonumentsgc.com

Mark Kiely

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 12:24:20 AM »
Weird all around. There certainly aren't houses down the right side of the hole, and there don't seem to be houses down the left side, either. Why not choose a course with homes clearly lining the hole for this scene?

Re: Hook vs. slice, I know golfers who confuse the two, so I don't expect TV writers to necessarily know there's a difference (although it is lazy to not research it to ensure they're using the right word). I think many laypeople just think both of those terms mean that you didn't hit the ball straight.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
I'm sure many of you will also find it abhorrent that the funeral home they used isn't even one in real life...and the interior scenes were shot on a sound stage   

I know very shocking...  ::) ::)

P.S.  i'm sure there's an online forum somewhere disparaging and dissecting all of Clair's art school scenes too...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:59:17 AM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back